R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH
Default Batteries & Chargers?????????????

OK as stated in my posts name I am wondering what to do here? I have just gottin back into the hobby after a long break, I started racing 1/12th last winter and have moved back to sedan this winter with the T2-007.

I am presently using an LRP Pulsar sport to charge my old 3800 packs(3) and will be using the same to charge my new IB4200WC packs which I also have 3. I have been charging all my packs at 6amps then running them on the car till they loss there umph( about 8 mins) I then place them on my Trinity Real Time 2 conditioner & Discharger until the lights go out. Then I will place them back on charge again after about 30 mins for another run.

I did this all last winter with my 3800 cells with no issues that I can think of, please keep in mind I am by far not a top driver but would say I am competitive at my local track.

I am presently looking to add another charger to my gear as I know I have a basic charger at this time but it has done me well and would still be using it in conjunction with the second charger when I get it. I am hoping that you (the people of RCTech) can help me to correct any errors I am doing now to my batteries and help me to choose the next and fitting charger to my needs, please keep in mind I am by no means a top racer and am not looking to be. I am having fun with this hobby as I feel it is ment to be. That in mind I do want to do things properly and with the proper tools.

Thanks for the help as I trust with all the posts I have been reading I have come to the right place for the help I am looking for.

Sean
BLKNOTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK and does lipos too: DURATRAX ICE
SAME AS ICE plus add backlite screen as well as 30amp discharge the TEAM CHECK POINT TC1030
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Tech Master

Thanks Joel, I was looking at the Check Point as I was thinking this was a great charger for what I am looking for and I am glad to see a seasoned vet like yourself is stating what I was thinking.

Now as for my battery care habbits? thats another storey.

Sean
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Sean,

Charger:
I would also agree with the charger recommendation. If I had the choice between the DuraTrax ICE and the Check point when I bought my ICE, I would have got the Check point. I've used the Check point and I own a ICE. I think the Check point would be the charger to have.

Batteries:
Whats your setting for Delta-Peak voltage? 3mv per cell?

When you store your packs don't forget to put a 450ma charge or so. Prevents them from the lost of run-time.
Sgrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Tech Master

Yes I set the delta peak to 5 per cell and I always have them charged after a day of rest then repeak them when I go for practice. I get consistant numbers when I charge them so I am thinking I am doing ok. I will now be saving to pick myself up the Check Point charger as now with the 2 of you stating the same and with all the other posts I have read I am thinking by far this is the best bang for the buck without going overboard.

Thanks again.
Sean

Oh and did you try those adjustments we were chatting about the other night? I will be putting mine to test tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Setup:
I've changed the bump stops around a bit. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow. AMB transponder came today, so I'll be off to test that tomorrow. I may also try apply some more traction compound to the front tires. Maybe half the tire instead of a quarter. I'll try those tweaks separately tomorrow and let you know how it goes for sure.
Sgrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrios View Post
Setup:
I've changed the bump stops around a bit. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow. AMB transponder came today, so I'll be off to test that tomorrow. I may also try apply some more traction compound to the front tires. Maybe half the tire instead of a quarter. I'll try those tweaks separately tomorrow and let you know how it goes for sure.
I use 3/4 on the front, but another great trick I have found is to wash the tires in hot water with degreaser. Then roll them on a paper towel to dry and run them as is with no traction added. I did this and they were better then they were when they were new. Awsome traction.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Default Charging / Discharging parameters

I figured I'd ask you guys..... I run nitro but still need to charge my reciever battery ( 5 cell AAA 1100 mah ) and controller battery ( 8 cell AA 700 mah ). I was given a checkpoint charger but don't know what parameters are the used to get the most charge / discharge / cycle etc. for the batteries.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Garaski is offline   Reply With Quote