R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default HOW OFTEN DO YOU STRIP ??

Ive noticed that the more serious i get about trying to win.
I need my car to perform right .
after the first few months of learning how to set the car up, and finnaly getting a working setup, then getting hop ups you start to take more notice of the little things.
cleaning out bearings, rebuilding diffs, rebuilding CVD's, tweek, shimms, shocks, camber, toe, swing arm pins,,,,,the list goes on....

After purchasing ceramic bearings witch cost $$$ i want them to last, and can notice the diffrence on rolling to a stop...
cleaning them and relubing is a pain,,,,,, first i blow them out with contact cleaner, check to feel there clean, then relube with (my secret)..Lanolin oops.
But to much lube attracts dust and road grime and makes a grinding paste and too little, not worth doing..

Now i strip my car down nearly every meet,
and the procces take about 2-4 hours depending on drinks..and what needs to be done...

One of my tricks for ball joints, put a peice of plastic (from a new parts bag) over the ball and clip down the cup, trim off excess plastic ,,,no more ball slop..

Thers no easy way, but just how often are you prepared to do it.
Got any good tips & tricks??
Attached Thumbnails
HOW OFTEN DO YOU STRIP ??-imgp0355.jpg  
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

I have a TT-01 and when I decide to clean and re-oil/grease/lube/fix and what ever else I seriously get to it. I take apart the car down to step 1 in the instruction manual and then re-build it after cleaning and everything. Only thing is I don't do it every time I race this is a once in a month or so experience for me.
AussieSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah i probibly should but i dont seem to get much time, but i do bearings and different maintanance diffs etc... normally i do 1 thing a week so i may do bearings this week diffs next week etc...
i hope this helps
pti goliath crawler... (always being modified)
hpi baja 5b ss 29.5 cc setting up 4 1/4 scale speedway
acko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

I rebuild my cars before every race day.. Mainley just the moving parts.. If the car is fast i usually try to leave the geometry stuff the same... as long as the bearings spin free, and the suspension is smooth with no binds, it should be good.. I also make sure i have a can of air, or a compressor handy, and blow off the car after every run.. this keeps it much cleaner, and makes the rebuild process quicker.. Some guys i know dont every blow off there cars.. by the end of the day there so dirty, the cleaning alone would take hours... a little here and there helps a ton..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #5

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I build a car. Eventually it wears out, I replace it. Should I break something in the meantime I fix it, but I never "tear down" the car. Unless your racing on a national level and winning really means something, that hundredth of a second that those clean bearings and freshly greased CVD's will give you mean nothing when it comes to club racing. You're wasting time that could be better spent on practice, or strippers.

If it is a big race I will go through a car and make sure none of the bearings are blown or anything. But from week to week, month to month, the car hits the track in the same state it did before and it's just as fast as it was on day one.

My current T2 was ran in a 4 hour enduro, has been indoors, outdoors, thousands upon thousands of laps and hundreds of practice packs through it. I've taken the diffs out and rebuilt them when they get gross, but the bearings are all stock, all original, and never opened/cleaned. Car still works fine and is still fast.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I pull the diffs out every couple of months, or when they start getting really gritty. Usually, since I'm in there anyway, I'll pull the hub bearings and make sure they're not blown out or gritty. Carpet fibers like to get in there and gum up the works.

Other stuff I just replace when it fails, or seems to be near failure. I try not to agonize over tiny bits of slop, and don't worry too much about my drive train unless it's noticeably stiff. To be honest, I think the torque of the brushless motors is able to pull through those little problems. And as far as slop goes, the car seems to work better when things aren't tight and bound up.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
I build a car. Eventually it wears out, I replace it. Should I break something in the meantime I fix it, but I never "tear down" the car. Car still works fine and is still fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I pull the diffs out every couple of months, or when they start getting really gritty. Usually, since I'm in there anyway, I'll pull the hub bearings and make sure they're not blown out or gritty.
I can see my work load getting easyer and easyer, some good points there..

But sometimess i find a loose bolt or a cvd pin comming loose. and to aviod a DNF.
Plus i really hate fixen gear at the track, like a diff rebuild, now i got spare diff one comes out one goes in.
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV View Post
Plus i really hate fixen gear at the track, like a diff rebuild, now i got spare diff one comes out one goes in.
Spare diffs are great, it can save a lot of hassle if something goes awry during a race day. As for being proactive and finding problems, I try to visually inspect my car after each race to make sure everything is in working order. I can't think of a DNF I've had that could have been prevented by spending hours tearing down the car and inspecting every tiny little thing.

That said, before a big race, I personally would tear down the car and make sure there's no demons lurking. But for club racing, it's just a lot of damn work. I think if you're familiar with your car, you will know where the potential problem areas are, and know how to check them without a complete tear down.

Also, with bearings, I order them in bulk on the cheap. Walawala store has great prices on cheap bearings, so I usually just pitch them if they don't go smooth after a shot in the bearing blaster. I've also been using ABEC 3 lately, and they seem a LOT more tolerant to carpet fibers than the more expensive ABEC 5. Your mileage may vary, of course. I only use ceramics on my layshaft, the hub bearings seem to take too much abuse, as do the pulley bearings.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I do tend to "nut and bolt" the car. I go through with a wrench and make sure stuff is tight, like the CVD pins, the bottom screws going into the bulk head, the king pin screws, etc. Stuff that typically works it's way loose or falls off the car. I try not to wait until I DNF to fix something...but I don't do tear downs week to week...

I found when I started that tearing down the car really wasn't making me faster, I was just putting more wear and tear on my hardware.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

I found when I started that tearing down the car really wasn't making me faster, I was just putting more wear and tear on my hardware.[/QUOTE]

Can't agree more.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROV View Post
yes thats understandable you must be running a hb cyclone.
pti goliath crawler... (always being modified)
hpi baja 5b ss 29.5 cc setting up 4 1/4 scale speedway
acko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

After a club race I check and make shure nothings broken or binding etc. make shure diffs are still in good shape and not gritty and if they are I will rebuild them. Spare Diffs are great for the track so you dont have to spend the time to rebuild them at the track. But I always check over my motors and cut comm, new brushes in if they need them so my cars will have good power for the next race.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
Tech Elite

When I first got back into RC with touring cars I used to strip the car down pretty regularly, but the thing is I found that when I put it back together again it wasn't always the same as it had been at the end of the last race meeting. Sometimes made it worse!

So now, for consistency, I tend to leave the car basically alone (apart from a quick clean and visual once-over) if it ran well at the previous race meeting. If something seemed a bit off then I rebuild. Normally that means a full check of drivetrain, chassis and suspension.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote