R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #61
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

I am thinking of picking a lipo up to try out. I have seen a few people running them and asked what they thought about them and heard good things which would give more track time and practice.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Ive been running 2 Orion 3200 Carbon for 12 months now. They are used every week for practice and racing (5 min practice and 3 5 min heats) and they run just the same now as they did 12 months ago.
I charge them Weekends, use them Tuesday topping each up once between runs but try not to run them bellow 80 % discharge (2560 MaH) because it shortens there life and they may need balancing more often. Up to yet I have only balance on pack once beacuse I ran it untill the Lipo cut off came in on the ESC (I forgot to top the pack off and wanted to run the final )
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #63
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
Last nite i told one of my fellow racers that i was going to run the new Orion 3600 lipo when it comes out.His first response was 'you are not charging lipos in my pit room,(Yeah he thinks he owns the place).
Only one type of LiPo's are allowed to be transported by airplane because of safety risks. As luck would have it they are developed by Kokam and are the LiPo cels used in the Orion LiPo packs. These cels have a hard casing that is designed with safety in mind. As someone else said, these appear to be the safest LiPo batteries on the market today. However it never hearts to be carefull
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's how I view it.

I'd rather lose my car to a fire than have an injury (or worse!) happen to myself or someone else due to a cell rupture.

I remember someone telling me they got beaned in the face due to someone overcharging their NiMH cells. He could have lost an eye because of that.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #65
Tech Legend

Default A familiar story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Ive been running 2 Orion 3200 Carbon for 12 months now. They are used every week for practice and racing (5 min practice and 3 5 min heats) and they run just the same now as they did 12 months ago.
I charge them Weekends, use them Tuesday topping each up once between runs but try not to run them bellow 80 % discharge (2560 MaH) because it shortens there life and they may need balancing more often. Up to yet I have only balance on pack once beacuse I ran it untill the Lipo cut off came in on the ESC (I forgot to top the pack off and wanted to run the final )

My story

2 Carbon`s 3200

purchase this Feburary

3 race days a week
average 6 runs a day

My Orion Carbon`s with unbelievable wear & tear still run like new...

Never have balance um either....

Can`t sell me a Nk Ml pack , don`t even try....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am the first one to start running lipos at our track this week.I am using Orion 3200 2s in my TC5.It has already become a pissing match cause some think that we are gonna burn the place down.I told them that there have been more nimh's blowing up than lipos and they should start thinking about what they are doing to their batteries/nimh's and don't worry about what i am doing .I use a lipo sac /safety charging bag and i keep a fire extinguisher in my pit as required by the track owner.Actually it was my suggestion so i could reduce the Bull$hit.
I think a lot of the BS is just jealousy,cause they want to keep their head in the sand and i want to explore new technology.Some seem to think that i have a voltage advantage even after i tell them i am using a 7.2 cutoff.
It is gonna take a while for soem of the non-beleivers to come around and in the meantime i will be enjoying the run,charge,run,charge,run,charge aspects of lipos.Ohh,btw i am gonna order a 13.5 BL system soon.That oughta really get their panties in a knot.
gurumods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
So who's going to be first to market with an explosion proof charging sock for NiMh packs?

The biggest risk is for the people in the pits within 20' of the person being foolish - they're the ones least expecting a cell to pop and hot shrapnel to go flying about.
.....here ya go... http://www.usmilitarysurplus.com/sur...5ab9bcdeeec00c
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote