R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default T1FK05 Set up help!?

Hi guys, my first post here at this nice forum!
During this weeks (and the hloe last season) races my car have been acting wierd. The problem is that i've got like zero grip in the back. I know that this is still a quite good car and that it's capable of running good. I've been on xray's site and searched their set up sheets, nothing helps. I'm runnig stock class motor (27t). So now i realy need your help with this major problem. i know that lots of you guys have been running this car so please give some set up tips.It's indoor and on capret i run my car, with rubber tires.

Thanks
//Philip from sweden
Onroad Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Tech Addict

what is your droop?
if that isnt messed up try leaning the rear arms up in the rear and the just put some softer springs on the rear. lemme know if that helps.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What chassis you running ?

What deck?

I believe Hudy himself had a pretty awesome set up for rubber on carpet but here is some basic things to get you started.

Shocks - 30w oil, 2 Hole open on both, possible 3 on front depending on condition.
Front Spring = Light Blue
Rear Spring = Yellow
Rear shock tower = 4th hole (from the bottom)
Front Shock tower = 3rd hole
Rear Toe in = 3 deg
Front Toe = .5 out
Camber = Rear 2 front 1.5
I had the 2mm deck and asphalt top deck. The best tire at my track was the Sorex 24. We had a low to medium grip carpet. When the grip came up I put back the stands (the aluminum posts between the bottom and top deck) to make the car a little stiffer.
Could be your body. Try a Mazda 6. There is a lot of downforce on the Mazda 6 compared to say a Parma Alfa.

The xray site has a bunch of rubber carpet set ups...I couldnt get it to link up here for some reason.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Team Kwik Send a message via MSN to Team Kwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onroad Freak View Post
Hi guys, my first post here at this nice forum!
During this weeks (and the hloe last season) races my car have been acting wierd. The problem is that i've got like zero grip in the back. I know that this is still a quite good car and that it's capable of running good. I've been on xray's site and searched their set up sheets, nothing helps. I'm runnig stock class motor (27t). So now i realy need your help with this major problem. i know that lots of you guys have been running this car so please give some set up tips.It's indoor and on capret i run my car, with rubber tires.

Thanks
//Philip from sweden
Hi Philip,

I would try to get a hold of Dave Bowser, he's an Xray guy who runs a bunch of rubber tire and I am sure he could help you get things in the ballpark. His profile can be found here, I am sure he wouldn't mind you sending over a PM.

http://rctech.net/forum/member.php?u=4014

Hope you get it sorted out!
Nick
Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Ohh thanks for geat awnsers!
Tyler: i think my droop is somewhere aruond 3 at the back and 1 in the front.
ahh so the arms shuold maybe up:P, i began to drive with'em in the middle position but then moved htem down. And yes i bgan to drive with teh yellow (softest) springs, i tried also to put on the silver springs from ae it was a liiiitle bit harder but not mutch, and it did'nt do much so i think i'm putting back the yellow ones.

wcalaker: Yes i ran my mazda body. i don't jnow right nkow witch thickness i have on my chassi/top deck, i will meassure it and come back. i think the first owner of this car have done som misstakes, casue it don't feels like my damper holes are adjustable... so i think i gota disassamble them. and yes i did run 30w oil in them, new for the race. and it seems also like my top deck is a bit modiefid i think. and really thanks for the set up

Team Kwik: Ok thanks i will send him a PM later, just don't have the time rigth know, got a major big task to do, school you know.

So i will bee back and send pics of teh top deck and car and send mr dave a pm.

//Philip
Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

http://rapidshare.com/files/65087491/IMG_1136.jpg.html

Here comes 3 pics of my top deck and car.
And where i live i dont got acces to a track more than once a week so i haven't tried your tips yet but i will bring e'm to the track and test
http://rapidshare.com/files/65087966/IMG_1137.jpg.html
if you look at the pic below you'll see that i dont have any "wings" on my top deck, it's modefied aight?
http://rapidshare.com/files/65090825/IMG_1138.jpg.html
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I did'nt look at your pics because I don't like to clutter up my computer with download stuff. But I would bet that your running the 2.5 mm chassis; that is the chasis used for carpet BUT with foams not rubber tire. When you run rubber tire on carpet the setup is very close to an asphalt setup. You need to have the 2mm chassis and topdeck, my guess is that with the correct chassis your problem will vanish. If you don't have a way to measure the thickness see if someone at you local hobby store or track does. This is still a very capable car, I have both the 05 and a 007; the difference in lap times is really unoticiable for the average club racing.

Chris
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

ok thanks i have stiff to measure it, soo i think i will, soo i've been maesuring it now and my top deck and chassi is 2.5 mm thick.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

i do also have onther top deck. it's a more adjustable with metal braces in it, that can be screwed of and on. dont find teh part number for it but it may help you
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Your top deck should not be the problem if the car is loose in the back. When I had my fk05 on med-low grip carpet I used the following

white springs up front
yellow springs in rear.

40 WT HUDY IN FRONT- 2 HOLES
30 WT HUDY IN REAR - 4 HOLES

Front anti squat and 6 or 4.5 deg blocks. Rear had high diff. location. Look at the inner rear camber link and make sure it is in the lower position.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onroad Freak View Post
i do also have onther top deck. it's a more adjustable with metal braces in it, that can be screwed of and on. dont find teh part number for it but it may help you
The top deck is not as important as the chassis itself for this problem. Changing the main chassis to the 2mm will cure your problem. The issue here is chassie flex, you need the same amount of flex to run rubber on carpet as you do to run rubber on asphalt. I have had the same problem, I bought the car to run carpet and it would swap ends just as yours. I knew the guy had been running carpet with the car so I was stumped as to why it worked for him but I was haveing tons of issues. Changed the chassis and presto all better, found out later that he had been running foams.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys!
My hometrack is open tomorrow so i'll test my new set up htere sitting here by my cp and fixing teh car
just realised that you're saying stuff taht i did'nt thaught matterd.:P
I've bought my car "secondhand" or what to say and it seems like i did'nt get the middle diff cups with. so i can only choose between low or high diff, what do you think i should run? and i did'nt have med rear camberlinks in the lower position. and i just saw that i alredy got an awnser about my diff question. so this is my planned set up.
Please post your comment about what you think about it:
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

So, this is the reslut of my new setup...
It's a total sucess A reaally big thanks to you, i stood on the driversmount(dont know what to call it) and just smiled, it was just soooo fun to drive a good handling car and much of that i have to thank you for
after some radio and ecs adjustments the car was awsome thanks to this i as quite a good driver today ( if i can say it by my self ) so i was quite close to my 19t friend, hes driving style is veeery agresive so when we managed to pump away from my i took my lead back by the misstakes he did. i did also raise my dampers even more than the set up seet abouve says. every thing worked fine so i got time to assemble my new cells. And it was just my day today The motor was like on steroids .
Edit:i was suposed to film my driving but the battery's ran out of power in my camera:/:P

Over and out
// A happy Philip from sweden
Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
Tech Master

Default any interest in parts

Howdy FK05 folks,

I have just stepped up to a 007 and I have a ton of new and slightly used parts for my old FK05.

Quick list

Multi diff
axels, dogbones
2mm chassis
Alum rear hubs
turnbuckles
arms
blocks
etc

and lots more. PM me if you're looking for some parts.
Sterling Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Hi a new question aout the gearing on the car. Aruond how much shuold the roll out be on?
mine is right now on: 32.63
As said i dirve an 27T motor witch's got an rpm of 21,248 on 5V. i'm driving on 6V. the internal drive ratio is 1.70:1
and my very used tires has a diameter of aruond 64 mm. My pinion size is 24 and the spur size is 87
if that info would help.
So how much should the roll out be on?