R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Bring back the GP 3700 and the IB 3800s.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #47
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W. View Post
Bring back the GP 3700 and the IB 3800s.
They only lasted a little bit longer than these Ib 4200`s !!

Li-po has those old cell`s covered , their faster , last 5 times longer and a safer battery...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I ran some IB3800's foir over a year in 1/12th scale before they were done. For some reason all these cells seem to do better with lower charge and discharge current. Go figure.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic

I still have some 3800s and 3700s that are a little over a year old have still have good power for club racing. If ib did make 3800s again I would buy a few more.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
I ran some IB3800's foir over a year in 1/12th scale before they were done. For some reason all these cells seem to do better with lower charge and discharge current. Go figure.
Im with you. I have had no problems what so ever with my 3800's and there runtimes are almost identical with those of my 4200s but i have had so many problems with my 4200s that i hat em. I even had to wait 4 weeks to have the pack shipped back the the manufactor after there local tech rep didnt odo anything for mye. The whole process took 3 months. I would deffetnly like to a woory free battery.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

News Flash.......Dirtfest 2008....

I got to see my first battery explosion...

IB3800.....sounded like a firecracker going off

no one hurt..thank goodness

All energy storage devices have the potental to expell that energy in BAD ways if not handled properly....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #52
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
They only lasted a little bit longer than these Ib 4200`s !!

Li-po has those old cell`s covered , their faster , last 5 times longer and a safer battery...
Well safer I won't say for sure but I know if you ask the guy that was in are hobbyshop yesturday what is safer it won't be lipo..........as his real car was bruned to the ground from a lipo pack he was charging. The guys is very experianced and been using lipos and brushless since they came out. Just pointing out that accidents can happen no matter what you use for batteries.

If you race long enough we have all seen speedo's either smoke down or catch on fire so. We have some asumed risk in almost everything we do and in racing this is no different.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #53
Tech Legend

Kaaa Boom !!!

Too scared to try Nk-Ml now days....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #54
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Kaaa Boom !!!

Too scared to try Nk-Ml now days....
The guys said he was in the house because the pack needed about 45 minutes to a hour to be charged. He went in the house for 30 minutes and heard a huge KaaBoom and ran outside to see a ball of fire in his car.

Now funny thing is he was in are shop Sat buying more lipos and lipo charger. So he isn't worried about any perceived danger. Like he said it was a plain and simple mishap and could happen to anyone. No one was hurt and that is what matters.

He also placed an order for a few more lipos other than what we had in the shop.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
The guys said he was in the house because the pack needed about 45 minutes to a hour to be charged. He went in the house for 30 minutes and heard a huge KaaBoom and ran outside to see a ball of fire in his car.

Now funny thing is he was in are shop Sat buying more lipos and lipo charger. So he isn't worried about any perceived danger. Like he said it was a plain and simple mishap and could happen to anyone. No one was hurt and that is what matters.

He also placed an order for a few more lipos other than what we had in the shop.
I would be so mad if that happened to my car! Why was he charging in while it was in his car though? I alwasy take it out in case something like that would happen.
racingboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #56
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingboy14 View Post
I would be so mad if that happened to my car! Why was he charging in while it was in his car though? I alwasy take it out in case something like that would happen.
I think he had all his planes in the car so he had a packed that needed a charge so he figured he would charge it while he did a few other things in the house he needed to do before he could go to the flying field.

The guy said he should of kept checking it more often but like he said things happen and even if it was in the house he said the fire could of started seconds after he checked it so he was happy it was his car and not the house.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #57
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Did he not use some kind of bunker? A Liposack maybe? The only thing this story is missing is the part where he wrapped the battery in gasoline-soaked rags, and filled his car with baby bunnies that sadly all fell victim to the evil LiPo.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #58
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Did he not use some kind of bunker? A Liposack maybe? The only thing this story is missing is the part where he wrapped the battery in gasoline-soaked rags, and filled his car with baby bunnies that sadly all fell victim to the evil LiPo.
Not one time did the guy say lipos where a bad thing...............hell he bought a few new lipos and orded a few other ones. If you charge batteries bad things can happen no matter if they lipo, nicads or nimh. You can take all the precautions you want but sometimes bad things just happen. You see it everyday with life in general. Can't live in glass houses all the time.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #59
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Not one time did the guy say lipos where a bad thing...............hell he bought a few new lipos and orded a few other ones. If you charge batteries bad things can happen no matter if they lipo, nicads or nimh. You can take all the precautions you want but sometimes bad things just happen. You see it everyday with life in general. Can't live in glass houses all the time.
I totally agree. But charging batteries unattended without the use of a bunker in an enclosed space (like a car) is like breaking rules #1, #2 and #3 of proper battery safety. I'm glad nothing worse happened. Hopefully he's more careful now. No doubt, people need to be aware of these things. Increased awareness about battery safety is a good thing. We're in trouble if people grow complacent, or think they're safe because "it hasn't happened to them."
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #60
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I totally agree. But charging batteries unattended without the use of a bunker in an enclosed space (like a car) is like breaking rules #1, #2 and #3 of proper battery safety. I'm glad nothing worse happened. Hopefully he's more careful now. No doubt, people need to be aware of these things. Increased awareness about battery safety is a good thing. We're in trouble if people grow complacent, or think they're safe because "it hasn't happened to them."
I also agree with them be unattended is wrong............but then again I know have been guilty of this but nothing has ever happened. I'm very aware that that is a bad thing and more I think about it I won't be doing that anymore. Not like I have done it alot but I won't act like I do everything perfect because I'm just as guilty as many.

You did mention about a lipo sack. I will have to look into those. Would be a nice safety product ot have around.