R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH
Default AMB and Personal Lap Counting

I am just wondering if any of you may have some answers. My local track uses an AMB system for race nights but during practice there is nothing for the members to use for monitoring lap times.

What my question is, is there a way that the already installed AMB system can be used by members will that doesnt interfear with the shops system? meaning if I bring a laptop is there a way that the system can be set up for connection to the laptop? or even an online connection? or am I stuck with nothing because my local track is not willing to open the syatem to the members for practice. If this is the case are there other options that I should look into? I am just wanting to be able to monitor the progress as I change settings on my car.

Thanks for the info everyone.
BLKNOTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default lap counter

Team orinon makes a lap counter that works for one car. It works on infrared lights and they work very well

The Judge

JUST SHUT UP AND RACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEED COST MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!!!
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Why won't they open the system for practice? We use AMB at my local track and ours is always open. For us it is a simple matter of turning on the computer.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run a travelling series, and use a laptop for my races...

When I travel to some of the other tracks for their local races, I bring my own LOOP wire connection my AMBrc decoder box and my laptop, and hook into the tracks Scoring Loop so I can get my practice laps.

You would need this equipment in order to do what you asked...(If I read correctly)

Most people won't buy their own decoder, scoring program and loop wire..just so they can get their own times. (But if you ever find a AMBrc decoder cheap...I reccomend it...

The much cheaper alternative is one of the ORION LCS (Personal Lap Counting systems)

They use an infared type transponder in the car, and you use a small personal box that picks up the signal, that you can set trackside...

I think they run a couple hundred bucks new these days, and usually around a hundred bucks used...

click the picture to go to the TOWER HOBBIES site where this can be purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads
Why won't they open the system for practice? We use AMB at my local track and ours is always open. For us it is a simple matter of turning on the computer.
It's not quite THAT simple, but depending on what scoring program is being used...it's not hard.

The problem I have with mine (I use the AUTOSCORE for WINDOWS program) - I usually close it when I'm taking signups, and or doing other tasks...so guys may not get all their runs counted...

I get most of them for them though - and the program saves them to file, and I can print them for the racers if wanted or needed.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try this site

www.lapwatcher.com

It cost the host track 75.00 to join but it works good
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Tech Master

Thank you for the fast replies guys, I will say that the reason the track no longer leaves the system on for the members is that in the past the computer was stolen. Messed up eh....but this is the problem, because of some losers in the past they are not willing to take another lose. Just to give you all an idea, the track I am at is a 2 floor set up where the shop is located on the second floor as are the tech tables. The room with the computer for the AMB system is on the first floor beside the entrance door and the track.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpczx6 View Post
Try this site

www.lapwatcher.com

It cost the host track 75.00 to join but it works good

Thank you for this info, I will be making the suggestion the next time I am at the track. I am printing there info as I type LOL.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If I'm reading you right,....your track will allow you access to the AMB for practice? But not the computer, right? Depending on the type of AMB they have, yes you can do what you ask. If its an AMB 20 (not an older 8800 with a conversion) or newer ("rc" or rc3), all you'll need is software (assuming you already have the laptop).
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Anderson View Post
If I'm reading you right,....your track will allow you access to the AMB for practice? But not the computer, right? Depending on the type of AMB they have, yes you can do what you ask. If its an AMB 20 (not an older 8800 with a conversion) or newer ("rc" or rc3), all you'll need is software (assuming you already have the laptop).

Oh I will need to look into that, yes they will let us as the problem is the computer. It really is to bad as this is a problem of some people making it worse for others. I will find out what type they are using, now will this mean they can have a port set up for my laptop to connect to? or is it that they can connect there system to the AMB server where I will just log onto AMB's site and take it from there?

Thanks for your input.

Sean
Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i use my futaba 3pkS.

it has lap time function thats awesome.

e.g

if my average laps are 15seconds.

i can set the controller to vibrate every 15 seconds. then i know if i am above or below that 15 second marker.

then you can tell lap by lap whilst driving if you are going faster/slower than the 15second lap time. you can try different lines and see if it improves or not.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Some of the AMB systems can use an ethernet connection so maybe they can leave the decoder downstairs, hook it up to a wireless network card or router, and keep the laptop upstairs connected to the decoder wirelessly. Then all they would need is a connection from the computer down to the PA system and they could run the whole thing from upstairs.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

my Helios has a button, just above where your thumb on your left hand is.

I have set it up so that it records a "lap" time every time you bump the button.

so you just bump the button with your thumb everytime you cross the line.

found it to be pretty accurate and effective.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Some of the AMB systems can use an ethernet connection so maybe they can leave the decoder downstairs, hook it up to a wireless network card or router, and keep the laptop upstairs connected to the decoder wirelessly. Then all they would need is a connection from the computer down to the PA system and they could run the whole thing from upstairs.
Thats an awesome idea!

I think the system at our track uses an older coax cable, is this the ethernet cable you're talking about?

when I think ethernet I'm thinking of the cat5 cables with the phone cable style plug.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Coax connects the loop to the decoder. The decoder can connect to the computer via Ethernet aka Cat5. So the decoder would have to stay down stairs for it to work but that is quite small and should be much easier to secure then a computer.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Fastcats up here uses FastLaps for that exact purpose.. they have a dedicated enclosed booth (thus eliminating theft) for a computer, monitor, barcode scanner and tape printer.. they print out a barcode sticker for every racer (best stuck under their controller), and it lets you see your laps for each race, get average/top lap stats, even print them out.. works awesome!

They've posted pics.. check out the last 4 on this page.. http://www.fastcats.ca/sneak_pics.htm
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote