Search

Li-Po storage, what is the best way??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Dude...LOL...no kidding.

I usually have the bomb squad meet me at the track. I charge them and then they keep them in the mobile blast chamber for the week, then deliver them to me at the track the following week. It's not cheap, but you just can't take any chances.

If you guys didn't cheap out, you wouldn't have to worry about it.
It is a safety issue dude. Let me guess, you don't wear a seat belt.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i just put mine in the orion box they came with and put them on the shelf
what do ppl do with there cell phones when they are asleep.
i put mine on the night table beside my head hmmmmmmmmmm mybe one night it will take my head off

Exactly how I think.... If there treated correct, there not much to worry about...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So while we are at it. Lets store are Sub-c's in bullet case's.
For years they have been blowing them up.
Lipo comes along and Bam.! Its an issue.

You can never be to safe with either. Put your lipos in a bomb proof case and wrap your sub-c's in a rag.
I never stored mine any where but in a plastic case. Same exact one as my Sub-c's.
When the manufacturers make a steel one I would guess every one will have one.
I gotta admit a green ammo box with a cool lipo sticker would be cool. It could say open with caution contents may be under pressure.

I wont argue the safty either way till the sub-cs are in bomb proof case. I would hate to get shot by one.

I would recommend a vent hole in those ammo boxes.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i just put mine in the orion box they came with and put them on the shelf
what do ppl do with there cell phones when they are asleep.
i put mine on the night table beside my head hmmmmmmmmmm mybe one night it will take my head off
you might as well put them under your pillow, or in your underwear!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
So while we are at it. Lets store are Sub-c's in bullet case's.
For years they have been blowing them up.
Lipo comes along and Bam.! Its an issue.

You can never be to safe with either. Put your lipos in a bomb proof case and wrap your sub-c's in a rag.
I never stored mine any where but in a plastic case. Same exact one as my Sub-c's.
When the manufacturers make a steel one I would guess every one will have one.
I gotta admit a green ammo box with a cool lipo sticker would be cool. It could say open with caution contents may be under pressure.

I wont argue the safty either way till the sub-cs are in bomb proof case. I would hate to get shot by one.

I would recommend a vent hole in those ammo boxes.

I know!!! Everyones scared of lipo fires, but theres no vids of lipo fires where it just cought on fire after you get home from racing, if the pack is going to blow, it will at the track, not when it decides its in a good place to burn.... No one sees they all show you what can happen, and the settings on the charge is crazy high, or connected right to the power supply or something....All the vids you see are set up for some blow up action

Charging them in my room doesnt happen, that happens outside, but leaving them to rest for the night doesnt bother me, because I check my charging settings before every charge, and have yet to have one blow up during charging or anything
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...

Just keep in mind that we're abusing these cells in ways most other applications do not. They're banged around, discharged at a high rate, sometimes charged at a high rate, etc.

You know those signs at the gas pump that tell you not to reenter your car after you start refueling? It's the same sort of the thing. Chances are slim that you'll create a static discharge as your pants rub against the seat large enough to ignite the gas fumes, but it's easy enough to just wait and not take the chance, and avoid a possible violent death by immolation.

There are a lot of people in R/C that act like just because something hasn't happened to them means it won't happen. Martin Crisp's thread on the hazards of traction compounds is a shining example. It's ultimately up to you guys to decide what's safe enough for you, but the cavalier attitude some of you show almost sounds like you're trying to be macho about it, and that's silly.

So, here's how it is. All batteries have the potential to fail in an unpleasant way. With LiPo, the cheaper cells are much more likely to fail than higher quality cells, but they all have that risk. Sometimes these cells fail for no reason at all, though that's rare. Still, there's plenty of cases of it happening. Plus, we put these cells through a fair amount of abuse, possibly leading to hidden damage that doesn't immediately result in a failure. It costs little more than a few extra minutes each week to protect your belongings and family from your hobby.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Theres a risk just putting anuy button the charger

In your laptop, do you store it in a bomb safe? Do you put your cell phone in a lipo sack?

No, theres a risk those will blow up too

Lipos just need to be treated right, I dont see them any more/less dangerous then nimh, and I never worried about my nimh, and I dont on my lipos too

Just in MY PERSONAL opinion though
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

I'll never claim to be the smartest guy around......

Do we race cell phones??

I really think compairing a cell phone battery to a r/c lipo batter is like comparing a 4300 nimh cell to a AA...

I guess what I'm trying to say....... If you start seeing adds on tv about the cell phone batteries producing more power.... You just might want to get a pocket lipo sack.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by smoke81
I'll never claim to be the smartest guy around......

Do we race cell phones??

I really think compairing a cell phone battery to a r/c lipo batter is like comparing a 4300 nimh cell to a AA...

I guess what I'm trying to say....... If you start seeing adds on tv about the cell phone batteries producing more power.... You just might want to get a pocket lipo sack.
Hey man, as I said, my personal opinion........
Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

The first step to prevention is AWARENESS.
If a lipo pack blew up.? What would you do.?
Theres no sand box at the track no tub of water. What do you do?
No fire proof gloves to grab and run with it.
Its going to happen. Think it through and be ready for the worst.

Correct storage and charging and all the awareness in the world will not prevent Murphy's law. you have to be ready. How about a plan.? A procedure.

One bad crash on the track and fire fire. We marshal with out gloves and safety glasses, we blow are cars of at the air hose with no safety glasses on.
Lets get real. Some wear safety glasses at the hose some don't.
We all know we should same as yet we make that decision at the air hose.
We huff Paragon like drug addicted racers.

When its required then we will all do it. When theres a box to throw it in and dump sand on it or a tub of water to throw it in we will have a method or plan to effectively defuse it.
If a lipo absolutely needs a bag or what ever then so does sub-c.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Hey man, as I said, my personal opinion........
Your welcome to state yours.. As am I.. and I did
Old 10-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Theres a risk just putting anuy button the charger

In your laptop, do you store it in a bomb safe? Do you put your cell phone in a lipo sack?

No, theres a risk those will blow up too

Lipos just need to be treated right, I dont see them any more/less dangerous then nimh, and I never worried about my nimh, and I dont on my lipos too

Just in MY PERSONAL opinion though
I realize you're young, and you seem like a nice kid, so I'll do my best not to insult you, and respect your right to your opinion. I just urge you to look around at the world and realize that just about anything regarding safety, be it helmets, hard hats, seat belts or protective goggles are in place not because everybody was having trouble, but rather a few people did, and it made sense to try and prevent the same thing from happening to others. These are some extreme examples, but the point is just because something hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't make it any less likely down the road.

I don't store my consumer electronics in a bunker, but I also don't routinely pound them into boards, steel poles and walls at 30+mph. I do, however, return every single battery that's part of a recall. I've done it 4 different times in the last 3 years on devices from 3 different companies.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
The first step to prevention is AWARENESS.
If a lipo pack blew up.? What would you do.?
Theres no sand box at the track no tub of water. What do you do?
No fire proof gloves to grab and run with it.
Its going to happen. Think it through and be ready for the worst.

Correct storage and charging and all the awareness in the world will not prevent Murphy's law. you have to be ready. How about a plan.? A procedure.

One bad crash on the track and fire fire. We marshal with out gloves and safety glasses, we blow are cars of at the air hose with no safety glasses on.
Lets get real. Some wear safety glasses at the hose some don't.
We all know we should same as yet we make that decision at the air hose.
We huff Paragon like drug addicted racers.

When its required then we will all do it. When theres a box to throw it in and dump sand on it or a tub of water to throw it in we will have a method or plan to effectively defuse it.
If a lipo absolutely needs a bag or what ever then so does sub-c.

That is very true.... And if it happened it sucks, I dont know wht I would do if my car was on fire, I would probably get in there with something and rip out the pack

Originally Posted by smoke81
Your welcome to state yours.. As am I.. and I did

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I realize you're young, and you seem like a nice kid, so I'll do my best not to insult you, and respect your right to your opinion. I just urge you to look around at the world and realize that just about anything regarding safety, be it helmets, hard hats, seat belts or protective goggles are in place not because everybody was having trouble, but rather a few people did, and it made sense to try and prevent the same thing from happening to others. These are some extreme examples, but the point is just because something hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't make it any less likely down the road.

I don't store my consumer electronics in a bunker, but I also don't routinely pound them into boards, steel poles and walls at 30+mph. I do, however, return every single battery that's part of a recall. I've done it 4 different times in the last 3 years on devices from 3 different companies.

I am young.... I wont take what you say offensively, weather your saying im dumb, or you think different, so say what you want, thats fine..... But thats just the way I use my stuff.... Maybe I will regret not using a lipo sack, but so far in 2 years I havent had any probs, that doesnt mean there wont be a issue, but if you ask me, just checking over settings, and all goes away's.....I probably should have something, but I just dont

I would like a lipo sack for the track, I do mind my lipos blowing up, but it is money, and can be fixed, its not like the batt is much more money then just racing every week (tires parts etc) But sitting next to someone scares me if they were to blow up, and be so close to them

Indoor season is coming up, and I will order a lipo sack, I race out doors, and there is a place I could throw it to blow up where it wouldnt burn anything, and theres also a sink, and a water washer thingy filled with water (nitro guys)... but indoors, I will take a better safety route, so I do see what your saying
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Lord

I wasn't insinuating that you're dumb. All I really meant is that youth is often accompanied by a sense of being invincible. Anyway, it looks like you're using good packs, and treating them with respect, so that's definitely the most important thing. It's probably the lack of those two things that causes some huge majority of battery failures. I just want them to be "safe" when I'm not around to intervene if something goes wrong, like while I'm sleeping, or letting the batteries ride shotgun. :-O
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Lord

http://www.pldaniels.com/flying/vide...sposal-360x288

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.