R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Tamiya Rover Mini Cooper Racing

Hi I new to electric cars, and run mainly nitro. However would like to buy a electric car for mucking around with my girlfriend with. Are the mini cooper racing cars good for mucking around? Or are there better ones. I need:

1). Durability
2). Easy setup.

Also if I buy this whats a good battery pack, esc and motor for them?

Thanks

Sami
ttektek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
Tech Addict

For a mucking around car they are about as good as they get.

Simple to build
Very durable
Very little setup needed

With regards to durability though they do have a weekness and that is the front steering knuckles. I replace them with 50648 (SP648) TA01 T.Car Front Upright(Red) , these are much more durable, and they are a straight replacement.

As far as setup goes just lower the car to the point where the front and rear arms are parallel to the ground, you can do this by putting spacers on the shock shaft prior to puting through the shock body. This stops them rolling over to easily easily.

Also if you want different tyres you can try the HPI Mini X Pattern belted tyres, they give lots of grip and last a little longer then the kit tyres.

Batteries and speedy aren't that big a deal. I use an LRP sports because it's tiny and fits inside the rear part of the chassis, and 5 year old 1700 Nicads to run it, they last a good 10 minutes of hard racing, for fun I would get a 3300 stick pack and they should last well over 30 minutes of running around with the standard kit motor.

That's it, enjoy.

Tony

Last edited by defMondo; 05-25-2003 at 07:24 PM.
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks for replying,

Two more questions:

1). How fast do they go, in stock form?
2). What battery are you running? 3000mah, 2000 mah? Nicad or Nimh?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Mini's are not the fastest things in the world, but they are fairly quick, the stock 540 motor that comes with is ok. We race with Tamiya Sport Tuned motors and they are a bit quicker, probably 3 laps over a 5 minute race.

For fun the 540 motor is more then adequate.

The problem with mini's and faster motors is that you have to get the power down and it's very hard to do that on a very light front wheel drive car so you get lots of wheel spin. We have tried 23turn motors and over a five minute race they did the same laps as a sport tuned motor, although down the straight they were much quicker out of the turns they sauffered.

Batteries, I use 1700 Nicads, they are old but still good enough to race with. If I was buying one now for fun I would probably get a Tamiya 3300 stick pack and that would do for a lot of fun, by the time you have dumped one pack you will probably want a rest anyway, they will a last a long time.

For racing I would use 2000Nicads or 1700Nicads if you can get them, they offer more punch and are more then adequate for racing.

Tony
Old 05-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Hi again.

Have you heard anything about the new model for the mini as opposed to the one I mentioned. Its the BMW Mini Cooper. Has it got the same features or is better?

Sami
Old 05-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict

The main chassis components are exactly the same as the older mini cooper, except that in the BMW mini there is an extra chassis piece which sits between the front and the rear sub chassis to extend it about an inch.

Other then that extra piece it is identical.

Obviously the body is different as well.

Oh yeah, the older kit the chassis is a silvery gray colour and in the BMW mini the chassis is black.

Performance and everything else is the same, we were expecting the longer chassis to be a little more stable but we haven't found that to be the case, they both work just as well as each other.

Tony
Old 05-26-2003, 12:17 AM   #7
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What Tony forgot to add is... MELBOURNE AUST is the Tamiya MINI Racing Capital of the world!!
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #8
Tech Addict

That is very true.

Tony
Old 05-26-2003, 04:37 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Just a few questions please:

1). What servos are you guys running with?
2). What esc you are guys running?

Thanks

Sami
Old 05-26-2003, 07:31 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I'm running an LRP Quantum Sports, and a JR NES505 servo that is very old.

The speedy is a bit of over kill but it's nice and small.

Tony