R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Getting Back Into Racing... A Shopping List

Hello. I've been lurking around here for a while soaking up all the great info. I'm just getting back into racing after a decade of being out of it. I want to put together a competitive car for local club races (outdoor asphalt as well as indoor carpet) and would like some insight into my shopping list. I'm not planning on racing until after the winter is over, so I am wondering if there is anything I should hold off on (chassis, etc). This is just the major stuff, obviously, but I'd like to be able to compete at larger races without getting too crazy on what I spend (if that is possible!)

Thanks!

Hot Bodes Cyclone Moore-Speed

Futaba 3PM 2.4GHZ

Novak 13.5 SS Pro Stock Motor (this is the required motor for the club I plan to race at)

Novak GTB Spread Spectrum ESC

Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mah LiPo

Futaba BLS451 Servo

Team Orion Advantage Charger

Team Orion Stability Balancing System
Colin F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Tech Addict

I found this charger after I got the Orion charger and balancer. It does it all, as far as LiPo's are concerned, at a much better price. http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=185
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

the charger he shows above doesn't do high enough amperage to race with. I use the orion carbon advantage, but I also like the thunder power listed below

As far as a car goes I would look at the xray008 (it will be the technology leader) coming out soon, or the tc5. the tc5 is a really good car for the money. And parts should be readily available. Getting back into it, I would get a good car that is easy to work on, and the tc5 would be a great choice, that is what I wend with so I am biased.

Also make sure that they club you are running at is allowing lipo's.

As far as lipo charger goes, there are some thunderpower chargers that are supposed to have some advances lipo features and are really good for the money.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1718

that is the charger that is the best thing going for lipo's

Also I would get the 9550 futaba servo. and trinity is coming out with a 4500mah lipo in a hard case witha street price of $75 by christmas.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
As far as a car goes I would look at the xray008 (it will be the technology leader) coming out soon, or the tc5. the tc5 is a really good car for the money. And parts should be readily available. Getting back into it, I would get a good car that is easy to work on, and the tc5 would be a great choice, that is what I wend with so I am biased.
My concern with the xray008 is that it is such a new design. My past racing experience has been that going with a bit older, but more proven and refined design is typically better. The Cyclone seems like its really been tweaked out and I noticed that all the team driver setups are fairly similar which means that the car has probably hit a sweet spot.

I looked into the TC5, but there is something about the design I don't care for. The hubs seem fragile or something, and I recently have read of many users breaking parts. I am a pretty competent driver and usually got through races without crashing, but I still loathe fragile designs.

Quote:
As far as lipo charger goes, there are some thunderpower chargers that are supposed to have some advances lipo features and are really good for the money.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1718
Thanks for the link. Have you used this charger yourself yet?

Quote:
Also I would get the 9550 futaba servo.
What is the advantage of this particular servo?

Quote:
and trinity is coming out with a 4500mah lipo in a hard case witha street price of $75 by christmas.
Is 4500mah necessary for racing?

Thanks again!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin F. View Post
Hello. I've been lurking around here for a while soaking up all the great info. I'm just getting back into racing after a decade of being out of it. I want to put together a competitive car for local club races (outdoor asphalt as well as indoor carpet) and would like some insight into my shopping list. I'm not planning on racing until after the winter is over, so I am wondering if there is anything I should hold off on (chassis, etc). This is just the major stuff, obviously, but I'd like to be able to compete at larger races without getting too crazy on what I spend (if that is possible!)

Thanks!

Futaba 3PM 2.4GHZ

Novak 13.5 SS Pro Stock Motor (this is the required motor for the club I plan to race at)

Futaba BLS451 Servo

Your list seems good except I would still get NIMH batts for racing.
Lipo is good for practice as long as you add weight for balance. Some clubs still don't allow LIPO for racing so you might want to check your local track for rules before buying your equipment.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Your list seems good except I would still get NIMH batts for racing.
Lipo is good for practice as long as you add weight for balance. Some clubs still don't allow LIPO for racing so you might want to check your local track for rules before buying your equipment.
The primary club I race at does allow LiPos in competition, so I'm not worried about that. Is there a disadvantage to using them over NiMhs?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin F. View Post

Thanks!

Futaba 3PM 2.4GHZ

Futaba BLS451 Servo

Only things I would chansge from your list would be:
servo Futaba 9550 because its got a smaller case that will give you more room for mountaining your other eletronics and its more than powerful enough turn your wheels.I have been using one for two years now.

Lipos are great for extra runtime but are not a must have.I using IB4200's for Axiom(www.axiommotors.com) and running against guys using the lipos and thay are not any faster.You can two or three nimh's for the price of one lipo.Thats just my 2 cents.
Agama A215
Agama A215T
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
Only things I would chansge from your list would be:
servo Futaba 9550 because its got a smaller case that will give you more room for mountaining your other eletronics and its more than powerful enough turn your wheels.I have been using one for two years now.

Lipos are great for extra runtime but are not a must have.I using IB4200's for Axiom(www.axiommotors.com) and running against guys using the lipos and thay are not any faster.You can two or three nimh's for the price of one lipo.Thats just my 2 cents.
So you think I should stick with nimhs for racing for now? I was worried about investing in an older technology when there is a new one on the horizon. How are the life span's of on nimhs? I was still rocking the nicads in my day, so I'm totally ignorant about modern battery tech.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I would go with the li-po as your tack allows it. I just started using the orion 4200's and in the three weeks I've been running them I allready hate nimhs. Overall nimhs are not slower but much more fragile and require more maintiance, and as you alude to li-po's are the future not the past of the hobby. Also the nimhs fall off much faster thus you have to rebuy them several times in a year to stay competitive thus thay are more expensive to run. The futaba servo is good forthe reasons mentioned and I have not driven the cyclone but as long as you have good parts supply then it will do the job.

Edited to add: The only reason to use nimhs is if you plan on running at ROAR events as thay do not allow their use yet.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

if i may, id get lipos for practice and run nimh packs for raceday. especially with 13.5 the extra oomph (although just a little bit) might be what you just needed to win the race.

but that would mean you either need to get a nimh charger or get a charger that handles both. also a discharger/equalizer to maintain you nimh packs with.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
the charger he shows above doesn't do high enough amperage to race with.
From what I've learned with LiPo's is that, unlike everything in the past, charge rate really isn't relevent. I haven't experienced any difference in performance by using different charge rates.
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

"Also the nimhs fall off much faster thus you have to rebuy them several times in a year to stay competitive thus thay are more expensive to run."

So how long (or how many race days) should nimh's last before they should be replaced? I was thinking about getting into electric touring as well, but repacing several nimh packs a race season seems like a lot of money.

Granted, the older packs can be used for practice but I was under the impression I could buy 3 packs for a race season and be fine.
news1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

IB4200 cells lose runtime hard during the first 6 or so runs and then stabilize after that at about 3600mah (if they havent blown up by now). The more current draw through the cells, the harder they fall off. EP4200 cells dont have quite the punch of the IB, but have much better runtime numbers and longevity.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Checking out Tower's site the Futaba S9550 has been discontinued but replaced with the S9551 (that isn't available yet).
jblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

I suppose I am not quite seeing what the cons to going fully lipo are at this point. It sounds like that is where all the significant future development is happening so I am not sure why I should invest in nimh tech. Maybe I am missing something?

thanks