R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2003, 08:57 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Battery choices...

My 2400 have been used for about a year now...they still hold up pretty well. but I was looking to buy some more and haven't really found a good place to buy inexpensive ones with good number and NEW. I have noticed however that everyone seems to be selling those 3300's! I've not had very good luck with Nimh batteries...and I dont want to buy another of those packs. Any suggestions? My Ionic would always false peak Nimh's for some reason and charge the Nicads perfectly. I even sent it in for repair and got a new one...it still false peaks. :P

think I should give those 3300's a try? I race stock and I've heard that the 3300's are bigger and heavier than the 2400's plus you have to do extra maintanence to them.:P geez, why didn't they just make 3300 Nicads? charge, use, discharge completely, store.

now i gotta charge, be careful to not overheat or false peak, use, discharge, recharge to 50% or more and then putem away...
Kinda makes me want to give nitro another shot...
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

I found Integy 2400's and I have two of those matched packs ...they've never falsed on me and are still very strong.
maybe i should just go with them again...

I found maxim? 2400 matched packs on ebay right now for 20 bucks or so... anyone know about those reliability, quality?

I got a racer's hobbies 2400 matched pack but it doesn't seem to have as much punch as the integy cells...eventhough the numbers are higher... and it has falsed on me once or twice.

I shoulda bought the last of the ProMatch racing 2400 when they were on sale! Bet those woulda been great.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Battery choices...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aluma
My Ionic would always false peak Nimh's for some reason and charge the Nicads perfectly. I even sent it in for repair and got a new one...it still false peaks. :P

let me ask you this. when you charged up the 3300's and they falsed peaked. were the packs warm or cold

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Aluma, go with the 3300's. Not sure why your old NiMH's were false peaking, but 3300's will make up their weight with performance. They have much more voltage and lower IR than 2400's and can be used more than once a day. Also, you can get GP3300's for about the same price or less than 2400's. Pro-Match racing has very good batteries and i'd recommend them to anyone. www.promatchracing.com
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree..Aluma, exactly which NiMh packs have you tried? Some(like the first generation Panasonics) were VERY sensitive to false-peaking, needed a very narrow peak threshold to prevent overcharging them. But other cells like Sanyo 3000HV's & today's GP3300's seem to work well with a more aggressive threshold(I've gone as high as 9mV per cell on my original Millenium) & as Axiom said, they can be run more than once per day without any degradation in performance. Plus, their voltage & internal resistance has improved SO much, that 2 or 3 years ago I don't think anyone'd believe such numbers were possible in ANY cell, NiMh or NiCd....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:00 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

just a random question guys but could anyone tell me if it is safe to charger gp 3300s on a fan? ive heard some say you cant and some say you can.
thanks
johnny
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

they were really cold when they false peaked. and they were the integy 3000's (green/purplish) colors on the case.

well, if you guys say the weight is negligable AND the performance is great...then okay... I guess I'll try the 3300's.

Now which ones are better? GP's or Sanyos or ?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Definitely GP's........
Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote