R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

even without modifycation any receiver should work on any frequecny it's just a mater on the crystals if they are bigger/smaller different pin alighnment take you pick i would beleive that is your only limiting factor by tuned i meant the crystal or range of frequency's that it can pick up.

like a car radio i know they are different but tehy can receive on fm 80 mhz to 110 mhz thats a load of frquencies between the range
khubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:41 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think it's a little more than that or people would be doing it all the time. But if you or anyone has experience let me know.
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

If so then how come rc plane receivers only work on 36MHz band?
AussieSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

the receiving airial has a defined frequency range to which it is sensetive anything outside this range does not work.

marine/cb radios have a coil inside the antena the higher the frequency the more of that coil you use it's something to do with the amplitude of the wave
khubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I think I understand what he's saying but receivers are hard wired to be sensitive to a particular frequency ranges. Like 75mhz receivers only work any frequency between 75.000 and 75.999 or whatever If you put a 72.whatever crystal in it, it won't work. The receiver is only programed to work on the 75mhz band. It's like your car radio, you can't pick up CB channels on your AM/FM receiver because it's not programed to expand out that far.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What we always did in drag racing is take a novak xxl, take off the plastic case, then shrink wrap with clear battery single cell wrap. Take a xacto and trim out a spot for servo lead plug in. That is your lightest option.

Want to take it to the next level. Take the plastic off the servo lead plug. Shrink wrap the metal female pin outside to insulate from shorting.

Next level. Take all your aluminum screws to the lathe. Any of the cap heads can be turned down. All screws can be drilled through the center (end to end) to hollow them.

I have done all these things and they work. But remember all these things wont make a difference if your car does not run A to B.
In the end a heavier car stays down the center of the track and will be more reliable getting A to B...... ex IEDA national champ/ low et and mph record holder
mnracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Just to correct an earlier post, the Spektrum SR3500 micro reciever weighs 5.1 grams.

Most (RC car) recievers weigh in the 11-15 gram range, with the xxl being about 13g without crystal.

The Futaba 2.4Ghz reciever (R603FS for the 3PKS) for the Fasst system weighs 13.7g, and they do not make a smaller version.

It might be difficult to find a reciever that weighs a full 4oz (113g), but under that should be easy
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Maybe it was just my bad luck, I have a few older receivers that are small in size, but weigh in at 4oz. I probably need a newer receiver I just didn't know what to look for because everyone puts the size on the advertisement but not the weight.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by khubner View Post
the receiving airial has a defined frequency range to which it is sensetive anything outside this range does not work.

marine/cb radios have a coil inside the antena the higher the frequency the more of that coil you use it's something to do with the amplitude of the wave
Then as you point out here you would have to modify a reciever to work on a different band by changing the length of the ariel. Then there's the whole AM and FM thing so maybe better stated as any AM reciever or any FM reciever. I'm not sure about AM but on FM the signal works on a shift as well. Some brands use a positive shift while others a negative which also makes certain brands not work with others.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #25
Tech Master

I use the spectrum micro recievers. They are extremely small and very nice.
samstheman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Just to correct an earlier post, the Spektrum SR3500 micro reciever weighs 5.1 grams.
DOH!!

I thought my scale was set on grams so I read the 16 as 16g. Nope...it was .16oz.

Just re-weighed my 3500 and get 4.9g.

Thanks for the correction Michael. Hey--is any wire left? My buds from ND are needing some.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #27
Tech Champion

for you REAL gram-conscious players... http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Planes/Shark/Shark-1.html

This is a web page on the micro-flyers site my dad just sent me this afternoon. It is a 2-channel flyable RC plane with an all-up weight of, get this, .695g. That's right...barely over 2/3g.

The receiver is 27mhz and has been modified to the point it weighs only 60mg (.060g). Wow.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
DOH!!

I thought my scale was set on grams so I read the 16 as 16g. Nope...it was .16oz.

Just re-weighed my 3500 and get 4.9g.

Thanks for the correction Michael. Hey--is any wire left? My buds from ND are needing some.

Scottrik
Hey! how is your SR3500 lighter than mine You must have gotten one of them top secret lightweight jobs With that .2 grams yer gonna blow by me on the straight now. Damn!

Just re-stocked the wire, we have purple now too (what else!) I'll PM you about that and some other new stuff
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
for you REAL gram-conscious players... http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Planes/Shark/Shark-1.html

This is a web page on the micro-flyers site my dad just sent me this afternoon. It is a 2-channel flyable RC plane with an all-up weight of, get this, .695g. That's right...barely over 2/3g.

The receiver is 27mhz and has been modified to the point it weighs only 60mg (.060g). Wow.
WOW ...that thing is tiny!!!
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Hey! how is your SR3500 lighter than mine You must have gotten one of them top secret lightweight jobs With that .2 grams yer gonna blow by me on the straight now. Damn!

Just re-stocked the wire, we have purple now too (what else!) I'll PM you about that and some other new stuff
I think it has to do with the altitude here making my scale further from the earth's core so gravity has less effect. In Denver they probably weigh 4.7g and incrementally less at ever higher altitudes. The sherpas racing at the top of Everest probably see them somewhere near 2g and the NASA 1/12 club on the International Space Station have recorded them at 0.0g. I've got a line on a set of the experimental Velcro tires the Russian team were using...

Great to hear about the wire. Randy or Tyler Lynn will be getting ahold of you. Is the new stuff like the sample or production?