R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

Why is it when costs of a particular class get brought up, people have to always bring up what is considered a "big race" to prove their point of what it costs to race that class? What ever happened to racing locally at your club tracks and just having fun? As mentioned above their is enough variety that people can pick and choose what best suits them for their budget, and what they want to get out of the hobby. (hopefully its fun excitement and friends)
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #32
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I think people in general see nitro while spectating and end up buying nitro powered trucks and cars. At the time they buy for because of the sound and speed they see not how much it will cost them.

I think it depends on the area you live and what type of facilities you have will determine what is raced.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Guys, the reason 1/8th scale is at a peak right now is because electric is at a cross roads right now. The big money investors do not want to invest money in a class that is currently being pushed for changes. There is no stabillity in the electric market at the moment due to the fact that li//bl is probly going to start playing a huge roll in racing some time in the future.
Now, here is how you make tcs prominant at the club level.
1. Make li//bl mainstream & the only class
(li//bl or run what you brung tc class)
2. Run longer mains w/ the li//bl tcs, give guys a reason to run them. Running a 10 or 15 minute main should do this fine while keeping the battery specs easy to meet.
3. The fewer classes you have the more competition you will see at the club level. The slower guys will actually be able to learn a lot from the fast guys by watching them. In mod and stock you will normally take competely differant lines and throtle aproaches.
4. Build a forgiving track, the more laps a guy can make w/out breaking the happier he is going to be. If your looking to make money off of parts and ect. then just keep in mind that a set of tires costs a lot more then a new front arm.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #34
Tech Initiate

Man I just have to say to all of the idiots that posted in the first page that those guys "only" made 5g's for the win...!!!! I dont know what kind of a hobby or job for that matter that you have were your compnay or sponsor will send you to a race or business meeting and you would make that kind of money in a weekend....I mean come on The guys that race supercross only make $5000 bucks for a win...Yeah thats right only 5g's and think about it the are risking there life.
zedrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Guys, the reason 1/8th scale is at a peak right now is because electric is at a cross roads right now. The big money investors do not want to invest money in a class that is currently being pushed for changes. There is no stabillity in the electric market at the moment due to the fact that li//bl is probly going to start playing a huge roll in racing some time in the future.
Now, here is how you make tcs prominant at the club level.
1. Make li//bl mainstream & the only class
(li//bl or run what you brung tc class)
2. Run longer mains w/ the li//bl tcs, give guys a reason to run them. Running a 10 or 15 minute main should do this fine while keeping the battery specs easy to meet.
3. The fewer classes you have the more competition you will see at the club level. The slower guys will actually be able to learn a lot from the fast guys by watching them. In mod and stock you will normally take competely differant lines and throtle aproaches.
4. Build a forgiving track, the more laps a guy can make w/out breaking the happier he is going to be. If your looking to make money off of parts and ect. then just keep in mind that a set of tires costs a lot more then a new front arm.
1/8TH nitro offroad is bigger than sedan ever was even at its peak. They have Non R/C related sponsors because thier cars are cross promoted better with Xtreme sports events.... I'm an on road only racer and I pretty much see why its more facinating to watch off road races vs. On road. ..... The offroad race promoters seems to put together a better track vs onroad make shift tracks. The first class type of races in the U.S. such as the iic in vegas or snowbirds is held indoors where nobody except the participants can appreciate it. Someone who is capable of putting first class on road events should bring it out to the public events such as import races which is the demographic for sedan racing anyway.....

As for the race Cash prizes, Thats just another bonus for those guys on top of the bonus they get from each of thier r/c sponsors.... Not a bad payday for doing something everyone else spends money to do....
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #36
Tech Legend

Default A Buggy driver`s word to the Sedan driver`s.......

BEAT IT !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Fine...1/8 buggy is not taking over.

1/8 buggy has way better trophy girls then electric TC races :P
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Nice video Nexus. The poor girl had it a little bit cold I have been racing 1/8 scale buggy and it is a different class than 1/10 TC I run now. BOTH are fun to do and for both classes counts: if you want good stuff it costs a lot of money although tires for a 1/8 buggy costs twice as much as tires for a 1/10 TC. I have seen brushless conversions for 1/8 scales but it will be a seperate class in the future. I race also 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplanes and we use .67(11cc) engines, there are also people who have 1/8 brushless hydroplanes but they are not allowed to race in the nitro class, so I think that is the future. 1/8 scale onroad is still there as is 200mm 1.10 nitro which haven't replaced by 1/10 electrics!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedrc View Post
Man I just have to say to all of the idiots that posted in the first page that those guys "only" made 5g's for the win...!!!! I dont know what kind of a hobby or job for that matter that you have were your compnay or sponsor will send you to a race or business meeting and you would make that kind of money in a weekend....I mean come on The guys that race supercross only make $5000 bucks for a win...Yeah thats right only 5g's and think about it the are risking there life.
only ONE GUY got 5k

I find it incredibly hard to belive that even the top guys make much of a living for themselves on such a measly amount

take out taxes, and whatever else you have to share and you don't have much left
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LOL....Artie's liver? funny name..lets hope it makes it..

Overall I think nitro is more exciting than electric racing. I would love to get back into onroad (it's what I started with) but it would have to be nitro. Unfourtunatly there is not much going on with onroad here in dallas right now, thats why I race buggy (which also rocks).

Cheers.
news1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie's liver View Post
only ONE GUY got 5k

I find it incredibly hard to belive that even the top guys make much of a living for themselves on such a measly amount

take out taxes, and whatever else you have to share and you don't have much left
You forget they get paid to race and get bonuses from their sponsors for winning and placing in A-mains. This is an extra $5k on top of what Jared would have normally made.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
You forget they get paid to race and get bonuses from their sponsors for winning and placing in A-mains. This is an extra $5k on top of what Jared would have normally made.
Plus it's still 5Gs or whatever it is after taxes he didn't have. Hell I saw a 1/8 Buggy race where the winner got a Yamaha YZ125!! Now that's a race with some "real" sponsors.

Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie's liver View Post
only ONE GUY got 5k

The top guys make money in endorsement fees and results bonuses. The guys who won 5k probably also received bonuses for these wins plus the 5-6k they already were paid for the month.

Races like these can't last long unless there is some added exposure like paying spectators or TV coverage.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i m not sure i want to watch races where guys are running for the 5k$ and see the atmosphere go down the drain because (pick a few):

- Some guy punted another and prevented him from going to the A-Main -especially if it s not intentional.. ("IT S ALL YOUR FAULT, THAT MONEY WAS RIGHTFULLY MIIINE")
- Some backmarket conveniently crashes into the leader into the final.. ("HACK, YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE")
- Some "teams" trying to play a group game in the finals.. ("HAH, IT S THE SPONSORS TEAM GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK")
- Guys buying a special engine, spending extra money, one set of tires per run etc.etc..

More tension overall, and probably a terrible experience if it turns sour. Not necessarly something id like my kids to see.

I know that the best driver always wins, it s all the "satellite" phenomenons that might ruin what could otherwise be a pleasant race.

I still think it s better to run for bowling trophies. If cash is really necessary, then sponsor local tracks or drivers beforehand, or book those models to hang around the track
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The top guys make money in endorsement fees and results bonuses. The guys who won 5k probably also received bonuses for these wins plus the 5-6k they already were paid for the month.

Races like these can't last long unless there is some added exposure like paying spectators or TV coverage.
Rick, how much did you make with racing? I know in the States it is alomost a fulltime job. Here in Europe most topracers own a LHS or work there besides their racing but most of us don't earn a dime with it and race because it is fun and make friends!