R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore View Post
HOW ABOUT SOFTER WALLS... LIKE NASCAR?
Matt, Todd is looking out for us............that is when he puts US in the wall.

Chad O

Staggered F/X body painting
Stagger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger2 View Post
Matt, Todd is looking out for us............that is when he puts US in the wall.

Chad O
No... Chad! You've got it all wrong... It's all about safety, and creash survive-ability...

I was think about requiring the "Hans device" for all drivers.............. but then, that would be just plain silly - wouldn't it?
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Pre liquid masked bodies. Then you could just cut out a design and paint it. I think that would be cool.
Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing in here with that perfectly good idea? Can't you see all the nonsense going on in here? DAMN!

But seriously, that's F'n genius right there!
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I wouldnt say "non-sense" for some, just impratical. But, at least people are thinking. As long as it generates thought, people arent becoming complacent. Mission accomplished.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Even higher capacity cells, 4500s are common now, where will it stop???

Soon we will need the national grid just for r/c racing to charge them

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 AM   #51
Tech Champion

ESC's are probably not going to get much better, the on resistance of the top of the range units we have now are just crazy as you get more resistance from the solder going to the wires.

Electronic disc brakes with carbon in them???? Who knows. I dont think there is much out there now that hasnt been seen already.

If its anything electronic, expect to see it in Japan first I would have thought.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to scrubnick

Kyosho ( I believe) had a gyro-type device for rc cars a long time ago. It could provide steering corrections while driving. I think Car Action did a review of it a long time ago. Of course, such items are strictly prohibited from racing, so it never took off.
scrubnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #53
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubnick View Post
Kyosho ( I believe) had a gyro-type device for rc cars a long time ago. It could provide steering corrections while driving. I think Car Action did a review of it a long time ago. Of course, such items are strictly prohibited from racing, so it never took off.
I thought that to be true. How dare they come up with something that assists drivers, making things easier

Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #54
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
I would envision improved telemetry requiring some sort of assistance from the shop/track to make it really beneficial. Consider a 4-5 (4 for X/Y and 1 for Z positioning) antenna spread working like GPS satellites and a small data logger recording inputs from the radio and an on board gyro.

Add a small transmitter/receiver system, and you'd have positioning at .5 second or better intervals. In theory, you would be able to record and play back an entire race based on recorded data and see what parts of the track you could be running faster on.

Without the antenna spread but including the on board telemetry and gyro data, you would be able to produce a log of the inputs, but without some sort of track position it would be a bit of guesswork to determine where you really were.

But man, it would be cool!

Perhaps the next great improvement will be in dampers. Fluid filled with big bore shafts and a needle valve body/pressurized reservoir to adjust the damper rate rather than dumping out globs of silicone oil on the coffee table. Adjustability from 20w to 70w oil in 5w increments along with 10 or more 'piston' adjustments please.

Chris

The telemetry and data logging already exist and have for years....

www.eagletreesystems.com
www.nomadio.net
Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #55
Tech Adept

How about active ground effects/wing control like the Bugatti Veyron and some 911's have. Low drag down the straights but loads of wind assisted braking and downforce for the corners. Some slot cars had flexible winged bodies which put loads of downforce on the cars to the point where they could run upside down.

Tracks could run a magnetic rail gun/gauss gun arrangement under the track straights that could provide an external power launch to cars much like a steam catapult does to planes on an aircraft carrier. Drivers would get say 5 boosts in a race that they could use.... Or access to an overvoltage function, where an additional AAA sized cell could be used until depleated. It would make for more strategic racing...

As the battery power goes up, so do motor temps, so better cooling systems are going to be a big thing. TCS is already leading a novel approach to this charge. www.tcscooling.com LN2 systems to follow I'm sure
Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
How about active ground effects/wing control like the Bugatti Veyron and some 911's have. Low drag down the straights but loads of wind assisted braking and downforce for the corners. Some slot cars had flexible winged bodies which put loads of downforce on the cars to the point where they could run upside down.

Tracks could run a magnetic rail gun/gauss gun arrangement under the track straights that could provide an external power launch to cars much like a steam catapult does to planes on an aircraft carrier. Drivers would get say 5 boosts in a race that they could use.... Or access to an overvoltage function, where an additional AAA sized cell could be used until depleated. It would make for more strategic racing...

As the battery power goes up, so do motor temps, so better cooling systems are going to be a big thing. TCS is already leading a novel approach to this charge. www.tcscooling.com LN2 systems to follow I'm sure
I mentioned that in a previous post..unfortunately, ROAR shot that down so fast. Many racers aint for it either. I know of several folks that own the cooling system and they say there is a significant difference in temps with the system.