R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All they're telling you is that you should use any digital servo with a high sampling rate such as 300 times a second vs. regular servos at 30 times a second. You should be fine with KO, JR, Hitec, Multiplex, Futaba, Airtronics and whatever.

Now I'm not sure about the KO FET servos which required an additional power input for the FET circuit. Now these you should ask both KO and Futaba about. Futaba is pretty good replying to emails so write clearly what it is that you want to know and they should get back to you soon.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:56 AM   #17
Tech Adept

I have two 3PK, one in 27MHz and one 75MHz. The 75MHz one get hits very easily and doesn't work with some of the crystals when I was running HRS mode. I had to go out and get the FM R123 receiver. Glitching is completely gone as soon as I start running FM, all the crystals work fine. The 27MHz one is less sensitive and it ran okay in HRS mode but the backlit went out and I had to send it in for repair. Depending on the motor, ESC, track condition and the number of drivers on the stand, HRS may or may not for you.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Ricky,

3PK's LCD is one of my main concern. That's why I'm having second thought whether to risk
buying one or not(no product warranty from my LHS). Why did you bought 2 3PK? How long
before the backlight went out? Have you experience radio glitch when using 27mhz? If so,
how frequent?
Baluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:45 PM   #19
Tech Adept

I got them with two Digital servos, each of those servo is about US100 at Tower. So, it's a good deal, I sold those four bigger servos and got a smaller 9550 for electric cars and I'm already $300 ahead. The 27MHz is a little more stable but the main problem is the HRS, the HRS is very picky on crystals/motos and if you're lucky, you can get a strong signal with no glitching. I get hits once in a while, not every run and not every day, there are some good days but basically you can't race competitively this way. You can get the FM receiver and run PPM mode for electric and keep the HRS for your gas cars.
One of the unit's backlit went out after about 3 hours, I work at a hobbyshop part-time and these kind of things happen all the time. Two years ago, I got a brand new M8, it glitch slightly and I had to send it in for tuning.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Ricky,

Since you are working at a hobby shop, did you manage to compare 3PK and the new Sanwa M8 III base on response time?
Was the LCD related problems easily repairable? Planning to buy another radio or satisfied with 3PK?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:02 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

hi baluga i bought a 3PK in our lhs in the phil. a few months ago. a couple of friends also bought their 3PK's here. so far, we have no problems with the radio. i only experience glitching in pearl plaza track, but i attribute it to the low ceiling and vicinity to the airport. but when i changed crystals (im on 40mhz), the glitching problem was gone.

my only gripe with the 3PK is that in HRS mode, you have to use digital servos. the manual recommends futaba digital servos (of course ) but im not sure if you can use other brands. i cant afford to buy new digital servos (which run up to
P 6,000.00 ), i just look for 2nd hand 40mhz FM receivers so i can use my standard servos. right now, im using a futaba FM micro receiver for airplanes. i have no problems running in rockwell, makati, cubao, or pearl plaza.

regarding the LCD going out, so far, we dont have problems yet. its a bit risky bec. there's no warranty. some years ago, i bought a new 3PJ that started having problems after just a few months of ownership. i sent it to our lhs, they sent it to futaba for repair. after about 3 months (good thing i had a spare AM radio ) i got the radio back, paid P 600.00 for the service, and it didnt have a problem ever since.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:47 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Marvi,

I'm also from the Philippines, pero singkit version. I might settle for the weird
looking KO Helios. I still prefer the looks of 3PK. Too bad for the no warranty
policy of Lil's hobby shop. What is the most used radio in your club? Aren't you missing
the HRS features of 3PK once you plug in a standard FM receiver? About your 3PJ, did they
sent it to Futaba Japan or just around the corner?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:39 AM   #23
Tech Elite

when i go to the track, there's a mix of the different brands of radios - high end or am's - so im not sure which brand has the most users. in my case, i'm futaba all the way because ive had more good experiences than bad.

about the hrs, i really cant tell the difference between the hrs/fm/pcm modes because i havent compared them side-by-side. and i think even if i did compare them, im pretty sure i cant tell the difference - i cant even tell the difference between a 9402 (analog) and 9450 (digital) i do use the hrs receiver that came with my 3PK on one of my rc's. i tried in on 4-cell 1/12 but it wont work - minimum requirement is 6-cells - so i used it on 4wd touring.

im sure they did send the unit to japan, because i also had a servo and receiver that were to be repaired - the servo was returned because it cannot be serviced while the receiver came back fixed like new. there were also a few futaba esc's (MC210 i think) that were with the batch of electronic stuff to be repaired. i think the reason why mine took more time to return was because they had a schedule for sending units for repair, plus the shipping to and from japan.

good luck on your ko ive seen that radio in a magazine and it looks different (to say the least ) from your regular pistol type radio.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I drive a 5th scale. Technokit TKT99E and I have to use the 3RD channel for the front brakes. I have never had a glitching problem. I am using PCM and my other 5th scale friends are using HRS. No issues. I do have a friend who takes his antenna out a lot. If it's not screwed in good he glitches. He's an 8th scale driver.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Marvi,

The new KO radio does look weird at 1st. After looking at various pictures that I have collected from the
internet a hundred times, I can honestly say it's not that bad at all. Although it does look bad w/ the drop
down wheel installed. Do Lil's really ship defective Futaba stuffs to Japan? Do they still practice it now?
In the case of LRP w/c you know also sells LRP products, Lils will not be responsible for shipping defective
LRP stuffs even if the item is under warranty. The customer will have to ship it on their own.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #26
Tech Elite

re. futaba products, i think they still accept units for repair. but to be sure, call them first. the last time i sent a unit for repair was a couple of years ago.

re. LRP products, i dont know about the service policy. but ive heard of a local racer (his handle here in rctech is "carbin", i think) who can work with some esc's. and ive also read in our local threads that some LRP esc's (v6's, v7's) can be locally repaired. again, im not sure about these because ive read these posts some months ago. luckily, ive never had an esc fail on me yet (crossing my fingers ) but a friend did fry 2 esc's (1 LRP quantum and 1 LRP V7) on back-to-back days. it was a freakish accident, something i dont want to happen to me
Old 06-03-2003, 11:50 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by marvi
re. futaba products, i think they still accept units for repair. but to be sure, call them first. the last time i sent a unit for repair was a couple of years ago.

re. LRP products, i dont know about the service policy. but ive heard of a local racer (his handle here in rctech is "carbin", i think) who can work with some esc's. and ive also read in our local threads that some LRP esc's (v6's, v7's) can be locally repaired. again, im not sure about these because ive read these posts some months ago. luckily, ive never had an esc fail on me yet (crossing my fingers ) but a friend did fry 2 esc's (1 LRP quantum and 1 LRP V7) on back-to-back days. it was a freakish accident, something i dont want to happen to me

hi, i use an lrp quantum competition esc, did ur frnd blow up a quantum competition? do you have any idea how he did it?

Aku Man: I run the same set-up, except for the crystal, i use a 40mhz crystal and have not had any glithn problms with my pk. I also use my pk in my micro car, i use a 1024 pcm rcvr with a futaba esc and s3003 servo, no roblm there either. I also have one of those bags for the pk made by speedmind so i remove the antenna whenever i store my pk, and still have had no problems. by the way 3rd channel is set to 0. and sometimes, if by accident i get to adjust it, i stil encounter no problems. hope this helps.

evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:09 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by evaa
hi, i use an lrp quantum competition esc, did ur frnd blow up a quantum competition? do you have any idea how he did it?
he bought a worlds kit. after soldering the big capacitor, he was about to set it up when it smoked. he said that he followed the instructions to the letter, he even noted the correct polarity. must be a freak accident or something. the good thing about this is that he sold me the esc heatsink that came with the worlds kit for a low price
Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

I have a 3PK and use it in HRS mode. I would like to use it in PCM mode for my 1/8 and 1/5 scale cars, but i'm not sure if I could just switch the mode from HRS into PCM or do I have to buy a PCM module and PCM receiver? Right now i'm using the module that came with it, I guess it's an FM/HRS module and i'm also using the HRS R203HF receiver that came with it.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

The radio itself can be switched between HRS, PCM, and FM without any additional hardware. You will need to pick-up the appropriate reciever though.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote