R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This sounds like a problem with the motor, maybe a stuck brush? I know back when my truck had the same problem it was a stuck brush.
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

Even though the Alinco PS *as a whole* is rated at 32A Max, according to the Alinco site, the 330 PS has:

"Vast output terminal convenience is just one more benefit of the DM-330MV ! A cigar-plug socket (Max 10A), a set of Max current terminals, and 2 sets of snap-in terminals (Max 5A) are conveniently laid-out and offer numerous variations for its operation."

http://www.alinco.com/Products/DM330MVE/

Depending on how you wired it up, it appears that the max output power for any 1 output is only 10A (cigar-plug socket).
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Like Parnelli said, this sounds a lot like a motor issue.

When we trued tires at Horsham, we had as many as 3 Hudy Truers hooked up to 1 45amp power supply. I have no idea what make the power supply was, but the "track" truer did click on start up. The other 2 Hudy truers had no issues. The track truer was a Hudy as well.

A couple weeks of use with it "clicking" and it finally failed. It wouldn't spin anymore. We opened it up, then opened the motor up, and the brushes were GONE. There was nothing left to them. I don't think it ever got fixed since the track closed.

On a side note, my Hudy works like a champ with a CE 23 amp power supply or a MuchMore 24 amp power supply.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What you need is a brushless truer AM I RIGHT! :-) I bet you'll have to race in a different class if you use it, though.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Depending on how you wired it up, it appears that the max output power for any 1 output is only 10A (cigar-plug socket).
Yes, I am aware of the front lower amp connectors, but I am not using those.

I'm kind of thinking the next step is to open up the motor and see if I can find any problems. Thanks for all the input fellas! I love a good forum community.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

both of those powersupplies are pretty weak, even though they are 20 amp and higher, they still don't have the ball$ to spin it. What you can do is buy a 1/2 farad or bigger car audio capacitor off of ebay and put it inline, or buy a higher quality 20-30 amp supply. or spin the tire yourself at startup. The problem is that the PSU's you have won't allow the high amperage spinups that you need to get that motor spinnig. The river gate and bull dog supplies have been known to work well, if you get a chance hook it up to someone else's powersupply and see if it works.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
Tech Master

it's the PS. I have a rivergate 30, novak 14 amp, and a radioshack 20amp. the rivergate and the novak will run the truer but the radio shack 20 amp will not. The radio shack also will not run my MaxMod 12v truer.

I think it has something to to with the internal surge/ fail safe of the ps.
E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What you need is a brushless truer AM I RIGHT! :-) I bet you'll have to race in a different class if you use it, though.
Oh no, someone had to steer this thread in to the brushless tree too......
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to |<R1Z |>
Thumbs up

15 farad 12V- 24V capacitor. This should help start the motor.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

15 farads? Do I really need that much?

Well, the motor looks to be in good shape. There are no bearings in it. Just bushings I really would have preferred to see bearings here.
This motor doesn't play around! It's beefy.

Last edited by James35; 10-19-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
Tech Adept

No you don't need 15 Farads Thats major overkill. I'm telling you if you want a cap, go get one for your home AC unit. Call around I've seen them at ACE hardware. You don't need a cap that will run the truer for 5 minutes you just need a small boost to get it spinning. They are somewhere in the range of 100 uF. If you want major hardware you can go to the flea market and pick up a cheap 1 F 12v capacitor. Look for the guys selling cheap car audio equipment. Just watch your meter on your power supply and turn your truer on after the cap is charged, that should give you plenty of umph to spin it up. The only thing is make sure the cap is discharged before you start truing because once it's empty your speed will drop. The power supply won't be able to match the amount of power the cap can discharge so it'll run a lot faster for a few seconds.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Why would the speed change? Isn't the voltage output going to be the same at all times?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Amperage will vary. The cap will unload as fast as it possibly can, and dump as many amps as the motor will accept. The PSU will only put out however many amps you program it to. It probably won't be very noticeable if at all, but just keep an eye on it, it would suck to have the speed change and have to re-cut a portion of the tire. And there is a little loss depending on the cap, I have one thats 25v and on my meter my PSU puts out exactly 25.0v but the cap after being charged only has 23.5v So it all depends on the cap.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I had a Hudy that had internal problems ( no motor power) at one point. Luckily, it was able to be fixed by an engineer friend, but he said the relay, or what ever the part was, was not of the best quality. It makes me wonder if this is a common problem.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35 View Post
It spins at a much higher RPM than my Eagle Racing truer (Integy Truecut).
Truers in general used to spin at much higher RPMs then they do now. I actually went with the 3Racing/Eagle truer because of the lower RPMs. Softer foams can grow at high RPMs causing an incorrect cut depth. Lower RPM with higher torque reduces this issue. This won't be an issue with your Hudy though, even though it is higher RPM it still isn't like the early days of tire truers.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote