Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Truer

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tire Truer

I am looking for a tire truer. We only run sedan. I have looked at the manual truers and think that for the money that would be the way to go. Am I missing something? Other then the obvious advantage of the automatic truer what else is there? Any help/information is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you can afford it, the Hudy truer is by far the best truer on the market. The bit alone is worth it's weight in gold; perfect, clean cuts every time.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...7&kategoria=62

A manual truer will work, just make sure you get one with a good bit, or that a Hudy bit will work in. The main benefit of a automatic truer over manual is that it is automatic; turn it on and it does all the work for you, freeing up some time to relax or talk with your friends while at the track.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

What he said.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think you can go wrong with a Hudy truer. I would pick up the carbide cutter at the same time.
chuck
Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The Hudy is pretty (and $$$)...but their bit/blade will also fit on just about any cutter and it'll cut just as nice.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

hudy is best if you want to spend the $.
it will do you well and if there is 2 or more ppl using it you'll be happy.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default truer

I understand the benifits to the automatic part of the truer. We only race on a club level with a couple extra races thrown in. I think last year we went through maybe 4 sets of tires. Is this worth the extra expense of the auto truer? Has anyone had a manual and traded up? Was the step up worth it? Does the manual do a good job? Would I need to buy a new bit for a manual truer to make it work well enough?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Foam tire or Rubber tire ?
if Foam tire can choice HUDY or 3 racing cheaper
If Rubber can choice Much More
Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use the Integy Eagle Racing Truecut #C22306 with a Hudy carbide bit. I had to grind the mounting tab thinner with a dremel to fit the truer's tool holder, but it cuts every bit as good as a Hudy truer. It's just a light weight manual portable you won't mind taking with you, which suits me fine. You will still need to purchase an arbor, but you would with any other truer, too. The lathe comes with a couple of cutters that will last quite a while, just when it's time to get more cutters, don't hesitate to get the hudy carbide, it will be the last you ever get. It will take all the standard sized arbors, too.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sheetmetal2
I understand the benifits to the automatic part of the truer. We only race on a club level with a couple extra races thrown in. I think last year we went through maybe 4 sets of tires. Is this worth the extra expense of the auto truer? Has anyone had a manual and traded up? Was the step up worth it? Does the manual do a good job? Would I need to buy a new bit for a manual truer to make it work well enough?
Its not the fact that its automatic, it is extremly well made. As for the answer to your actual question, yes the manual will work just fine. Some times the dial "walks" on older ones so it may be a little different thean the next, but it is so minimal
Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too have the Eagle Racing Truecut #C22306 and love it! The motor is quiet, yet it's a monster! There is no motor shaft slop, and it works well if you don't mind doing it manually.

It appears that Integy has bought out Eagle Racing's design, as it's now rebadged under the Integy name.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Originally Posted by James35
I too have the Eagle Racing Truecut #C22306 and love it! The motor is quiet, yet it's a monster! There is no motor shaft slop, and it works well if you don't mind doing it manually.

It appears that Integy has bought out Eagle Racing's design, as it's now rebadged under the Integy name.
I also have one and love it the action is smooth and the motor has enought power to hack a tire to size in one shot
Old 10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

The only comment I'll make is:
Make sure the cut-depth guage is easy to read. I bought a Corally automatic truer, and use a Hudy carbide bit. It cuts great, but the guage is hard to read. It is printed on the actual slide barrel, and is in 2.5mm increments.
The guage on the Hudy is much easier to read, and is very accurate.
I've seen the 3racing truer, and it looks good. The guage is also easy to read, but I have no experiance with it's accuracy.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Hudy is definitely an excellent truer, but if you're only going to use it a few times per year, look into the manual truer from Ofna, PN 20002. These can be found for ~ $60 USD. You'll still need an arbor though.

http://www.ofna.com/tool-Tire.html
Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

I have a 3 racing truer, but put a Windtunnel cutter on it. Overall it works great. The only issue is that with the Windtunnel bit I couldn't cut 1/12 tires once it got small, so I extended the bit out. The markings were pretty accurate with the hacksaw blades (within a mm) and after figuring out the difference with the new cutter can get my tires pretty much right on the first try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.