R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #46
PDM
Tech Adept

Dear ROAR friends (allow me the words)

I am from europe. Because of that I should have nothing to do with ROAR...but I do. In fact all european rc drivers have. Some care about it, some don't. Some pay to race and do this for an hobby, some get payed to race.

I practice 1:10 scale electric cars as a hobby among electric model airplanes, helis, and sailboats.

I was reeding the topic and was surprised for the words saying that Roar has so few people voting, because I have the ideia that what ROAR decides will rule the hobby in the world. The USA represents 50% of the global volume of money that RC industry generates, so what are the rules for ROAR will be the rules for IFMAR and then for EFRA and then for all the countries in europe.

I started racing 1:10 electrics 2 years ago and was surprised for the amount of limitations for the sport, concerning nacional races. I could not buy a brushless motor of the same brand that I was using in my airplane and I could not use lipo batteries.

I started to investigate and I conclude that all the rules have in mind a comercial proteccion of some factories and brands, but should not the rules have in mind the protection of the hobby it self assuring its future by allowing people the best value for money options.

I was not happy when I heard last year that ROAR was not allowing Lipo cells as in this country where I live we were discussing the use of Lipo, and that Roar announcement stopped all the efforts.

Can not the rules be so simple that says the size of a car, the size of the motors and the maximum voltage of the batteries?

This will allow people to choose from the brands they want and the type of motors and cells they want, and I believe nothing else is needed to make this hobby big.

Simple rules, big joy. Stop protecting who is not trying to give us drivers the best products, make possible that the ones that are really comitted for that can sell.

(sorry for my english)
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Racer's input does matter to ROAR. The problem is which racer?

One person here has already posted "I'll never join ROAR until they allow LiPo's."

I've heard other people say "If ROAR allows LiPo's I'll never join ROAR again!"

Take out the word LiPo and put in brushless and the arguments the same.

Right now it's about 50/50 for each debate. Who do you listen to?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Hey Dawn,

A suggestion from a committed (and, in my own way, active ROAR member)

The ballot should be announced via a mass e-mail to members like the ones that go out when the Rev-Up is out. I just happened to spot the announcement here this morning.

Thanks for everything you've done.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Hey Dawn,

A suggestion from a committed (and, in my own way, active ROAR member)

The ballot should be announced via a mass e-mail to members like the ones that go out when the Rev-Up is out. I just happened to spot the announcement here this morning.

Thanks for everything you've done.

Scottrik
I would have to agree on that as IF another member had not posted about elections I would have let it slip through the cracks...

Mass EMAIL has my vote ! ! !

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #50
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

time is getting near, your ballot has to be in by the 15th.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #51
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Racer's input does matter to ROAR. The problem is which racer?

One person here has already posted "I'll never join ROAR until they allow LiPo's."

I've heard other people say "If ROAR allows LiPo's I'll never join ROAR again!"

Take out the word LiPo and put in brushless and the arguments the same.

Right now it's about 50/50 for each debate. Who do you listen to?
Both , as both should of been allowed to compete together long ago....

and

I said rejoin, not join .....
Was a member of Roar for year`s & year`s until this battery problem crop up.

still waiting ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Come up with some more excuses. Everytime its something else...................
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...I sometimes find it funny the reasons people can come up with for not joining ROAR...

for what equals about 9 gallons of gas here in Calif. you can join ROAR, get a membership in an organization that provides a rules structure, and insurance for our hobby of which without many tracks and clubs could not survive.

as far as what ROAR legalizes WHO CARES. The RULE book has provisions that allow clubs and tracks to allow classes of their own. The only REAL effect of the rule book is at REGIONAL and NATIONAL events...and even then the host track usually has the right to a special class if they desire.

as a racer, if you want something from the organization...JOIN/VOTE and be heard. Support your local track, touring series, or what ever racing you have in your area. If it's a LIPO/BRUSHLESS based class you want...help organize it...help generate interest in it..and make sure there are racers to race it...

ROAR Member 12-110396
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #54
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
...I sometimes find it funny the reasons people can come up with for not joining ROAR...

for what equals about 9 gallons of gas here in Calif. you can join ROAR, get a membership in an organization that provides a rules structure, and insurance for our hobby of which without many tracks and clubs could not survive.

as far as what ROAR legalizes WHO CARES. The RULE book has provisions that allow clubs and tracks to allow classes of their own. The only REAL effect of the rule book is at REGIONAL and NATIONAL events...and even then the host track usually has the right to a special class if they desire.

as a racer, if you want something from the organization...JOIN/VOTE and be heard. Support your local track, touring series, or what ever racing you have in your area. If it's a LIPO/BRUSHLESS based class you want...help organize it...help generate interest in it..and make sure there are racers to race it...

ROAR Member 12-110396
My reason`s for not rejoining are not a excuse...

rather

It is my only way to protest !
Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #55
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Sent my ballot in...
Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #56
Tech Initiate

Default ROAR Elections

My son and I have been out of racing for a couple of years since he left for college but I thought I would loook at ROAR's site and I am not suprised to see the participation in elections drop off even more so than in years past:

2007 ELECTION RESULTS
54 votes out of 4461 members (1.2) % of membership)
(not all ballots voted for Vice President)
Vice President
Votes
Dawn Sanchez (Write in)
Andrew Mowery (see note)
Write Ins (Other)
Region 1
Jim LaStella
Write Ins
Region 3
Brandon Melton
Write ins
Region5
Terry Rott (Write In)
Rob King
Write ins (Other)
Region 7
Sandy Schwartz (Write in)
Write ins (Other)
Region 9
Steve McLaughlin (Write in)
Tommy Porfirio
Write ins (Other)
Region 11
Doug Papka
Write ins
CANADA
Don Ropcean
Write ins
NOTE: Andrew Mowery has accepted another appointed position on the Executive Committee
John Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Pretty pathetic if you ask me...
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Yeah, but what club isn't pretty much the same way when elections come up? At least at the regional level. I know we are always delighted when we find a couple suckers...I mean candidates...who are willing to do the job for a year. They are invariably elected in just because they were willing.

Then people get lulled into a sense of apathy by the "there's only one candidate, why bother voting. More on that below.

Something that WAS interesting is the VP part of the election...a write-in candidate won. I'm delighted that Dawn will be back with us, not so sure how she feels. I'm equally confident Andrew would have done a fine job too. What this shows is the danger of membership apathy. Pretty much any track or race program COULD have decided to sabotage the region by installing an incompetent RD with just a few write-in votes. Hell, even here in Region 11 our RD scored a whopping 17 votes, TWELVE OF WHICH CAME FROM OUR CLUB OVER HERE IN BFE. I know this for fact because I was the guy who had 11 of those people fill them out and mailed 'em in. Even the majority of Doug's own racers couldn't be bothered to pry their asses off the sofa and vote for their man. All it would have taken was two cases of beer at any TRCR event and ponying up a $30 entry fee and Cherry could have been our RD via write-in. Think about that. I love George, but that would have been the kiss of death to ROAR activities in this region.

Ah well, off my soapbox. I just hope everybody realizes this doesn't point to something wrong with ROAR...it's something that's wrong with the ROAR members.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #59
Tech Legend

Can`t kill something that is already dead....

But wait !

Stand back ...

Lets try zapping it with a Li-Po powered defibrillator and see if its alive ...

Yeah never know

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-31-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

personally i'd like to give the racers at TRCR more credit then that. plus i'm gonna guess theres probably 2 maybe 3 guys there that are roar members.

btw i think only about 3-4 of " dougs racers" are roar members i know only a few raced paved nats that were held at their home track. go figure that out.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote