R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-03-2003, 01:35 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

i wonder if aftermarket delrin gears are available. this material seems to be lightweight and strong - could cure the stripping problem. or maybe make them out of the material used by the diff & bevel gears of the TC3 - i havent stripped the ones in my TC3 and ive had some heavy crashes. i did destroy arms, mounts, and CVD's, but thats another story
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 AM   #17
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by marvi
they have a poster there and the price is about Y50,000 so im guessing itll sell here for about P25,000.00 hopefully less. im also interested in the evo3 ever since it went out
Box price on the Surikarn e3 is JPY 54,800.

Evo3's box price is JPY 37,800 so there's quite a premium to be paid for the red bits & a few hopups.

Evo3 is a "limited edition" item, so Tamiya ain't gonna be cranking them out continuously... supposedly they already did a 2nd production run due to demand, and that was before the Surikarn car was announced. So if you find one on the shelf, grab it.

On the 414/TA04, belts still break and those silly metal outdrives wear out and the top belt pulleys amazingly quickly too.

As for motor adjustment/replacement... nup, Evo III takes about the same amt of time as it did on the TA04 just last night. You gotta be using a long Hudy driver though... if you only got kit's allen keys, hahaha you're waaay behind the 8-ball.

And oooh... I've got the e3 spur replacement down to about 3 mins!!

How?? Easy... I got some masking tape, and taped together the whole rear assembly. Now that the hingepins etc etc cannot come loose off the arms, take out the 8 screws underneath and the last 4 screws on the upper plate. Loosen all the other upperplate screws too. The whole rear end comes off as 1 assembly, the tape keeps it all together. Replace gear, adjust motor mesh then you just bolt everything back in, no problemo.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:49 AM   #18
WC
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
When I still had my Evo3....
Hey Itchy, has the car been prove "Jono-proof" yet???

That would be the ultimate reliability score...!
Old 06-03-2003, 02:38 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Actually, the retail price of the Surikarn EVO III is 49,800 JPY. The retail price of 54,800 JPY is for the 414m WCE. Either way, it is still an expensive kit (but very desirable).

Quote:
Originally posted by WC
Box price on the Surikarn e3 is JPY 54,800.

Evo3's box price is JPY 37,800 so there's quite a premium to be paid for the red bits & a few hopups.

Evo3 is a "limited edition" item, so Tamiya ain't gonna be cranking them out continuously... supposedly they already did a 2nd production run due to demand, and that was before the Surikarn car was announced. So if you find one on the shelf, grab it.

On the 414/TA04, belts still break and those silly metal outdrives wear out and the top belt pulleys amazingly quickly too.

As for motor adjustment/replacement... nup, Evo III takes about the same amt of time as it did on the TA04 just last night. You gotta be using a long Hudy driver though... if you only got kit's allen keys, hahaha you're waaay behind the 8-ball.

And oooh... I've got the e3 spur replacement down to about 3 mins!!

How?? Easy... I got some masking tape, and taped together the whole rear assembly. Now that the hingepins etc etc cannot come loose off the arms, take out the 8 screws underneath and the last 4 screws on the upper plate. Loosen all the other upperplate screws too. The whole rear end comes off as 1 assembly, the tape keeps it all together. Replace gear, adjust motor mesh then you just bolt everything back in, no problemo.

Last edited by KiwiKid; 06-03-2003 at 02:47 AM.
KiwiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:17 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Personally, I've always been a fan of Tamiya cars... but the thing that held me back wrt the Surikarn is that Tamiya seems to change its cars every year or so... and I'm a slut for having the latest car around... hehe
(Hi Arthur!)
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:14 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
The Surikarn edition will be unlikely to solve the stripping problem. All it adds is a carbon plate to make the one-way gear sit evenly. When I still had my Evo3 I used an alloy plate to even out the gear. It helped a little but was not much use in a hard crash so I don't see the carbon plate as a solution.

The reason it strips is simple, its the weakest point in the car. When you crash the weakest point will always break first.
You can take steps to minimise it but in the end the gear is considered a disposable item. Having said that though the weaker gears is the reason why the car is very smooth and free.

Its all a matter of compromise.
Gee and people complain about the G+ being fragile... I think I will take the occasonal suspension arm over internal gears anyday!!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:52 AM   #22
Tech Elite

well i'm soon to be a owner of a evo 3 surikarn with a 6T hacker brushless. i'll post my opinions of a relativley experienced nitro racer, now newbie begginer electric racer here soon.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:22 AM   #23
Tech Regular

If the Surikarn Edition is limited, would it have serial numbers too???
Wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:50 PM   #24
Tech Regular

And hello to you - so have you decided what car you will be getting next? i should send you a pic of your old 414m2 (I think I'm only using about 20% of the parts that were originally on your car).

Quote:
Originally posted by jwwu
Personally, I've always been a fan of Tamiya cars... but the thing that held me back wrt the Surikarn is that Tamiya seems to change its cars every year or so... and I'm a slut for having the latest car around... hehe
(Hi Arthur!)
KiwiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #25
WC
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiKid
Actually, the retail price of the Surikarn EVO III is 49,800 JPY. The retail price of 54,800 JPY is for the 414m WCE. Either way, it is still an expensive kit (but very desirable).
Yup, you're right!!

I must have gone across the lines on my shopping list.
Those 2 are sitting top of the list...
Old 06-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think its pretty funny that you ask "which car is better?".

if you ignore the centre of bopth chassis, they both have identical suspension on the outside... parts are interchangeable with each other...

so the only diff between them is shaft vs belt... if things break on the car, its prolly cause you crashed it and may not be a design fault so just accept that accident = broken car

i don't have a 414 but have been running a ta04r for over a year now have have had some great results. i have been playing with my evo 3 and i already have discovered that the setups on the o4 work on the evo 3 too....

so what would you like the centre of you car to look like?