R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There are other free CAD softwares or free trials available as well..

Google had a sketch/CAD application at one point..there is also Rhino...

Keycreator (formerly Cadkey) has also, in the past, made available Demo versions...

There are options out there...you just need to do a little searching...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator

Having taken engineering courses in college, Id have to say that Solidworks is the best program to use for designing. It has a feature that allows you to bring in a 2D drawings for CAD so they can be extruded and actually put together.
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been playing round with Solidworks lately. It's very good and very easy to use. The tutorials help a lot.

I broke a rear pod on my 12th scale and used solidworks to design a new pod that would be stronger at the point where it broke. I've thought about trying to find someone willing to cut it but I'm not 100% sure my measurements are completely accurate.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalnator View Post
Having taken engineering courses in college, Id have to say that Solidworks is the best program to use for designing. It has a feature that allows you to bring in a 2D drawings for CAD so they can be extruded and actually put together.
All current 3D CAD softwares that I'm aware of will allow you to extrude 2D elements to create a solid...

Solidworks is definitely gaining market share in large chunks, but there are still many camps who have preferences for various softwares.

There are a multitude of CAD softwares currently in use...each of them will have areas of strength and weakness...it's up to the operators to understand this and be familiar enough with the chosen software to work within its limitations to get the desired results.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at school we use a program called techsoft 2d design... but its crap! i only use it because its all there is. but thankfully we have a laser cutter. so i can make stuff out of polycarbonate.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalnator View Post
it all depends on the application and budget... solidworks is good for parts and small assemblies, and it's cheap and easy to get support for.

i use pro engineer at work. way more expensive, a bit harder to use, but has fully integrated data management and handles large assemblies (thousands of parts) very nicely.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
it all depends on the application and budget... solidworks is good for parts and small assemblies, and it's cheap and easy to get support for.

i use pro engineer at work. way more expensive, a bit harder to use, but has fully integrated data management and handles large assemblies (thousands of parts) very nicely.
I know of several companies designing huge automated assembly lines on Solidworks...

You need to go to pretty extreme sizes before you start to see limitations in most of the higher end design softwares..
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I know of several companies designing huge automated assembly lines on Solidworks...

You need to go to pretty extreme sizes before you start to see limitations in most of the higher end design softwares..
i'm looking at the drawing tree for one of our trains, it's got 256 major sub-assemblies and most of those have minor sub-assemblies under them. they're all assembled to a layout driven skeleton using coordinates. the whole vehicle is too large of a file to fully open at any one time without using simplified representations.

is that huge enough?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another cheap program to do CAD is datacad LT it's like $199 but I was looking at Cadalyst http://www.cadalyst.com/ in the can the other day and they had a round up of FREE cad software including 3D stuff. you might want to pop over to their website and do a quick search. the ones listed were free free and still pretty good for limited drawing.

oh btw check this out I saw it in the mag and had to look at it. look at the assembly they are using

http://management.cadalyst.com/cadma...ategoryId=8807
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
Tech Addict

here's a free download for a 2d cad program. http://www.emachineshop.com/download/index.htm

and you can get your parts fabricated by them. i've heard decent things about their work. a friend of mine had some fuel injector rails made through them and his car didn't blow up
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 AM   #26
Tech Adept

How has noone mentioned Autodesk Inventor? Its simular in many way to Solidworks, but (in the UK at least) is the most popular system to use and comes with AutoCAD and all the other Autodesk products that are relevant bundled with it.
forum fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WINGMAN wants to design some 12th scale chassis. IS CAD REALLY NEEDED??

I think he needs: Pencil,paper,ruler and maybe some tracing paper
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

I use Rhino and AC. Fun stuff.
Zken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Ashlar Vellum makes some fantastic software, http://www.ashlar.com/
TeamPRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #30
Tech Master

WOW, thanks for the many answers!! As I said at the begining, I have a couple of ideas for a 12th car that include chassis and rear pod designs so would like to 'have a go' with some of the software mentioned in this thread. I'll have a look around the web and see what's what, but thanks for the heads up on what the software is called. Cheers, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote