R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to fastRCcar
Default Gotta Question Please Help

Ok I bought my first car of a guy on ebay I bought the complete radio system for already so all I need is a battery and chager. Here is the item number on the car I bought I know the price is high but I worked a deal it was 100 shipped with a bunch of spare parts thrown in to not listed Item # 3131790855. I want a battery that lasts I dont race dont think I ever will just a hobby I would like to get into. Nobody even R/C anything around my town. I keep looking at batteries and they say like 500 seconds a 20amps. Does this mean that I will only be able to run it for 500 seconds? I am sorry about being a complete noobie but I need this answered for me. I am just looking for maybe a 30 or more minutes of play time between chargings is this possible? Thanks for your time.
fastRCcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
Tech Addict

30 Minutes is a bit hopeful but if you get some GP3300 stick packs which you should be able to pick up for about $35 and use a standard Tamiya 540 motor ( the silver can motor that comes with most Tamiya kits) you should get close.

To answer you question on the numbers. 500 seconds @ 20 Amps means just that, but a standard 540 would only pull about 5 Amps max if geared conservatively so you would get somewhere near 2000 seconds or 30 minutes.

It's all a compromise between runtime, speed, maintainence levels and cost, you cant have the best of everything so if you want to go faster you will have to be prepared for less runtime.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

So I will just have to buy like 5 batteries to play with it for an hour then. I dont have a problem with that. Also should I just buy Radio Shack batteries because I am not racing just playing with it in the drive way? Or buy those expensive ones.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

What I want to know is why the weirdo seller included a picture of his (teenage?) daughter that has nothing whatsoever to do with the auction? Bit dodgy methinks...

Anyway, cheapo packs are ok if you're not racing, they tend to give the capacity, but the voltage is worse than the more expensive cells. The standard motor in that car (540) is easy on batteries anyway.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

thanks I thought that was weird to but the guy has really great feedback I just like the car I dont much care about his daughter I am married.