R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2003, 07:19 AM   #16
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Baluga: The 3PJ is by far the worst software ever, the 3PK while improved, is still too illogically laid out for me. Maybe it's because I've used KO equipment for so long, but each time I try a Futaba, I just can't seem to get comfortable with its' programming.
I beg to differ...having owned a 3PJ, 2000R and 3PK. I would say the Futaba software is 10x better. Things are grouped in a logical order....you want to change EXP you go to the EXP screen for throttle and steering...unlike the 2000R where EXP steering and EXP throttle are in seperate screens...arranged in no logic order. How can than be better!!

The only reason why I bought the 3PK was because I got fed up with the crappy KO software.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, there's so much crap on both Radios that you're never gonna use, I like the idea of being able to set the buttons on the KO to access the options I DO use, rather than scrolling through all sorts of stuff I don't. With the KO direct menu, you can assign different functions to the buttons on the radio. You wanna get to sub trim? Hit direct and sub trim, and bang you're there. Same thing for my steering expo, EPA etc. all the stuff I use is as accessible, if not more acessible than any other radio on the market.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:54 AM   #18
Tech Elite

And as far as pricing is concerned, A 3pk is 329.99, a Mars R is 229.99. So if you add a $60 dropped wheel (I personally hate dropped wheel radios), and a $50 battery/charger combo, now the KO costs $10 more, and I have the option of using dry cells. Plus the Futaba pack is 700 mah, the KO is 1100 mah. If you don't want the dropped wheel then the KO is $50 cheaper.

I've had Airtronics, Futaba, KO and (before I learned my lesson) Hitec, and I always go back to KO gear. IMHO, it's more comfortable, more user friendly, and less expensive.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 05-28-2003, 11:09 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Here in the philippines, price for Mars R 12,500 while Megatech 3PK runs for P 15,000... The difference is more or less around $ 47. Batteries not included for both package. The 3PK being more expensive than Mars R, no product warranty coverage for it either while KO has 6 months (only I was hoping for 1 yr.). I might wait for the Helios to arrive for some hands-on comparison.
Baluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:32 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Not that I've owned either Mars or 3PK, but I think 700 mAH cells is too little. Around here, AA-cells are available in 2100 mAH. The "dry cell option" open for use of these.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:48 AM   #21
Tech Adept

I use 1700 mAh AAs in 3PK and I've got over 7 hours out of them (they had some left after that, but I had to recharge for next days race). So, 700mAh would give at least 2 hours of running time, which is ~2 electric race days or one nitro race day with a long main.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Default Non digital servos

Can I use my non digital servos on the 3pk? I think that then you are not able to user the HRS,?

TNX
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Yes you can use regular analog servos with the 3pk, BUT YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE THE PCM VERSION. The transmitter itself does not change, it is in fact switchable among reg FM, acccelerated FM (HRS-uses only digital servos), and PCM. The model you buy only changes the receiver that is included.

I bought the PCM version, but I use the regular FM mode so I can use it with my Hitec spectra module and my Novak receivers.

BTW...I know a few people with KO radios who wish they had a 3pk. I have owned the following: Multiplex 707, Hitec Lynx 3d, and the 3pk. I like the 3pk and the Multiplex about equal, but I still slightly favor the 3pk.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Hi all!

I'm in the process of switching from a stick radio (I'm English ) to a wheel.

I tried a friends mars and it was really comfortable to hold, plus I'm used to KO stuff and like it. The problem is, as mentioned above, none of my receivers will work with the new mars and I really don't like the red look on the old one.

Did KO release any of the old mars radios with the black & gold finish?
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, maybe the special edition one they did in honor of Atsushi hara(when he won the TC Worlds a couple of years back), but you really don't need to worry about that. If you don't like the red(I prefer to think of them as orange) grips, then you can just buy some different colored ones(KO sells them in several colors, including black, blue & yellow) & decorate to your tastes....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:47 AM   #26
Tech Elite

JohnA: The MARS R will work with the Old receivers, but the new receiver will not work with the OLD KO transmitters. Several people I race with have Mars Rs and use them with the old receivers as well as the new 301 receivers. It's the new receiver that's not compatible, not the new Transmitter.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403

BTW...I know a few people with KO radios who wish they had a 3pk.
And I know some people who dumped their Futabas to get Mars Rs.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Just look at the result sheets of the big gas races and see what the guys are using.
Ko Propo is by far the leading manufacturer here and I don't think people like Salven, Cyrul, Burch etc. would trust anything but the best radio wiith their 70mph bullets for up to one hour mains....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 AM   #29
Tech Elite

AMEN stefan!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Just look at the result sheets of the big gas races and see what the guys are using.
Ko Propo is by far the leading manufacturer here and I don't think people like Salven, Cyrul, Burch etc. would trust anything but the best radio wiith their 70mph bullets for up to one hour mains....
Jesus H. Christ, I hope you are not seriously thinking what you're writing? Don't you really have any idea about how the world goes round? It's showbusiness, they run whatever they are told by the sponsors. There's a fair share of top drivers in the world running Futaba and Sanwa/Airtronics as well, maybe a bit less for JR and Multiplex (owned by Hitec now), so radio brand is definitely not a cause for winning or loosing (or DNFing). Even Ko radios have problems, just like everything else
olev is offline   Reply With Quote