R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2001, 04:21 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default HPI Forum/UK racers

There seems to be a lot of familiar faces around here - did lots of people switch over when the HPI forum went off-line not so long ago?

There seems to be plenty of smart thinking on here.

And are there many UK racers on the boards? I'm looking for another UK-ish place to post, as rcracenews.co.uk is rubbish.

If there are, perhaps we should ask for a UK forum, to go with the asian and canadian ones?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:44 PM   #2
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Welcome! There is much more life here than in the HPI forum...... I got bored of answering the same questions 100 times there so I've given up there! There is a few sprinkling of racers from the UK on RCtech also!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 03:25 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I'm not from UK. But I'd like to make a comment on this 'HPI forum'.

Pro3 is the most expensive tc.
rcethilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:59 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Well it's not really an HPI Forum, but I disagree that the Pro3 is the most expensive car

You can buy the kit pretty cheaply now - certainly less that a xxx-s, x-ray, corally etc. in the UK
Old 12-12-2001, 06:22 AM   #5
Tech Master

Interesting chat about prices.

The Pro 3 just isn't in the same league as the XXXS for performance and the Corally for equipment.

The XXXS has proved itself, just as the Corally has.

In terms of price the Pro 3,s competitors are the Schumachers, Yoke MR4 Custom and TC3 Racer, and I know which one I wouldn't have.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:27 AM   #6
dtm
Tech Champion

Well the Pro3 does have a market... for those people who like to upgrade their cars so only 1% remains original! Just look at the latest V-Spec.... HPI have started to set you on your way!!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:26 AM   #7
Tech Adept

It does have a market.

To those who think the pro3 is not expensive, here is my challenge:

Even the V-spec does not come with a graphite upper deck. The concept of a down-the-middle battery is great but that is all. What are other bonus in a pro3?

Lets face it. Out of the box it is not up to par with any of the other rival tc's these days.

But if you're determined to spend money on hopups and upgrades, then that's a different story. Even then the final version is not known to be better than other tc's. Its looks might be more exotic and interesting after some HB, Cross, Square bits and pieces.

Hara's car looks great. Mind you. If you're honest with yourself you know in your guts it's not a pro3. It may be a good car but its identity is not an HPI.

I don't go with HPI's saying that Hara endorsed several other companies' products and that he is only doing some experimenting with various new stuff........You reckon he'll go back to the original non-graphite bottom chassis? LOL
Old 12-12-2001, 09:19 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Default oops...

Looks like I've started another diss HPI thread by mistake.

Here's my views on the whole Pro3 saga, from someone who's actually run one.

1. "It needs hundreds of dollars/pounds spent on it to make it competitive" - granted, the works cars look nothing like the kits, but you don't need aluminium shocks - the plastic ones are very good, you also don't need all these purple mounts, and carbon lower decks - they're just visual.

What you do need is an upperdeck - which only cost 15-20 pounds/dollars, plus the usual array of spurs, pinions springs etc.

And I've seen people run the car without an upper deck, and still compete.

2. "The build quality is rubbish, it's all plastic" - granted, there's a little too much play in some components for some peoples liking, and the front end hub carrier mouldings are bad - but you can fix the problem if you go out and buy a fine shim kit, and use some thick superglue (a bit of a bodge I know) - and it's not something in my opinion that makes a huge difference to the performance of the car - as most of it is PLAY not SLOP.

And many of the plastic component work as well as anything else - the shocks, the diffs, the shock mounts don't bend.

3. "HPI don't care about the racers, they want to sell to the bashers now" - possibly true, but the only part that isn't widely available in the US and Europe that should be is an aluminium spur gear adaptor - and the replacement policy for the dodgy wishbones and outdrives (that's what they did in the UK anyway) was a good thing which solved those problems.

4. "You just can't get the car to handle" - Totally disagree. Every club racer I've spoken to has been really pleased with the handling. I've raced it on carpet and slippy floors, and found the performance through the turns outstanding - on the carpet, I could carry so much more speed into the corners than many other competitors cars that it made passing a doddle - and I'm only an average driver.

Too much of the Pro3's bad press comes from too many drivers belief that a car can't be quick unless it looks pretty, with carbon fibre and aluminium, and the second belief that "the fastest guy at the track wins with a TC3/xxx-s, so that must be the car to get". Did you notice that the fastest guy at the track also won with a street weapon, Yokomo, schumacher?

So there you go.

Suffice to say though, I won't be replacing my Pro 3 with another HPI unless they sort out the availability of aftermarket parts - but i do worry that whatever I replace it with won't be as quick.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

On the HARA thing-

Yokomo bought up as many drivers as they could just to win the worlds and a week after the race took place their contracts ended. Hara,who was already sponcered by hotbodies and other companies who where going to release hop-ups for the pro3.(which hadn't been released yet) took the Yok sponcership and the worlds. Then HPI released the Pro3 and for some reason wanted to prove it could be more than a club racer, (like the pro2) basically just gave Hara enough to run the car.

NOTICE- Hara has not been pictured in any HPI advertisement. so what little he got from HPI was just enough to tie the package in a nice little bow....

Will HARA win another worlds??- Not unless Yokomo buys him up agian....

Should Hara keep his car "stock"--- No other pro level racer does...NOONE runs the stock composite chassis at that level!!!! NOT ASSOCIATED,YOKOMO,LOSI.....SCHUIE doesn't make their drivers run the S1 version of their car!!! WHY SHOULD HARA??????????

NOW quit complaining and enjoy talking about your PRO3's..you chose them... I'll just motor behind with my 04-R...until I pass you!!!! LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:59 AM   #10
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Well the Pro3 does have a market... for those people who like to upgrade their cars so only 1% remains original! Just look at the latest V-Spec.... HPI have started to set you on your way!!
I also HAD a Pro3... in fact one of the first batch of S-Spec from Japan. After upgrading to almost the American spec I gave up. I knew the car was in need of a serious amount of upgrades to stop all those wobbly parts!

I agree the car is very easy to get 80% right. This is what often fools the average racer because getting to 80% is so easy! The remaining 20%, however, is like climbing Mount Everest!

I'm sure the V-spec will not be the end of the story. In fact there is a 'Hong Kong' spec from the distributers and that has a fair few options also, including HB stuff.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:17 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

at the moment everyone is comlaining about their pro3..... "its the flex thats the problem!"
well the flex could be a problem if you are running on high grip carpet...or any high grip surface...they complain that the ammount of grip that the car produces slows it down.....true!
but where i race (out door asphalt) we have very low grip....and with the pro3 is perfect for this situation... we use the pro3's chasis flex to our advantage...!
the handling is excelent....better than any other tc that i have driven!..but this is on low grip tracks (parking lot type).....
i used to race my yok mr4 sp in mod.... with poor results every meeting...it was hard to get the setup perfect.....and when i did..it was never consistant (i used to go back home after the track thinking that the car was perfect for racing the next day......come next day and the car handeld badly...)...now with the pro3 its a different story...it handled great when i first got it...and handles great now...even at extreme tempreture change...
it seem's like the people complaining about the car are non pro3 owners...how would they know if they dont own the car or atleast tried it out....
anyway i think the pro3 is a good car....and i get better results with it!...thats what counts for me...aslong as im happy with it...i shouldnt mind what othert people think!
btw. look at the pro2.... was'nt it one of the best tc's of its time....i dont think hpi would let the pro3 stay like this.....wait and see.....hpi doesnt design one of the best r/c cars for nothing!

Last edited by mr4-malta; 12-12-2001 at 10:40 AM.
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:29 PM   #12
Tech Elite

IMPACTPLYER - I think you'll find Hara HAS been pictured in HPI ad's.

I'm looking at one where the Pro3 is clothed in a Mondeo shell, and there's quotes from Pro3 owners, and there's Atsushi, grinning out of the corner. This is in Racer (UK mag), but I'm sure it's been in others.

And he's all over the website.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:42 PM   #13
Tech Adept

I don't know what 'spec' that was.

Imagine a car with a spur hub that is plastic, camber links and toe in/out links that are plastic, outdrives that are plastic....... what happens to the customers who got this batch of pro3's?

For those faithful HPI fans, the fix is easy. Just go hunting for some aftermarket upgrades. Who reckons HPI's technology could not use better material when the first batch of pro3 came out? This is simply an example of ripoff at its very best. LOL

Pro3 is not expensive or what.

Car performance is difficult to argue. You can say any car going in and out of corners so quickly and you can not achieve the same result with some other cars otherwise. This can go on and on. Nobody knows what your driving is like ultimately. You can talk about it but that is it.

When someone can make a statement like: hpi doesnt design one of the best r/c cars for nothing! You know very well in the future this person's statements would have to be taken with a grain of salt. Only a brainwashed person can make a statement as subjective as that. LOL
Old 12-12-2001, 08:58 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry I just got my issue of RCCA and didn't see the HPI add, well he is on there.... BUT what about one of the past drivers from the PRO2 era...Bill Martinez..was he ever pictured...uhh no..if he had one a major race with his pro2 would he have been...uhh bet you assets on it!! Built one of the best tourers ever... don't think so I can only imagine you are speaking of the pro2. You would think if you copied someone elses design you could at least have a car that ran close to it!!! BUT I guess you also though HPI produced the origional 2 belt tourer...HEHEHE! As always if you have 10 different people they will almost always have 10 different experiences...all I can say is I know of about 10-15 different guys that bought into the PRO3 hype when it was first introduced and now there are 10-15 cars looking for new homes...and they can't pay people to take them!!!! BTW most of the local tracks are asphalt.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 05:47 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Look there's no point getting into an argument about what was the original 2-belt tourer.

The HPI, and all the other two-belt tourers with a rear motor, and high layshaft, are copying the transmission design of the Kyosho Lazer ZX buggy.

That came out in about 1989.