Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about NiMH/NiCD Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Default Questions about NiMH/NiCD Batteries

I was just wondering:
1. Why is there a voltage drop after the NiMH/NiCD cell becomes full?
2. Does this happen with LiPos? Why and why not?
3. Why does a battery produce heat after its charged full or while its charging?

I know these are more science questions, but I think there should be some smart people in here that know.

What does this have to do with racing? I am a high level science teacher. I want to stir interest in high schools about this fantastic hobby, but first, I want to find a "link" into the curriculum I am currently teaching.

This is a fantastic hobby, and I know many of us would like more young people to join this hobby with us. I am just doing my fair share .

Thank you for your time.

Patrick
Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I was just wondering:
1. Why is there a voltage drop after the NiMH/NiCD cell becomes full?
2. Does this happen with LiPos? Why and why not?
3. Why does a battery produce heat after its charged full or while its charging?

I know these are more science questions, but I think there should be some smart people in here that know.

What does this have to do with racing? I am a high level science teacher. I want to stir interest in high schools about this fantastic hobby, but first, I want to find a "link" into the curriculum I am currently teaching.

This is a fantastic hobby, and I know many of us would like more young people to join this hobby with us. I am just doing my fair share .

Thank you for your time.

Patrick
Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I believe that a lot of it has to do with electrical resistance. When a battery peaks, the cell's electrical resistance will go up if you try to apply any more charge current, & higher resistance has two effects, lower voltage & it also produces heat, as excess electricity is burned off. Now that being said, I'm not sure if it works the same way with LiPos, as I've never used them, but I would be surprised if they behaved much different along those lines.....
Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

COOL!!!