R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which cars are best this year? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/188216-cars-best-year.html)

bigair 10-28-2007 11:13 AM

Which cars are best this year?

I didn't race at all this last year, and i have two complete HPI Pro4's from the period.
They were running in the a-Mains (stock rubber) most of the time. Now, two years later, I'm sure the "state of the art" has improved since then. So, My choice of new cars will be limited to whatever the local tracks support.
My question is, what should I buy to replace a full set of Pro4's?

Thanks,
bigair - http://www.TurningColorz.com

tbeardmore 10-28-2007 11:39 AM

TAMIYA TA05-R (Rubber Tires) -or- CORALLY RDX PHi (Foam Tires) :nod:

TAO5-R - Based on economic value.... and performance for the $$$

RDX PHi - Based on personal preference and quality preference.

AdrianM 10-28-2007 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tbeardmore (Post 3808177)
TAMIYA TA05-R (Rubber Tires) -or- CORALLY RDX PHi (Foam Tires) :nod:

Lets keep it real here....not just your opinion.

If you want to go fast easily here you go based on race wins this year...

On carpet (Foam): The XrayT2 2007, Corally RDX PHI and the AE TC5
On Carpet (Rubber): The Schumacher Mi3 and the Tamiya 415MSX
On Asphalt: The HotBodies Cyclone, Schumacher Mi3, Tamiya 415MSX

joe of loath 10-28-2007 12:38 PM

the hottest cars are the ones the drivers can take round the track without hitting the stripey bits :lol:

MonkeyNuts 10-28-2007 12:42 PM

It doesn't matter where they have finished this year in races, its all about if the car suits your driving style and if it is setup correctly. Personally i use a HB Cyclone and it is a very good car. But any car that is setup well will win races - Mi3, RDX, 415MSX are all very good cars it's up to you to which one looks best to you. The car i think that will be very good is Team Magic E4 - so good i am probably going to get one next month.

Liam

TurboT 10-28-2007 12:43 PM

I'm sure most racers out there will agree that pretty much any top-level car will get the job done when put in the hands of a good driver.

I'm enjoying my TC5 very much. Last car was an RDX, and the TC5 has shown itself to be a very tough car in comparison.

AdrianM 10-28-2007 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyNuts (Post 3808274)
It doesn't matter where they have finished this year in races, its all about if the car suits your driving style and if it is setup correctly. Personally i use a HB Cyclone and it is a very good car. But any car that is setup well will win races - Mi3, RDX, 415MSX are all very good cars it's up to you to which one looks best to you. The car i think that will be very good is Team Magic E4 - so good i am probably going to get one next month.

Liam

Is the Team Magic the car that has 3 belts? That has been done before and it has proven to be less than ideal due to drive train frictional losses.

Also, having the batts all down the center is counter productive. Sure the mass is centered across the chassis but it is more spread out along the length of the chassis. This compromise in the design to achieve a central battery makes the car resist turning into a corner and then hard to stop turning on corner exit. This is why cars like the the old HPI Pro3 and Losi JRXS(and R) dont always work everywhere.

The conventional chassis layout you see from Tamiya, HB, Schumacher, Corally, Xray........is most popular because it strikes the ideal balance beteen tranverse and logitudinal mass centralization.

heretic 10-28-2007 12:50 PM

aw jeeeeeez

L.Fairtrace 10-28-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AdrianM (Post 3808283)
This compromise in the design to achieve a central battery makes the car resist turning into a corner and then hard to stop turning on corner exit. This is why cars like the the old HPI Pro3 and Losi JRXS(and R) dont always work everywhere.

Please show me an example of where the JRXS TYPE R doesn't work?

morris 10-28-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace (Post 3808341)

i agree.

my typr-r car seems to be great out of the box....im just trying to make it faster now.........:sneaky:

ehlert 10-28-2007 01:26 PM

I would say the jrxs type r is the best. The car is the best for brushless and lipos. I have ran my car at trackside, harbor hobbies and oshkosh without any changes. The bottom line the car is great :ha:

Team Kwik 10-28-2007 01:38 PM

He must have missed Vegas Larry, you and Jason had cars that could have won it without a doubt.

At this point guys there may be a few cars that have big issues but lets be honest for a change. Just about any chassis is going to be capable of making the top-10 and winning some races with the right guys behind them. Larry and Jason are prime examples of how placing well at big events is more about understanding the chassis and setting it up properly than going with this week's hot car kit.

The same holds true today as it did 10 years ago, buy a car kit that's supported locally by your hobby shop or other drivers. Picking a kit that you can replace an arm on easily and find some advice from those around you means more than who won what.

Nick

L.Fairtrace 10-28-2007 01:54 PM

That was my point exactly Nick. Just because someone hasn't personally seen a car work good doesn't mean it can't.

MonkeyNuts 10-28-2007 02:07 PM

Yes the Team Magic E4 is the one with 3 belts. Someone at our club has been running since it came out (beginning of last week) and it is a very quick car. It has only been used in doors on carpet with rubbers so far but seems as though it might possibly be the way forward.

Liam

AdrianM 10-28-2007 02:15 PM

Rubber tires.

Drivers on Team Losi a lot higher up and faster than you have told me it sucks.