Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

they need to make 360 or PS3 version, that would be off the hook
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
I'm skeptical of 10.5 right now, because of the things I have read about recently. I will probably wait on it, but a Boot Camp solution to VRC is appealing. I had heard a Mac version was in the works, but I can't find any verification on that anywhere.

<cough>bashers.</cough> It's kind of too far into the city for my tastes. I'd rather drive to Trackside in Wisconsin.
I'm definitely happy with 10.5, it fixed a lot of things that were bugging me. There's some annoyances, though. And I gotcha on the other part. :-D

I can't imagine these guys making a Mac version, it's already an extremely niche game, and development is already painfully slow. It's fun, though, I feel like it helped me a lot. I just got frustrated with the style of driving after a while.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
I'm skeptical of 10.5 right now, because of the things I have read about recently. I will probably wait on it, but a Boot Camp solution to VRC is appealing. I had heard a Mac version was in the works, but I can't find any verification on that anywhere.

<cough>bashers.</cough> It's kind of too far into the city for my tastes. I'd rather drive to Trackside in Wisconsin.
Where do you live? Have you gone to Harbor hobbies in Winthrop Harbor?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Where do you live? Have you gone to Harbor hobbies in Winthrop Harbor?
Just left St. Charles and moved to North Aurora. I have been there once and it took me almost 2 hours to get there (same as it took to get to Trackside). I heard they were closing, too, so I'm not about to gear up for a track that's not going to be around much longer.

Plus, my winter plans include getting an 1/8th scale on road car ready for LH next summer.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Ya, no problems with Winblows on the new BootCamp 2.0 that shipped with Leopard. Just dont use Windows to access the 'net First time I did was to get Adaware SE and check out the VRC updates and I got some darned spyware and tracking cookies. Ugh. As far as 10.5 goes, Im not so sure. Its definitely faster, but my issues with it are for another forum. Also check out www.macosxhints.com

I really enjoy VRC, but it has many issues with pitting, but the extra stick time I am getting from the game when I need a break from life is very nice. To make it a little more lifelike I hooked my laptop to my 56" HDTV and stand about 10' back playing the game I just can't drive sitting down.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
they need to make 360 or PS3 version, that would be off the hook
Actually it would quite suck because the console controllers have too much stiction and are not precise enough. There's a reason you pay $100+ for a good RC controller, its the ball bearings and resolution.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Skills drop when I can't race every week, I've thought maybe this game could help. Been looking at driving on a big screen.

I've ordered 10.5 and plan on running bootcamp (wow, I'm amazed at how many on this thread are running Macs). What did everyone do for a copy of Windows? Did you buy a copy? Will the XP Upgrade work or do you need a full package?

I have USB thing to use my own transmitter; does this thing really help?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like the VRC and have tried it out a few time at hobby shows, It seems pretty real to me and i crash at the same spots on VRC as i do at the real circut so that has to say something.
My coumputer is out dated so i cant run it.but it would be fun to give it a shot when im bored.
I wish it had some different cars though,but Kyosho dosent have a M chassis car so thats never going to happen.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:43 AM   #39
Tech Adept

I havent tried this game yet, but have to say years back when I flew gas planes a sim really helped with my understanding of the controls and how they affected the plane itself. Wasn't at all like the real flying in some ways but gave me enough to bring my ability forward quickly.

I think you need to look at this as a sim for those beginning, they need to learn good car control and what better (and fairly) cheaper way. Also your seasoned pro can just get on and have a blast keeping their thumbs in tip top condition.

I'll be looking into getting this once the elec 1/1oth version comes out

S400 / MTroniks IP6 / Team Brood / KO Propo = Loads of fun
jo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan

I think VRC is a great tool for keeping your skills up when you can't actually race. The program does have its limitations, but for the most part, it's really good. It has helped me learn to find smooth lines, and also realize the the better line gets you better lap times, not having a faster car.

I am also looking forward to getting the electric version whenever it gets released, but I kind of think we will see the off road version first, which from the sneak previews, looks awesome!
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Just left St. Charles and moved to North Aurora. I have been there once and it took me almost 2 hours to get there (same as it took to get to Trackside). I heard they were closing, too, so I'm not about to gear up for a track that's not going to be around much longer.

Plus, my winter plans include getting an 1/8th scale on road car ready for LH next summer.

Winthrop harbor did not close.... they sold to a guy and now have a new owner...
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Ok, so let me get this straight. This works on Mac, but will it work on the 10.4 OSX?

Thanks, I'm kinda computer illiterate

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've got my VRC hooked to a projector mounted on the roof of my house, it displays on my side lawn (only at night), and I stand on the deck about 10 feet away from the action. The view is slightly distorted from the angle of the roof, and the lawn needs to be freshly cut, but it works.

Just kidding! But now that I say it out loud ......
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #44
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $rusty$ View Post
Ok, so let me get this straight. This works on Mac, but will it work on the 10.4 OSX?

Thanks, I'm kinda computer illiterate
Na, we're talking about "boot camp." Now that Macs run on Intel processors, the hardware is able to run either Mac OS X or Windows. Apple included "boot camp" which allows you to setup your system so you can easily reboot and pick either Windows or OS X as your operating system, depending on your needs. It also provides all the windows drivers for the Apple hardware, so everything works right when you're booted into windows. Since VRC only runs in Windows, Mac users who want to play it just have to have their system setup so they can boot into windows.

Leopard (OS X 10.5) was recently released, and comes with an updated version of boot camp with new windows drivers. Since the old version worked, the new one should, too. But, video drivers under windows are often an adventure, so who knows what the new version brings. I expect it'll work great, since most Mac users rely on it so they're not left out on PC gaming.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Ok, sweet. I have a Leopard disk waiting upstairs. I'll try and do that...One more little question. When I upgrade to 10.5, all my previous stuff like iTunes songs, and snowboarding, and skating moveis are gonna get deleted to, correct?

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote