R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

Not bad 8th scale is taking over.. i think that is a fact..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

finally an rc video where its taken with a camera not bought from walmart.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3 View Post
NICE FIND!!!

Talk about a wardrobe malfunction!
That's not a wardrobe malfunction, that's exactly how any man would design such a garment.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Woot Woot
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Although 1/8th may take over as the "top-dog" of the RC world(in fact, it may have already done that), it will die out faster than any other form of RC racing unless something is done about the cost of competitive 1/8th racing.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1/8th scale racing, the one major problem for me however, is the simple fact that I cannot afford it. Face it, I'm not the only one out there like this either, and if you think I'm wrong, just ask anyone who has gone to a major nitro race recently on their own dime.

Frankly, I am stunned that anyone not sponsored by one of the tire manufacturers out there can even afford the tires needed to run on some of these tracks. Let alone, the fuel, bearings, motors(they don't last forever you know), parts, bearings, etc...

After all is said and done, you could be in the hole close to $500 after one weekend of racing....and for what? A handshake and a trophy.....? What, do you honestly think that every race is eventually going to have a $25,000 prize purse? I agree that that would be nice, but it's never going to happen(unless the CEO of Pepsi is an RC racer of course....which he/she most certainly is not.

I love 1/8th scale racing, but my name ain't Tebo, Cavelieri, Drake, or Truhe. Thus, I cannot afford it.
BuckMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMan View Post
Although 1/8th may take over as the "top-dog" of the RC world(in fact, it may have already done that), it will die out faster than any other form of RC racing unless something is done about the cost of competitive 1/8th racing.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1/8th scale racing, the one major problem for me however, is the simple fact that I cannot afford it. Face it, I'm not the only one out there like this either, and if you think I'm wrong, just ask anyone who has gone to a major nitro race recently on their own dime.

Frankly, I am stunned that anyone not sponsored by one of the tire manufacturers out there can even afford the tires needed to run on some of these tracks. Let alone, the fuel, bearings, motors(they don't last forever you know), parts, bearings, etc...

After all is said and done, you could be in the hole close to $500 after one weekend of racing....and for what? A handshake and a trophy.....? What, do you honestly think that every race is eventually going to have a $25,000 prize purse? I agree that that would be nice, but it's never going to happen(unless the CEO of Pepsi is an RC racer of course....which he/she most certainly is not.

I love 1/8th scale racing, but my name ain't Tebo, Cavelieri, Drake, or Truhe. Thus, I cannot afford it.
If you haven't noticed, a disturbing number of young Americans are in debt. Many buy what they want NOW, not what they can afford. The credit card is HIGHLY abused.

Other than that, I am actually curious as to how much is spent by the average racer for 1) a club race, 2) a regional race, 3) a national race.
I've never raced anything but number 1, but have been to 2 and 3 to watch.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

An offroad track opened up in my town this summer. I checked it out, drove a few friends' trucks, had a little fun. It relatively apparent, though, that it was more expensive than indoor TC racing.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #23
Tech Elite

There is room for every pursuit within the hobby.

If more people want to spend their time with noisy, smelly, heavy cars that are unresponsive to drive, cut if you crash (and sometimes when you don't) and need a pitman to help you out in the finals then go for it.

But it's not my cup of tea thanks. I'll stick to the electrics. Preferably on-road.

PS Would you say the winners of the meeting were "nitro guys" or "electric guys"? I'm pretty sure they are all 1/10th 2wd guys first and foremost. By any chance are the best drivers (who trained their hands racing 1/10th and 2wd) just glory-hunting in the less competitive but better prize-funded class?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #24
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMan View Post
I raced 8th scale one summer and attended larger events and it was actually LESS expensive than the summer I traveled racing Electric TC. Not much less, but certainly NOT more expensive.

If you consider club level racing, its even more affordable to race 8th scale. Though I think that brushless and lipo are helping bring down the cost of TC.

Electric TC is still my fav, but aside from 8th scale ONROAD I'm sure Electric TC may be the most expensive form of RC racing. Just too many consumables.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Club racing 1/8th scale this summer was way cheaper than racing my TC. I got 3-4 racedays out of my tires, and broke absolutely nothing. Just bought fuel, glowplugs, and shock seals. Ran a 45 minute main at a big race and tires are still good enough for a couple of club races. Tire life really depends on the track surface but I know some on-road club racing where you need at least 1 new set of tires per raceday and sometimes 2.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Here's the deal and IMO...

1/8 scale racing may not be as "close" as say electric TC but it's definitely not more expensive. Those things are tanks. Most guys I know have said the rarely break.

Someone posted being in the whole $500 after a 1/8 big race. Lets add up what guys are burning to run a big electric race. Guys might be spending $500 on tires and batteries alone...

I'm not saying it's the end all and greatest of R/C racing but it is the most marketable to the general public, brings in the most new drivers, easy to get into, and probably best bang for your buck.

If it wasn't then you wouldn't see these things at events like Xgames and other extreme type events.

Again I think electric TC is an awesome class but if the TC is to grow changes need to occur. Whether this is at the club and/or big race level.

example.

Novak Touring Car Championships ALL BRUSHLESS this year...nice
Halloween Classic - BL and Lipo Rubber tire class...nice
Scotty's home track Trackside is running a Trans Am class that is gaining popularity....muscle car bodies, 4 cells, stock motor, and realistic wheels/tiresets from HPI....nice.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Prize funds need to be consistant and fairly big money for people to keep going for them...

Sponsors need that money to give as a prize, without the money (which they get from sales, surely?) there might not be so much interest?

I wonder if it will crash and burn, or keep going well? Im not into off road, period, so I couldnt say but I guess my thoughts are just an observation I guess, more than anything else

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #28
Tech Adept

I saw that comment on rctvlive.com as well. It may or may not be true as my crystal ball is in the shop for repair. Unfortunately for this race I had not even heard about it. I read car action and other mags and I am sure it was mentioned but I don't remember seeing it. Who covered it?

No regular Joe racing is going to win the big money. This is a competitive hobby. Things run in cycles......off road gas has apexed.....there is no where to go but down from here. Not bashing gas off road. I love it. But you will see another arm of the hobby branch off and grow just like off road did and TC before that.

There is the noise problem to deal with in big cities, expense of suitable real estate to race 1/8th scales and finally the hassle and mess of gas that gets people out of it as quick as they got in.

If you don't agree with me then talk to the hand
microcrazy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I gotta agree with the guys above who have mentioned that 8th scale gas is comparable or even less expensive than the usual TC racer. As far as bang for the buck, they are going to be at the top of the heap.

They usually run longer heats and mains than TC and that means more wheel time which is what everyone is after when it comes to racing. They also don't break much unless you are just running on SUPER mongo tracks with hella jumps. Motors can be run for more than one season and you don't normally get into the horsepower wars that you see with TC's because there's more power available than most people can handle anyway.

Outdoor off road tracks typically don't have the high overhead that an indoor facility requires either. (This wouldn't be as big of an issue if more people ran TC's on the surface they were originally created for.......less than perfect parking lots.....gasp!)

Without a doubt, if I were to return to racing today I'd be picking up an 8th scale buggy and joining the fun.
Schuie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

nice video

old skool
Tamiya hornet
FF
depressedbunny is offline   Reply With Quote