R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default RACING HELP!!!!

are there any books or references on throttle control and the correct line to drive in electric rc? i know the way to shave lap times is driving a good line and knowing when to let off the throttle and get back on it.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I would say the only thing printed that was any use to me was the Losi setup and suspension book. Gives you an understanding of how to change settings to get the car to handle in a manner you like. The rest is just track time..

Fasttrak
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Gonzo,

If you can get to your local track and spend a few hours there. Most racers will talk your ears off if you ask them for a few minutes of their time. You just need to ask when they are not busy before a qualifier or main.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RC Car Action used to print excelent articles on set up and how to drive. That was like 10 years ago though. That was back when the magazine was half readable. Now all they do is kiss the asses of manufacturers and tell the public everything is awesome even if it truely is crap. They focus on nitro offroad, which would be fine if they balanced it out a little more with some onroad and electric. The magazine has gone way down hill.

My point here is: If you can find a local hobby shop with some very old RC Car Action Back issues (especially the first couple years of the Touring Cars special issues) you can find some good info in there.

The most important thing is to practice and study how the local fast guys drive.

-Frank
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Try this. There is a tab for driving lines and throttle control along with alot of setup info. Alot of reading though.

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/
Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Try this. There is a tab for driving lines and throttle control along with alot of setup info. Alot of reading though.

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/
Ozzie thanks. that's the kind of material i'm looking for i'm going to do alot of reading. i just wish i could find an up to date book on this. touring car has been going for so long you would think the pro's would collaborate and put something together (like the XXX-Main Book) for us guys that need to learn the right and most effective or efficient way to drive, such as how to find the right line and when to let off the throttle and when to get back on it properly.
everyone says practice, practice, practice but if you don't know what you're doing wrong you can never get it right.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

No problem. The hardest thing I have found is actually trying new lines or throttle points. It is like a bad habit that is hard to break really. I have to force myself to try different lines. Even though they may not feel faster the computer will tell you the truth. Then change from there.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Try the Xray website and look for the T2 setup book. It may not have the all the information you are looking for, but it may explain how certain adjustments on the chassis will effect the handling of the car.
WinnipegRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegRacer View Post
Try the Xray website and look for the T2 setup book. It may not have the all the information you are looking for, but it may explain how certain adjustments on the chassis will effect the handling of the car.
thanks but what i am looking for is driving help. there is plenty of setup help in just what you mentioned the XRAY Setup Book. it's very helpful for setup changes but not for driving the right lines or throttle control.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I've seen one of my clubs top drivers coaching another of my clubs top drivers but listening to the car, lap times, and watching the throttle and steering inputs. The driver was able to run laps within 3 tenths of his fastest lap with only 80% of the top end, but at the same time, they were all within 2 tenths of each other. Overall, faster due to consistency with a slower car than the car with full power settings.

Shoot first for consistency at a lower speed by running 10 lap sets. Try dialing out a bunch of top end or adding some (a bunch) negative throttle and steering expo and be very purposeful about what you make the car do through throttle and steering control. Additional drag brake may be helpful as well.

If you take away the ability for you to overdrive the car and focus on running crisp, clean and consistent laps, you'll be able to discern what and how much input results in a good lap. Once you get a handle on running 10 relatively consistent laps without banging into things, add a bit more power back into the mix and repeat.

If the car is slower, but you're able to drive it more accurately, you'll be better prepared to handle a faster car with more power.

HTH,
Chris
ckearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Go to you local track and find the fast guys, ask if they don't mind pacing you for a couple of laps, this will give you a front row ticket to how the right lines are found. That is what I do , if I fall off the back I just wait til they come back arouand and hop in line. Most are going to take soem practice laps anyway, that is your chance to learn the line.

Other than that you hit it on the head, practice, practice, practice. I know it sounds cliche' but if you show up early and stay late you will refine your line to the point you can't get it much faster.
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote