R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2003, 04:44 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to doublest
Default New Brushes for Monster??

Hi my track has some fast straights but then theres sun tight bends towards the end.

What springs and brushes do you reccomend and where to get them in the UK.

Thanks
doublest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:39 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Putnam brushes work very very well in a the Monster motors, standard springs and Green Putnam brush on +ve and Blue Putnam brush on -ve.

Schumacher in the UK sell them.

Tony
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I like Reedy 767s or Fantom 315s. I think they both work really well on the monster, try a slot in them too, better rpm and less amp draw and friction. I like it this way.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:45 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

whats the highest possible overall gear ratio you can put on the monster without killing it??
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
Tech Addict

whats the highest possible overall gear ratio you can put on the monster without killing it??

That depends on so many factors, ambient temperature, track size, grip level, driving style, how free the car is.......

On a pretty big outdoor track we gear at around 6.0, on a tight indoor track you would certainly fry it running this high.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
I have gone down as far as 5.7 with the monster and it came back almost cold, mind you it was very hard to drive because you had to be so smooth to maintain your speed because otherwise you get bogged down and it takes time to wind out.

But I would not try anything that low unless you sure you can drive the car extremely smoothly and the car is extremely efficient.

I have geared it at 6.2 and 6.3 very successfully and it comes back cold, but again smooth throttle control helps.

For tight tracks I would go for somewhere in between 6.9 to 7.3.

Tony
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default monster

Hey guys i just got a new monster for my 414, its the pro version the one with the dyno read out ?? Do the stock brushes perform well or do you recommend changing them to the brushes mentioned above ?? How about spring combination ??
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: monster

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Hey guys i just got a new monster for my 414, its the pro version the one with the dyno read out ?? Do the stock brushes perform well or do you recommend changing them to the brushes mentioned above ?? How about spring combination ??
Hey Luie,
My Monster screams with the supplied brushes but I have heard the Reedy 767 brushes are a good choice at the first change. There is also a thread dedicated to the Monster Stock if you look back a few pages

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 07:41 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
I like Reedy 767s or Fantom 315s. I think they both work really well on the monster, try a slot in them too, better rpm and less amp draw and friction. I like it this way.
Both should work exactly the same, since they're both the exact same brush(Troy buys 'em from Reedy in bulk & relabels them, then sells some to smaller companies who do the same, he told me about it a couple of years ago during the brush shortage)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Impreza

I have had awesome luck with my MS running 767's with purple/red springs. By far the fastest stock motor I own.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 05:19 AM   #11
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Also check out some 1203's from Axiom Motors.

Axiom Motors Web Site
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
Both should work exactly the same, since they're both the exact same brush(Troy buys 'em from Reedy in bulk & relabels them, then sells some to smaller companies who do the same, he told me about it a couple of years ago during the brush shortage)....
Yeah I know. A Fantom Team driver over here told me about it. I just thought it was a good thing to know if you couldn't find any reedy or fantom brushes.

-Sushi Boy
Old 06-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #13
Tech Adept

I recently changed my brushes to 767 and hooked it up to my LRP pulsar comp, at 4V, it is pulling in 6amps. What should I be looking for more amps or less amps?
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote