R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Tamiya Mini Additional Equipment Needed?

I have ordered two minis, what do I need if I wanted to bash around and also maybe the future race?

I currently have a spare radio, with two servos(Crappy ones), one JR R1 radio without any servos, and am getting 2 3300mah (see other post) batteries, what else do I need?
Or can you recommend a couple of servos?

Thanks

Sami
ttektek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 05:51 AM   #2
Tech Elite

An almost essential uprade to the Mini is a bearing set, which are pretty cheap, make the car faster and more efficient, and stop it from wearing out prematurely. Oil filled shocks will improve the handling.

As far as electronics go, I assume both your transmitters have receivers with them? Then, if you plan to use the mechanical speed controllers, all you need is two more standard servos (Futaba S3003 or similar) - high cost servos are overkill in a Mini in my opinion. If you plan on running electronic speed controllers, just use your current servos for the steering. The standard 540 motors are pretty quick in the Mini, and with 3300's you'll get huge runtimes.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

i assume your talking about the mini M03L(new bmw mini shell)
bearings as said above are essential they run so much smoother than the bushings that come with it. Hollow carbon gear shafts will make the drivetrain lighter and increase acceleration and handling. A set of m chassis universals will helpdrive line efficiency it will give greater steering angles than the standard dog bones and willeliminate any wheel hopping. Lightweight aluminium (yes im australian) dampers with a wide range of oils and a touring car tuned spring set (short) will lower the ride hight and that means less air get caught under the shell which will increase speed. (Try to make all the parts you buy as lightweight as possible) These are most of the upgrades i have done to my mini, i have also added a sport tuned motor ($49 in australia) instead of the silver can motor. My mini absolutely hammers along and has the best handling of any car ive ever had superb choice of a car.
kapock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kapock
...Hollow carbon gear shafts will make the drivetrain lighter and increase acceleration and handling....
The gear shafts don't actually turn in there, so they're really part of your car's chassis and not part of the "drivetrain". Their only assistance to performance is via static weight reduction.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

a better servo saver .
the stock one has a lot of play
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Here you go - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...builtowin.html

minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Other than
1) a full set of ballbearings, and
2) some good tyres eg HPI X-patterns
the M03 doesn't *need* any options to make it go.

Build it up stock with just bearings and try it first.

If it rolls on cornering your car is too high. Limit the rideheight/droop by putting spacers inside the shockers - Just run as low a rideheight as you are able to. (This does a better job than the swaybar kit.)

If you run on a large track with long straights, the Toe-In Rear Blocks improve straight-line high-speed stability. This may or may not suit your driving style.

We race SportTuned motors here, they're nicely suited to the Mini. Good turn of speed, much improved over kit RS540SH and the Mini is quick. Guys have tried hotter motors in it; although it might look faster on the straights but lap times do not improve.

Quote:
Originally posted by utieh
servo saver... the stock one has a lot of play
Cut some tiny slivers of PVC electrical tape to pad where the C-thingy's jaws bite into. Reassemble onto servo then tie a small cable tie around it on the outside.

But even without doing this, the little bit of slop in there doesn't cause any noticeable directional uncertainty anyway. Just run the thing stock first, then make up your own mind.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

I agree 100% with WC's post bearings, good tires build it stock then if you feel the need for refinements then you can go from there. The M03's can take a lot of abuse
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:26 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Another way to sharpen up the servo saver is to shave some material off the front of part B12, so it screws together with less fore-and-aft play.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
Another way to sharpen up the servo saver is to shave some material off the front of part B12, so it screws together with less fore-and-aft play.
Hmmm I guess we think alike.

BTW nice webpage but is that a dirty finger nail pointing at the mini? j/k
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:16 AM   #11
Tech Elite

A hard working mechanic doesn't always have time to scrub before taking a picture!