R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Cost of Parts - Crazy

Last night I was looking for spare parts and noticed how crazy spare part prices are.

I have an XRAY T2 '007, and was looking to purchase a full extra set of CVD's. Using Ampdraw as a parts source, all the parts to build a single extra CVD for a T2 '007 would cost about $42.00, or $185 with shipping for a full set. That my friends means that 4x CVD's would end up costing almost 1/2 the price of a complete new kit.

I'm wondering if XRAY, or any company, has considered making a Spare Parts Kit. Basically include everything from a normal kit that is a normal wear/breakable item. You could exclude the upper/lower chassis, bulkheads, turn buckles, and screws. The spare cost prices of the chassis and bulkheads are priced high enough that you could sell the "Parts Kit for 1/2 the cost of a full kit w/o worrying about people buying a Spare Parts Kit and the Chassis/Bulkheads separately to make a full kit.

The Spare Parts Kit would get you a full set of shocks, bearings, CVD's, Belts, Pulleys, plus 2-sets of Arms, C-Hubs, and Uprights.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

For some reason Xray only gives you a discount on their "magic" spring steel that bends just like every other steel when you buy a car. Hence why I have a losi now, I think the bone and axle is $11.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

that the hight price of running xray!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Last night I was looking for spare parts and noticed how crazy spare part prices are.

I have an XRAY T2 '007, and was looking to purchase a full extra set of CVD's. Using Ampdraw as a parts source, all the parts to build a single extra CVD for a T2 '007 would cost about $42.00, or $185 with shipping for a full set. That my friends means that 4x CVD's would end up costing almost 1/2 the price of a complete new kit.

I'm wondering if XRAY, or any company, has considered making a Spare Parts Kit. Basically include everything from a normal kit that is a normal wear/breakable item. You could exclude the upper/lower chassis, bulkheads, turn buckles, and screws. The spare cost prices of the chassis and bulkheads are priced high enough that you could sell the "Parts Kit for 1/2 the cost of a full kit w/o worrying about people buying a Spare Parts Kit and the Chassis/Bulkheads separately to make a full kit.

The Spare Parts Kit would get you a full set of shocks, bearings, CVD's, Belts, Pulleys, plus 2-sets of Arms, C-Hubs, and Uprights.
YIKES! When I first read this I thought you were reading something wrong. But you are right!

I wish companies would offer "crash kits".

I think I would like to see the following in the kit:

Steering knuckles
C Hubs
Steering block bushings
Rear hubs
Front and rear arms
Belts front and rear
Diff rebuild kit
One set of pulleys
One set of out drives
Set of hinge pins
Two full CVD's

These are all parts that you could damage any given day. I would buy this spare parts kit when I get a new car.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
PDM
Tech Adept

You did not read the interview of mr. Hudy showing their facilities and the new area where they are able to reproduce any layout of a track around the world in a covered space with temperature and humidity control?

My friend that cost money, and who do you think will pay for that?

Xray buyers of course!

But about those parts. When I had a Shumacher I decide to buy a second hand kit for that. Cheaper and with any possible part you will need. I decide that after my first order for parts just to cover suspension items, it was so expensive that with more 50 euros I would buy that second hand kit.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

that is why I dumped m T2.....
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
You did not read the interview of mr. Hudy showing their facilities and the new area where they are able to reproduce any layout of a track around the world in a covered space with temperature and humidity control?

My friend that cost money, and who do you think will pay for that?

Xray buyers of course!
Nice, now they can offer a version of their car specific to your local track!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
PDM
Tech Adept

Or put their drivers in advantage in any track of the world
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
PDM
Tech Adept

twice
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

you get what you pay for. I will continue to buy and run Xray.

-side note, Corallys parts will make your eyes bleed as well
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Tech Master

+Schumacher Parts
Any European manufacturers parts are expensive
14 british Pounds for Diff pulley Ripp offf
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
+Schumacher Parts
In the UK, we get ripped of for everything. Team Associated parts normally sell at "pounds for dollars". Since the exchange rate is currently over 2 USD to 1 GBP, that means we are paying double the US price.

This probably explains Schumacher's parts prices. They set their prices to compare with the cost of other manufacturer's parts in British shops.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Where I live is R//C racing dominated by Tamiya. Other brands are not available or expensive. Thankfully due to internet we are able to get our parts cheaper overseas. I mostly buy my stuff from Japan or Hongkong
Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default xray parts

I have an xray t2, losi type-r, and a tamiya 415 (original tank version). The xray parts are by far the highest. The durability of the 3 cars goes, tamiya, xray, losi. I agree that the most overpriced thing on an xray are the universal bones. They cost $18 each mail order. The tamiya bones cost $12 a set. I bought my t2 used with a box of parts. I also spent $40 for a complete used set of pins, universals, and rod ends on rctech.net.

I am of the opinion that if xray made the bones 1 or 2mm thicker, they would be 5 or 10 times stronger. That being said, since many people run xray, why would they make their bones stronger? Just like a real car, the money is in the parts, not in the original kit.

xray, corally, etc part prices sure make 1/12 scale look cheap.

If you don't like the part prices, get the losi type-r, or the tc5. On the losi, for $6 you get a set of left and right arms (1/2 price of x-ray), for $7 you get a set of c hubs and knuckles (1/3 price of x-ray.) For $6 you get a bone (1/3 cost of x-ray), etc.

The great thing about having a choice, is that you can choose. I also think xray would sell a lot more kits if they changed some of their part prices.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
+Schumacher Parts
Purchase from an american hobby shop and save a few bucks.

The diff pulleys are expensive because they are machined delrin, not molded plastic.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote