R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Novak "Light" Brushless Motors

www.teamnovak.com, I think that this is getting out of hand (but I will still buy them.lol). Do we need "light" motors? Should be a new rotor next week at this rate. Novak is becoming the "Xray" of r/c electronics (not a bad thing in my eyes, just dont have the $$$ to keep up)

Last edited by convikt; 10-11-2007 at 09:17 AM.
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

a very smart motor builder said when BL motors take over the only difference will be the motor of the month will cost 80 bucks instead of 40 , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3619 View Post
a very smart motor builder said when BL motors take over the only difference will be the motor of the month will cost 80 bucks instead of 40 , ray
AMEN! But you can't seem to make ppl see that!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default light motors

Are you faulting a company for trying to make money? Remember this is a hobby, you don't have to keep buying the latest equipment.

Novak currently has a range of motors that let you select the speed and feel that you want. This is similar to the brushed mod motors with 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,etc turns in single, double, triple, and quad winds.

Did you think that there would be 4 winds of brushless motors?
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Tech Legend

Still save twice that on brush`s & such ...

Brushless saves money & time compared to those 40 dollar money muncher`s...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3619 View Post
Look around...that "very smart motor builder" is going to be a "very hungry motor builder" as long as bl keeps staem rollin'. Brushless is the future, and the future is on us.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy building a fast CO27, after all, I have a lathe, brushes, dyno, you know what I mean
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Are you faulting a company for trying to make money? Remember this is a hobby, you don't have to keep buying the latest equipment.

Novak currently has a range of motors that let you select the speed and feel that you want. This is similar to the brushed mod motors with 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,etc turns in single, double, triple, and quad winds.

Did you think that there would be 4 winds of brushless motors?
No I don't fault a company for trying to make money. The problem I see is this.

At one of my local tracks they have been allowing the Novak 13.5 ONLY in stk. with the brushed cars for over a year now. Now since the 17.5 is out they are testing that to see if it is "close" to the brushed motors and to try and slow the racing down for the newer guys. If that ends up being the case. All of the guys will now have to go out and buy a 17.5 plus a rotor. And that $80 13.5 they have will be sitting there collecting dust.

I have been in this hobby since 1985, the one concern when someone new walks up to the track is COST! When they ask how much is this and that and how much to get started. Telling them that the "new" technology that has NO RULES is brushless and that a motor that used to be $32 is now $80+ and that 13.5 they just spent the money on may not be what the track is using in a month....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Oh boo hoo. It's a tuning option, not a required upgrade. Just like the fat rotor, it gives you the ability to improve the feel of your motor for a given situation. Quit trying to twist it into something it's not. These motors are actually slower, and have less torque.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Oh boo hoo. It's a tuning option, not a required upgrade. Just like the fat rotor, it gives you the ability to improve the feel of your motor for a given situation. Quit trying to twist it into something it's not. These motors are actually slower, and have less torque.

Tuning options would be the features that my 3PK has. They are just staying ahead of the game that they created
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Well considering the standard versions of the Velocitis are essentially a few years old at this point I don't think that an expansion of the product line is that out of control.

These motors are tuning options and they give the people who have complained that there hasn't been enough "tunability" with brushless motors something to tune with!

I think that if we sit around on our hands and don't do anything we would have just as many people complaining that there isn't anything new as we have who are complaining that there is something new!

We're always trying to improve our products and our product line in an effort to give the customer the best possible product for their given application and if that means coming out with a new rotor or wind styles every year or so
then I guess that's what it means.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm i never though we would see motor of the month wiht brushless! LOL

Im still waiting for a ROAR stock brushless standard sowe can evolve our stock classes to brushless without killing stock.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
And that $80 13.5 they have will be sitting there collecting dust.
Here is what I've been telling people who have been thinking that way...

If you BOUGHT a 13.5 ... and raced it ... ask yourself HOW MANY RACES did I run it? For yucks, lets use 4 race days. (average 4 races per race day including all the qualifiers) so that would be 16 races...so that would be a cost of $5.00 PER run.

Now, you decided to switch to a slower class (say 17.5) and you buy that NEW motor... WHY does that old 13.5 need to sit and collect dust? RESELL IT, either locally, or on the net. They are bringing $45.00 - 60.00 bucks here on RCTech for most of the ones with sintered rotors..and around $35.00 - 45.00 for the non sintered.

So if you re-evaluate your motor cost...on the original $80.00 purchase...and now look at it as a $30.00 purchase (because you just sold it for $50.00 bucks) your "Cost Per Run" dropped to about $1.85 per run... and THAT my friends is almost the same price as ONE SET of BRUSHES per run...with NO Comm Cutting - No Break In Time - No MOTOR Tuning...nada~zip~zilch

For MOST people the 'resale' value of a Brushless motor will be a lot higher than the value of ANY brushed motor (yes, there are exceptions to that...because some guys USED motors are worth premium money to some people...because they could NEVER build a good motor themselves.)

...as for the legality of the new LIGHTER MOTOR, or the NEW BIGGER ROTOR - or the NEW SMALLER Rotor..When IT comes out... if YOU the racers don't allow it - it won't sell - if it doesn't sell - it will disappear...

DON'T buy into the HYPE of a New Product - keep running what you have if it works for YOU...and KEEP refining it and you'll stay ahead of the competition...

(Thankfully, from what I'm seeing they are only doing the LIGHT Motors for the HOT MOD winds.. we don't need this confusion in the slower classes - things are confusing enough already for too many guys wanting to switch to B/L)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

SWTour hit on a good point:

These lightweight motors are intended for modified racing...

The "spec" type motors... 8.5, 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, etc are NOT being tampered with or changed... we have no plans to release lightweight versions of these motors.

We understand that there are MANY of these motors out there in circulation being raced and in the interest of the racers and the organizations we have put a freeze on the designs of those motors so we DON'T get into a motor of the month syndrome.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Allow me to be the voice of reason:

Sell your lathes while there's still suckers out there willing to buy them.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #15

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

....so you can have the cash handy to buy our carbon fiber rotor cases, for the collection of rotors you'll soon have on hand to keep up with the BL "revolution."
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote