R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by olev
Jesus H. Christ, I hope you are not seriously thinking what you're writing? Don't you really have any idea about how the world goes round? It's showbusiness, they run whatever they are told by the sponsors. There's a fair share of top drivers in the world running Futaba and Sanwa/Airtronics as well, maybe a bit less for JR and Multiplex (owned by Hitec now), so radio brand is definitely not a cause for winning or loosing (or DNFing). Even Ko radios have problems, just like everything else
Actually there are a few drivers in the world who can run for whoever the hell they want to, and I've noticed that quite a few of them run for KO. Cyrul, Burch, Swauger, Doseck and Spashett can pick and choose who they want to run for, they choose KO. Good enough for me......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:44 PM   #32
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
JohnA: The MARS R will work with the Old receivers, but the new receiver will not work with the OLD KO transmitters. Several people I race with have Mars Rs and use them with the old receivers as well as the new 301 receivers. It's the new receiver that's not compatible, not the new Transmitter.
NOPE, its the other way around actually. The OLD Mars can use KR-297Z receiver and the new KR-301F receiver, and the NEW Mars R radio can only use the KR-301F receiver. That is what's on their official website. However, I see some Mars R owners can use XXL, KR-297Z and other aftermarket receiver...

So I guess try out the receiver first before you buy...
Old 06-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #33
Tech Addict

TFR

Thanks for clearing that up, I was pretty certain that was the case so I'm left with the 3PK, M8 or old Mars decision, the M8 looks likely at the moment mainly cause I like the look of it
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:07 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Default picking a radio

I would suggest holding the radios and playing around with each of them. I wanted the new m8 because everyone had an M8 and I liked the screen...held the radio for a while and it was no where near as comfortable as the 3pk. Ended up getting the 3pk and love it!!!
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:11 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Joneser

Thanks for the advice. That's the reason I was going for the mars, it felt right. I'll have a try of a few people's radios this weekend and make a choice.

Cheers
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Good old Blazer as served me well.
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:50 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by defMondo
Good old Blazer as served me well.
You can not hope to be competetive with a radio with so few buttons and lights
Old 06-12-2003, 07:04 AM   #38
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by TFR
NOPE, its the other way around actually. The OLD Mars can use KR-297Z receiver and the new KR-301F receiver, and the NEW Mars R radio can only use the KR-301F receiver. That is what's on their official website. However, I see some Mars R owners can use XXL, KR-297Z and other aftermarket receiver...

So I guess try out the receiver first before you buy...
The first batch of MarsR out of Japan could only use the 301F. The current batch can use the new and old recievers....this change occurred probably 6 months ago, so you should be buying new stock only from the shops.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:06 AM   #39
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm
Default Re: picking a radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Joneser
I would suggest holding the radios and playing around with each of them. I wanted the new m8 because everyone had an M8 and I liked the screen...held the radio for a while and it was no where near as comfortable as the 3pk. Ended up getting the 3pk and love it!!!
This is truely the "acid" test....I had the same problem with the JR R1....loved the design, but simply did not feel right in "my" hands.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:07 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

John A: The Website is INCORRECT. The MARS R works fine with the New 301 and the OLD 297 receivers. The Old Mars will not work with the new 301 receiver. I watched my best friend try to use a 301 with his MARS and it didn't work, Now that he has his MARS R he can use his old 297 receivers and his 301's. I"VE PERSONALLY WITNESSED IT. If you e-mail KO they'll tell you the SAME thing. I use a MARS, and I'll probably get an R soon, if I don't just wait for the HELIOS. I wanted to be certain that my current receivers would work.

Now I'll explain why: The MARS R's signal is FM, in order to take advantage of the 40% faster frame rate you have to use the 301 receiver, because that receiver is set up to process at the 40% faster level. (this consequently is also why you have to have a HRS receiver to exploit the faster frame rate of the FUTABA) Of course if you use a XXL or the KR-297 it's not set-up the utilize the 40% faster frame rate, so response is just like that of a Regular MARS.

If you read TFR's post, he contradicted himself with the last line.....

"However, I see some Mars R owners can use XXL, KR-297Z and other aftermarket receiver...

So I guess try out the receiver first before you buy..."
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:16 PM   #41
Tech Addict

CypressMidWest

I think you're right, the only way to know for sure is to give it a try. I have a friend with a Mars-R, I'll see if I can borrow it.

Thans for all the help everyone.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Also, there's so much crap on both Radios that you're never gonna use, I like the idea of being able to set the buttons on the KO to access the options I DO use, rather than scrolling through all sorts of stuff I don't. With the KO direct menu, you can assign different functions to the buttons on the radio. You wanna get to sub trim? Hit direct and sub trim, and bang you're there. Same thing for my steering expo, EPA etc. all the stuff I use is as accessible, if not more acessible than any other radio on the market.
The 3pk has the same thing you click the DIR (I think thats it) button and it takes you to a screen that shows a picture of the buttons and what option they take you to, you just click one of the buttons and it takes you directly to what you want to set. You set what all the buttons do on the DIR screen. The 3pk also allows you to set all the switches and dials so if you want to adjust subtrim you can just set it to a trim lever or dial and set it with no buttons at all, and it includes a trim lever thats not set for anything which is perfect for subtrim.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Futaba Attack II.....the greatest ever!!!
MauiBuilt Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Hands down I'M MEAN HANDS ON THE WHEEL! KO. See "Futaba throttle trigger scraping case thread."
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:36 PM   #45
Tech Addict

I seem to be the only one that has that problem and its very minor, I just care about these things more than other people. No one else that Ive asked said they have any scraping at all.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote