R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Well, the motors ARE lighter... hence the name!

The standard motors are around 185 grams, the lightweight motors are around 165 grams.
OK, I guess I was just confused. Looks like I might not have been the only one. Light has so many meanings. It could be seen as regular vs light (as in not as many features), light could imply the regular is heavy and slow (which it sounds like the opposite is true) as syndr0me pointed out, it could mean not as heavy (was this a side effect or was the slower braking /acceleration the side of effect of making it lighter??), could mean less calories. I understand now but I wonder from a marketing standpoint if this is going to be problematic for Novak? I hope Im the only slow one
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
OK, I guess I was just confused. Looks like I might not have been the only one. Light has so many meanings. It could be seen as regular vs light (as in not as many features), light could imply the regular is heavy and slow (which it sounds like the opposite is true) as syndr0me pointed out, it could mean not as heavy (was this a side effect or was the slower braking /acceleration the side of effect of making it lighter??), could mean less calories. I understand now but I wonder from a marketing standpoint if this is going to be problematic for Novak? I hope Im the only slow one
It's easily confused with its homonym, "lite."

Maybe they should have called the EX series "Lite" and this new series "Light." That would be awesome.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #33
Tech Champion

I did just go to read the details page and have a better understanding now. The homepage pictures it and highlights the following words to start it out:

Velociti Light Brushless Motor series
slower acceleration
softer braking power

Might wanna talk to that web guy! When selling a racing product not usually wise to highlight the word slower LOL.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's easily confused with its homonym, "lite."

Maybe they should have called the EX series "Lite" and this new series "Light." That would be awesome.
That would have made it perfectly clear! Perhaps they could hire you to do their marketing on the side
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

maybe "softer" acceleration. or "smoother".
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
That would have made it perfectly clear! Perhaps they could hire you to do their marketing on the side
I'd get rid of public enemy #1:

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #37
Tech Lord

I'm just teasing, guys... nothing but love. :-)
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Tech Champion

The cable itself doesnt bother me. The fact that its permanently attached to the motor and cant be shorted does though.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post

Im still waiting for a ROAR stock brushless standard sowe can evolve our stock classes to brushless without killing stock.
Thus far Stock is proving itself inferior to BL 13.5 in many ways & has already begun to die except at the major races....good riddance

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What I really need is a case to hold my LRP 13.5, Orion 13.5, and spare Novak 13.5.
DITTO!!

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

My thought for ending the motor of the month is bring back the RPM limit for STOCK and SPEC class racing. With a limit there would be less of a push to get the latest motor. Also with an RPM limit, SPEC class racing can be more affordable. Buy any appoved 13.5T motor and with the RPM limit, you can run SPEC or STOCK, with out the limit its ProStock. So one motor can be used for three classes of racing. Yes there would have to be two RPM limits one for SPEC and one for STOCK. The tech may be harder to do but it my be time to bring back the wheel dyno. Where you place the car on the dyno give full throttle. A slave motor spins up and using a volt meter you can tech the speed of the car. Then repeat the test with the amp meter. If the car dynos over the limit racer has to gear down or change batteries.

How many entry level club racers do you know that can make a heat without crashing three times? I think the old vetrans should lend out a helping hand to better car setups and teaching new drivers. Racing should be a balance between power and silky smooth driving. Right now, new racers are doing the "Turn and Burn" style of aggressive racing. So think they need more powerfull motors, batteries and more expensive tires to make their cars slam into the walls harder.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #42
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3619 View Post
a very smart motor builder said when BL motors take over the only difference will be the motor of the month will cost 80 bucks instead of 40 , ray
And let me guess, that "smart motor builder" was still making, tuning, selling brushed motors? What do you expect them to say, "go buy brushless".

I have been running brushless for a couple seasons, and the only thing I've done to my motors is blow them out with a compressor. So if this "smart motor builder" thinks that the only thing changing is the cost of the motor, then they can't be all that smart now can they?

-No brushes to buy
-No springs
-Virtually no up keep

Yeah, nothings changing but the price.

Personally, I don't see how this crap keeps coming up over and over and over again in thread after thread after thread. Here's a wild thought...

If you like brushed motors, run brushed motors
If you like NiMH batteries, run NiMH batteries...

...but don't try to convince those of us who have made the switch that we're no better off than the old way. Because we know better...we've tried both ways, and I have YET to see anybody go back to the old way after trying the new...
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #43
Tech Master

Wow, nothing in the 13.5 10.5 or the 17.5 is going to change. Our intention with the new 13 mm rotor is for MOD racing, that is why it has the little groove, so if your track director decides to not make them legal, you can check the motors in the car.

If you read the release, not just the Teaser text, everything steve has explained, is also explained there.

But it's always easier to post something on a forum then to read the text that explains the question your asking.....

Softer/Slower acceleration always means the same thing, I'll be sure to share all your thoughts with our marketing team. Thanks for the pointers guys.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How about we stop bulshitting on about all of the other aspects of this thread and ask meaningful questions like, well considering we are in the onroad thread, How the TC feels with one of these motors installed compared to a regular Novak.

Charlie, whats your favourite saying again?
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Charlie,

I read somewhere that you guys used the Light motors at the IIC to some extent. Mind sharing with us what classes, and why they were beneficial? I get the impression from reading that they're better suited for low-traction environments, which was definitely not the case at IIC from what I've read. Also, to what extent was the 13mm rotor used at IIC?

I like the 13mm rotor in my 13.5. It gave the motor a more natural feel, similar to the LRP 13.5, but doesn't seem to do much to affect the speed. Plus, the rotor doesn't kill itself after a few runs like the craptastic LRP sintered.

As for complaints about the Internet, while the crowd is definitely tough, it also gives rise to things like, you know, your shopatron site that gives people the ability to buy products without you guys having to maintain a store front, or so much as swipe a credit card. They probably even do your fulfillment, right? See, it's not ALL bad. :-)