R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You guys both have good points. You can't just fill up the forum with ads to certain companies. However, is it wrong to give something away for free?

I am just surprised that the moderator didn't send you a note or email you as to why they were banned and the thread deleted much further than "violating the rules"

Whenever something like this comes up, it seems that there's a lot of misinterpretation of what people are trying to say, and people getting offended, and thus offending that person back. I know I am not a moderator and relatively new to the forums, but I think we can all be mature enough to not let this get into a flame war.

I just tried to look for reasons why both of you guys would feel offended by each other. But I really just found that when Turbo Joe was making playful jokes such as "This promotional stunt is cheesy" (which was also a cheesy joke) this easily can set anyone off. You later continue to talk about how he can't just spam the board, and that he is going to contribute to a ***hole.

Now, all of these are valid arguments Turbo Joe, and I agree with you, quite fully on each of them. The ads were a bit cheesy, but not that this was bad. This was a true company trying to get their name out by giving away a few sticks of free batteries. But by saying that he is cheesy, you just sound like the only reason you mention it is because you wanted to make a joke yourself. Doing this takes away from credibility, even if you have a great point.

By saying that he "can't just spam the board" COULD mean that you are accusing Cheesehead of filling the boards with his ads, when he is in fact, not doing that. I know that you did not mean to accuse him of filling up the forum with his company's ads, but just look at the statement again and you tell me what you would have thought if someone told that to you.

By the way, spamming, as defined by forum rules are as follows:

Quote:
Spamming - posting the same or similar threads in multiple forums is not permitted. Please take a moment to review the available forums and post your thread in the most appropriate area. If the administrators or moderators determine that the thread belongs in another forum, it will be moved. If you are unable to find a thread you posted, a quick search will reveal its new location if it was moved.
If there was more than one thread like that, he was spamming.

Finally,
Quote:
Just think what a ****hole this place would be if everyone behaved like you guys do. Every shop out there giving away some stick pack would bomb the front page and there would be no room for anyone else. Just learn some manners and everyone will be fine.
Look at that, and tell me that you are just being informative that he shouldn't feel attacked.

1. You point out that he is making the forum more of a ****hole with the ads.

2. You downplay the idea of giving away stick packs and talk about how this would take up room on the boards uselessly. This guy is trying to make some people happy. Noble yes, but like you said, ASSUMED out of the rules here.

3. You tell him to learn some manners, and that this will make sure everything is fine. Your argument is that he is littering the forums, and the thread should not have been made, due to reasons still unclear, but regarding ads on the forums. But when you say that he doesn't have manners? Dude, that's taking it really far. Anyone can jump in now and criticize him for making that page for the company.

-To tell you the truth I haven't seen anyone else make an ad like that, where it is no risk to you and they are giving away something. All of the iPod ads I have seen are saying "Buy my iPods! Cheap!"

Their ad only asked for your name to be entered into a contest, and there was no obligation.

The whole problem with this situation is that there is a lot of ambiguity. That under the rules, advertising is as follows:

Quote:
Advertising -promoting a product, service, website, etc. is available via banner advertising. Posting of advertisements or links to websites in the forums is not permitted. We have paid sponsors of the forums and out of respect for their investment and to be considerate of the forum members, please do not post these types of threads. The users are here to discuss RC topics and we want to minimize the clutter by eliminating guerilla marketing via the forums. We do have a "New Stuff at the RC Zone" forum in which we post news and new product items. Users are welcome to submit new product announcements by following instructions outlined within that section.
So that is where Turbo Joe is coming from, which is totally reasonable. Joe, you just lost credibility when you started the ad hominem onslaught against this guy and his company. When you make a point, you can't just attack them and expect them to listen to you. When people are on the defensive, they don't listen. I wouldn't.

CheeseHead is coming from the thought of "well, I mean I am not just promoting my company, I'm just giving away batteries! Isn't this a good thing?" Yes, it is a good thing, but just not a place for these forums. If I were an owner of a board, I would make a thread for promotions. But promotions now are just considered as ads. (BTW, Turbo joe made his first comment about the title. Making the title in all capitals will get attention, but looks a heck of a lot like spam. Just read it, I think you'd agree.)

I really tried to stay as neutral as possible, but Turbo Joe's posts were filled with tons of examples of offensive attack, though after thinking about it I completely agree with what you were trying to say, not what you said. Turbo, if you're not offended by any of my analysis then I applaud you. But I do expect you to feel a little offended by what I said, not because I wanted to offend you, but because I wanted to point out why Cheese head replied to you as such. Personally, I offend people without knowing occasionally as well, so I am in the same boat guys.

As for this promotion, this thread was an ad with a good intention. But in the end, all it was, was an ad for the store you have. And on the quoted part of the rules I posted, they talk about how there are paying companies for spots. In a way it isn't fair for other companies to be getting free advertising while others pay. But then again, they don't give free batteries away, (see the loop?)

Hopefully a moderator can answer your question, though I believe it will be very similar to what I have said.

Can we all hug now?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

FEW WORDS HEH
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
Tech Master

Oh well, so much for all of that!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

haha I know, my signature is supposed to be contradictory
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

Wow Mooshu Beef. You put a lot into that response. You're a very level headed person, I appreciate what you have to say. Seriously my only intention with this thread was to let everyone know whom replied to the original post that it was deleted by the mods. Ced RC still hasn't received a response from RC Tech, and I confirmed with him that there was no warning, no PM, no email or anything, the thread was deleted without notice and his account was suspended until Nov 20th. Seems harsh.

Considering your lengthy response you get my vote for winning the batteries Mr. Mooshu. Maybe we can have a public poll? Oh wait, I better watch what I say I may be banned next
Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Haha, well I just hate to see flame wars over something that can be avoided had people really understood each other. In a way, that's how most wars start: miscommunication.

but I would be honored to get the batteries. I've been looking for some anyways since like I said the ones I got second hand hold a charge as well as lined paper holds water.

and no, I don't think a public poll is against the rules, though hopefully a mod doesn't delete this thread again...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

post #22 I AM ENTERED IN YOUR SECRET COMPETITION

and as i re-call those who posted more than once are disqualified from the competition (Turbo Joe and Mooshu Beef)
Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Miscommunication leads to problems in many different aspects of life, along with forum talk. Ced RC actually runs giveaways on rccrawler.com forum, but it's set up a little differently over there. They have rules set forth and the giveaways are moderated. You must be a contributing member to RCC to enter the giveaway, which costs $20/year, and the host of the giveaway must be signed up as a vendor, which costs $100/year. RC Tech is not structured like this, so it's just not the same.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Oh please...I guess you have your own definition of ad hominem attack:
Quote:
http://www.webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

Main Entry: 1ad ho·mi·nem
Pronunciation: \(ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem, -nəm\
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin, literally, to the person
Date: 1598

1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2 : marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made
His screen name is "cheesehead" in case you hadn't noticed, so the "cheesy" thing was a reference to that.

(...and they say that subtlety is wasted on the interwebs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
*Clip* self-righteous sermon*/clip*

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 11-07-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Yes, I did mean to acknowledge the fact that his name was "cheesehead" and you called it cheesy, which is why I said that that it sounded like a joke. It did make me laugh the first time I read it. Again, miscommunication.

And yes, I did use ad hominem wrong. I confused it with merely the "attacking" part, so I apologize for that.

I just hope you understand where I am coming from. Like I said, I understand what both of you guys are saying. The only reason I posted that long was to try to give as much of a neutral position as possible. However, as i had admitted, it is certainly not neutral, since I was surprised at the way you responded to his saying that the other thread was shut down. I wasn't sure if it was your attention to come off with such a subtle attack in your insinuations, which is why I analyzed it. I thought that maybe you might've not meant what was implied by what you said.

I know it is not my place to try to clear things up. I just thought that perhaps this once it would help this from turning into a flame war by making you guys look back at what you said and thinking about how it could be interpreted in an offensive manner.

There is no real way for me to say anything and not sound like I am not attacking anyone. But at least now you're probably more pissed off with me than Mr. Cheesehead. I don't need you to agree with what I said, but knowing that you understand my point is good enough.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm not pissed off at anyone. This thread will die on its own or be deleted like the first one was.

I frankly can't believe the first one went as long as it did, because it was a pretty big "party foul" for this place...the powers that be have locked/deleted/banned for less blatant stuff. That stunt was clearly over the line from what I can see. It really reminded me of MaxAmps' "I'm a spammer" T-shirt giveaway.

They could have just bought an ad for about the same money as the two cheap stick packs would have cost and they'd be selling stuff, instead of sitting in the penalty box
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Very true...

So...was there a real reason for the batteries being given away? Like Joe said a T-shirt would have worked the same, only the batteries could be more incentive to post, I don't think half of the people who replied to that thread remembered it was RC Slot doing the promotion.

Oh well.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Banned

Sorry to here about the ban. A slap on the wrist should have sufficed. By the way, I was on the first thread.
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

as was i
____ |_________________ |_| ____|
____ |_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|

HOP ON BOARD!!
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #30

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840
Default Advertising

RCSLOT -- Your thread was deleted for the original reason gave "advertising". Your ad being that it gave something away is a great way to advertise, it draws alot of attention. However, we cannot allow advertising within non-comercial forums. We see a potential problem of cluttering up the forums with ads from companies all over the place. We do not want to be a censor based board either. Simply a place for racers and bashers to discuss r/c topics, including products from any company. As this forum is free for anyone, money to keep this site going is made through the use of the banner/forum advertisments and a few subscription fees. There is no profit being made from this site at the moment, everything received is put right back into the site plus additional expenses. Our advertisment rates are very reasonable and advertising here is very effective. Just take a look at a few of the sites that advertise here and how well they are doing. With that said, if you would like to advertise here with a banner send any of the administrators a PM and we will get back to you as soon as possible.