R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default TC4 Diff Help

I am having a problem with my TC4's rear diff. i had it locked at one point because i was drifting with my car but when i rebuild it, it is slipping. i dont have any diff lube so could that be the problem?

i was going to try the sanding trick that i read on this site http://www.teamirsrc.com/techtips.html

will that work? help needed fast
RoseTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101

I have a TC3, so you came to the right place.Diff lube is NOT the problem, although it will allow the diff & the whole drivetrain to spin more freely.
I'm guessing its the diff nut, part #3904. Be sure to place it all the way in the outdrive or else the nut won't fit in the hex. You should also consider diff lube, it's very helpful to have two tubes. Hope that helps!
Good luck!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont have a TC3 or 4 but a Pro4. The way I solved my diff slipping problem was to use the screw set from the Hot Bodies Cyclone. With a little bit of blue threadlock, my diff rebuilds are few and far in between.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

I ran those diffs for years.
It's probably the spring. It was squished (when locked down) and now has no "spring." I replaced mine regularly--and that was with normal tension/use. Other than that, assemble per AE instructions--right down to the lube. If the rings become severely worn, replace.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

iits not that the screw is loose at all. i can tighten it and it will be tight period but when i lossen it alittle bit i hold the shaft and i can still spin both back tires at the same time.

let me refrase this. when i hold the spur i grab both back wheels and turn them the same direction as you drive and they spin but when i do that to the front it doesnt move.

im wondering. what if i take the diff from the front and put it in the rear and then put a front one way in the front. is a front one way good for racing tight tracks?

Last edited by RoseTuned; 10-04-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................It must have some part that's dead or too tight.

Rebuild the diff. Tighten the screw all the way & back it off 1/4 of a turn. Run the car like you would normally for one pack & check the diff. If it seems looser than it was, tighten it down all the way & back it off 1/4 of a turn, or to your desired setting.
Hope this helps MORE.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

well what about what i said. putting a front one way on that i have and puttign the front diff in the rear. would that hurt the car and can i still go reverse with a front one way?

and since your helping me im runnign the stock 72 spur 48p using a 22 pinion. is that too much for the car. im running a 10x2 peak racing motor. how can i get more speed out of this. its fast now but can i get it faster without harming the car itself. do you know a good setup for the car.

the manual sais 21 pinion on stock spur but im running 22.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

anyone?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

No, you can't run a "one-way" in reverse.
The spring may not sound like it makes a difference, but it does.
Make sure you have ALL the parts required.
Make sure you've relieved mat. around the center of the diff/ring gear
(as per the kit instructions).
Tight is tight. If the diff locks down, the screw and nut are fine.
Forward lock (assuming you've got all parts in there--assembled correctly)
has everything to do with the right grease (it must be DIFF lube) and good spring. Silicone grease, Black grease, etc. will not work on the main balls.
AE makes STEALTH diff grease (clear) and SILICONE grease (also clear). Don't get these mixed up. One tube's writing is in black (stealth) and one is in red (silicone).
Just methodically work your way through the instructions--following everything EXACTLY. I bet you find the answer.
I ran for AE for several years--and ran the car for a few years prior, as well. Those diffs are very dependable.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

well this is what i did. instead of fixing it i put the diff from the front into the rear and then i installed my front one way. it made a huge difference and i like it. my car doesnt reverse anyways i was just wondering about that.