R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Massive power requirements for Hudy Tire Truer

I just picked up a Hudy Excellent Tire Truer.

At first I thought it was a dud because the main motor wouldn't "turn over". It would just "click click click click". Then I realized what massive power requirements this thing needs. (Well... at least to start it up anyway.)
I have an Alinco330MV power supply.

In the Ham radio community, the Alinco is known as one of the better power supplies. It even has adjustable voltage. It's rated for 30 amps continuous (32amps peak).

As a backup, I have a Pyramid PSV200 that is rated at 20amps continous.

Neither of these power supplies are strong enough by themselves.

It took a car battery or hooking both my power supplies up in parallel to get the Hudy to start spinning! Actually, once it's spinning, either power supply was sufficient. So this tells me there is a big power draw to turn over the main motor initially.

So, I'm wondering... is there a big 12V capacitor that can store up some energy, enough to get this motor rolling? Or am I just going to have to get a bigger power supply? Seems like such a waste to need a huge power supply for only a half a second. I wish the Hudy was designed with a "soft start". Roll that motor up to speed. Some of today's good power tools are utilizing "soft start" features.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Default Truer

You shouldn't be having this problem. I have the same truer and have no problem using my 23amp Competion Electronics power supply.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Pilot is correct, something else is going on. I have this truer as well and a 30 bulldog power supply and there is tons of power. In fact we (Lhs) have used (1) 30Amp PS to power 2 tire truers at the same time.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 10-18-2007 at 11:01 PM.
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Tech Regular

dumb question?

you don't have the tire touching the grinding bit when you turn it on to true tires do you?

otherwise yes you have a dud..something is causing the motor to draw alot of amperage to fire it up. bad bearing or something is binding the motor shaft.
MOTHER FOCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To answer you capacitor question, you could use an AC/heater motor run capacitor, it's rated for 110v but you can charge it with only a few volts. But I'm with everyone else you shouldn't need it.
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR View Post
dumb question?
you don't have the tire touching the grinding bit when you turn it on to true tires do you?

otherwise yes you have a dud..something is causing the motor to draw alot of amperage to fire it up. bad bearing or something is binding the motor shaft.
No tire touching, I did most testing with no arbor on at all.

I bought this used off of Crazy Carl from his sale here. I took the risk because the price was so good: $225 with 5 arbors and a case. He said it was used only a few times. I think that could be true because it appears to be in excellent shape. Once I get this puppy rolling, it does a good job. I trued 2 tires with it already. It spins at a much higher RPM than my Eagle Racing truer (Integy Truecut).
Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

There must be some other problem. Local guys run their truers with Much More's PS rated 24A

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I have had mine for about 5 years of so. Spent a zillion dollars for it. Works great but makes a louder noise than anyone else's that I've heard.

I would consider carefully opening it up. Or call RC America. It definately is not your power supply though.

Steve
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Well, I took off the cover and sprayed both motor bearings and oiled them. It helped a little bit. It clicks for about 1 second then starts. Clicking is coming from the circuit board somewhere. Strangely, my 20 amp power supply is the one that can start it by itself. The clicks are faster with the 20 amp power supply than my 30 amp. I adjusted the voltage on my 30 amp, higher and lower than 13.8V but it does not matter.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yeah I've ran mine off a 15amp Rivergate at the lowest and a 24amp Much More. Something is wrong with your truer.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

James35,

You'll never get that tire truer to work with Alinco PS. Call it case of PS being too smart. I had exact same problem with same truer and power supply. It just kept on clicking, and wouldn't turn over. Worked fine with my cheap Eagle 18amp PS. Here's the problem with Alinco PS with that truer, truer, at spin up, actually sucks more than 30amps. If you have something like Astroflight watt meter, you can see what truer is actually using for amps. The Alinco PS, if something is pulling over 32amps, stops providing power. Goes to XX.Xv for voltage output, but 0 amp output. If you try that with any other power supply, it won't go to 0. There was no way I was going to dump my Alinco PS, so switched to AC powered Hudy lathe. Had someone else try it with their Alinco PS, same problem. Alinco PS though, had no problems with DC OFNA, Integy, Cobra truers. It's not the truer, it's the PS.

Only thing I can think of, to get around the problem is to put some sort of cap/resistor something inbetween PS and truer, so truer won't suck more than 30amps at start up.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Razzo,

That's interesting but If I read him correctly the other 20 amp PS didn'i work either, and others are saying that theirs work with PS as low as 14amps.

James,

Do you know anyone with a Rivergate Bulldog 30. My truer works great with mine.

Steve
Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

At first, neither power supply would work. After spraying/oiling the bearings, the Pyramid 20 amp started to work (kind of). It still clicks about 10 times (1-2 seconds) before the motor gets up to speed. Sounds like an air impact wrench (not that loud, but you get the idea).
Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

corallyman, I only commented on what I saw with my Alinco, since I have no idea what that Pyramid PS uses for voltage/amp protection. Far as I can tell, most have voltage protection but not amp protection? My 18amp had no problem powering that Hudy lathe either. However, according to my watt meter, when tire truer wanted more then 30amps, my 18amp PS didn't stop pushing power out like Alinco PS did. At 1st I thought I had a broken tire truer, hooked it up to Rivergate 30, worked fine, so I knew it was my PS, not the truer. Once I got home from the track, tried it with my old 18amp PS, and it worked, so something about Alinco and Hudy DC Auto truer, it didn't like. By the way, Hudy non auto truer works fine with Alinco PS... go figure.

oops, forgot to add, Alinco PS does have 32amp current limiter, think that's what's causing the problem. Not sure if other PS' have current limiters.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not like this is really a solution, but I have one of the manual 12v Hudy truers that was kind of doing the same thing. I just started to spin the tire by hand right before I turned on the switch. Spinning the tire first seemed to really help reduce the surge.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote