R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #46
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is anyone else having trouble loading teamnovak.com?

I'd like to get a look at what got the latest brushless hubub going, but ever time I try to load the page, it just keeps saying its connecting?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Is anyone else having trouble loading teamnovak.com?

I'd like to get a look at what got the latest brushless hubub going, but ever time I try to load the page, it just keeps saying its connecting?
I cant get to it either. Perhaps they are updating it after the suggestions?

Charlie, couldnt read your tone on that post. I wasnt trying to be a jerk about anything. I just figured if I were confused others might be too. The teaser doesnt say anything about the weight and nothing suggests the detail would either. Like I said "light" has a lot of meanings to a lot of people.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #48
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Finally got it to pop up. But it wasn't working there for a good bit.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

wow, I wasnt tring to get the $hit started. w/ this thread After reading Mr. Weiss' statement, It doesnt seem as excesive as I thought. Maybe its just some new or updated products came out so quickly together, thats why it seemed like an XRAY approch. I truly love the Novak BL motors (I have had 9 different ones), with only one problem w/ one, and have ran the piss out of them. I do like the evoulotion of or hobby, with brushless and lipo. It just seems that w/ so many changes to the motors so quickly (mainly rotors and updates to cans), it will be harder to get the ALMIGHTY ROAR to make these legal, in lesser classes than modified. I will still continue to buy the Novaks (17.5's to 3.5's) w/ pleasure

P.S. Integy auto comm lathe for sale
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok, well I just made the jump to brushless after many years of "regular" racing. So far I love the simplicity. Nobody has said anything on the thread about how the lite motors feel compared to the same number of regular velocity mod motor. I'm ready to get me on of the mod motors but unsure about which one might be most appropriate for 1/12th mod on carpet. Some meaningful opinions (especially Charlie's) would be appreciated. I'm thinking the 4.5 velocity lite would be a good choice. Agreed????
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #51
Tech Adept

Smile

Va-

Not sure where you race however I do run Novak Brushless motors. I am not aware of your skill level or your track size but I can say that the Top Level guys at the IIC were running motors from different MFG.'s including Novak of 4.5's.

Well here at my track I have a choice of motors I can run between 4.5 all the way up to 17.5 (Novak’s). When I run usually the track really never has the same amount of traction you might see at a Big race. In addition it takes a very special person to drive a 4.5 in control for 8 minutes especially if your track does not have a lot of cars building a groove.

So my thought is as follows. By all means buy a 4.5 but you will be more successful with either a 5.5 or 6.5. Each of these motors geared correctly will run with a 4.5 and will be less taxing on your equipment.
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Allow me to be the voice of reason:

Sell your lathes while there's still suckers out there willing to buy them.
It is too late. I have been trying to sell my Hudy com lathe and NOBODY is interest. But with brushless I am still way ahead cost wise even if I can't sell the com lathe.

BBB
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #53
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

A fair amount of us ran the lightweight motors in our cars at the IIC for various reasons...

Even though the track was high traction this year some of our drivers wanted a bit softer bottom end feel while negotiating the corners. Basically what this means is that they wanted a little smoother feel...less abrupt change in throttle for a given finger movement.

We used the 13.0 mm rotor in conjunction with the lightweight motors to get a better "more natural" drag brake feel out of the motors as compared to the 12.3 mm rotor.

The 13.0 mm rotor also tends to give stronger and more consistant brakes than the original 12.3 mm rotor as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #54
Tech Adept

If this has already been answered then forgive me for asking twice. I tend to do that sometimes.....Now when might the "Light" motors be available?

thanks
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #55
Tech Master

I don't have official time frame on the release, but usually our track record is about 1-2 months after we start talking about them.

We've been testing them for a while now with the team.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #56
Tech Master

There was no "tone" intended. Just stating facts is all.

Tight tracks or Lesser traction seem to be place for the Light motors. With carpet racing the cars are fairly on edge, with very short sections of the track, or in the ICC, some tricky carosel type corners. The motor being smoother or softer from the bottom to middle, makes the car "easier" to drive.

Steve hit it right on the head.

It's not really about being better or worse, it's just something that is different.

As good as the Pro's are, you would be surprised how many of them don't practice much. Or more accurately, don't get to practice ALL the classes they race all the time. So when something changes, or is new to them, they have limited time to get used to it while the pressure is on. Having options like this are simply ways to make things happen "easier" or faster due to the limited time. Somtimes, Slower is Faster.

Our Light motor is kind of like the "half turn" motors some of the other teams have been using, it's an in-between power level.

The L motors when compared directly to an R motor are basically "softer" from the bottom to the middle of the throttle. It may or may not sound bad, but they simply do things slower then the R motor. Again, sometimes slower is faster.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #57
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
www.teamnovak.com, I think that this is getting out of hand (but I will still buy them.lol). Do we need "light" motors? Should be a new rotor next week at this rate. Novak is becoming the "Xray" of r/c electronics (not a bad thing in my eyes, just dont have the $$$ to keep up)
I don't think a company would invest time and money developing new products if people weren't buying them.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
But it's always easier to post something on a forum then to read the text that explains the question your asking.....

your right, some of us actually work at work, and cant spend 4 hrs a day on the net. (no tone here either)
Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I don't think a company would invest time and money developing new products if people weren't buying them.

re-read my post, I will still buy them. Just seemed excessive at the time when I heard about them
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks to all for the recent meaningful input and comments about the light motors. very informative.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote