Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya F1????

Thinking about picking up a Tamiya F1 and have a question. Is this car durable enough to run indoors on carpet. We want to race them next season but I have not seen one in person....looks like the front wing is one bump from being road kill? Thanks for the help

Last edited by Joneser; 05-18-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Tamiya F1????

Originally posted by Joneser
Thinking about picking up a Tamiya F1 and have a question. Is this car durable enough to run indoors on carpet. We want to race them next season but I have not seen one in person....looks like the front wing is one bump from being road kill? Thanks for the help

It is surprisingly durable. I have seen many of them hold up to a lot of punishment including my own.

The only problem is the open wheels can snag boards. If you run foams usually the steering blocks break. If you run rubber usually the front rims that hold the bearings break.

I ran F1 and Lemans with the same car. I would rather run Lemans because it would save the wheels and steering blocks. I also made a bumper for the Lemans body for more protection.

It is one of my favorite cars that I have ran and miss running it. I would make sure you can get parts support on it before starting a class with it. If you do start a class keep it simple and run either the mabuchi silver canned motors or the black motor. They may be wimpy but with the direct drive setup you can make the cars go as fast or faster as many of the stock sedans.

Coop
Old 05-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default thanks

Thanks for the reply. The car looks like fun. We ran minicoopers on carpet and that was fun. We did tinker with them and ran 27 turn motors. My best lap count with my touring car was 34 laps. I ran 29 5:01 with the mini....time to go to f1.....it just looks like the wing will break with the first hit.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: thanks

Originally posted by Joneser
Thanks for the reply. The car looks like fun. We ran minicoopers on carpet and that was fun. We did tinker with them and ran 27 turn motors. My best lap count with my touring car was 34 laps. I ran 29 5:01 with the mini....time to go to f1.....it just looks like the wing will break with the first hit.
Usually the wing is the last thing that will break in a F1. Well my Sauber wing never broke, it just bent a little never hurting performance. I have seen these cars run fast carpet oval drilling the walls and never really breaking.

Coop