R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tire and Insert Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1836-tire-insert-thread.html)

ZER01 12-08-2001 07:45 PM

Tire and Insert Thread

Why not have a thread dedicated to tires since they are one of the most important adjustments to make.

Has anyone had any good luck running the cs take-off's on parking lot?

Trips 12-08-2001 08:27 PM

I used the Takeoff CS series for most of last summer and fall. GREAT GREAT tires. CS22's worked very well in the cool temperatures of the evenings, and one main run on a damp track the CS22's were about the only tire to hook up at all.

Also used the 32's and 27's when it was warmer. I really liked them too. I always ran them on Ofna or Sorex rims with the medium insert.

Trips

Corse-R 12-08-2001 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Trips
CS22's worked very well in the cool temperatures of the evenings, and one main run on a damp track the CS22's were about the only tire to hook up at all.
I tested them with different success, I've tested CS22 and CS27's and being accustomed to the almost inexistant sidewall flex of the ProLines 1095 the TakeOff gave me an uncomfortable sensation.

There have too much sidewall and when you're hard cornering, lack of grip. Maybe with more time to test and modify the car setup would be ok, but my results with them were so disgusting.

My choose goes for a set of 1095 in S3 or H13 compounds and for inserts the blue foam that comes for the H13 compound or some Yokomo ZR-037 Soft or Medium for the S3 compound. That's the two compounds I've used all the season.

minicooper 12-09-2001 12:27 AM

I'll be using some CS-22's later today. I will be running them on a concrete parking lot. I'll let you know later

ZER01 12-09-2001 12:41 PM

Cool, Trips your experience with them sounds good. Coarse-R, your experience with them also helps. I've been running Sorex all this past summer and have had good results with them. The only experience I've had with the cs take-off's is that in the last regional ROAR race I attended(onroad region 6), the 1st and 2nd place winners of the A-main in both stock and mod used them. They were using the 22's with the blue echo inserts on an outside permenant track with VHT sprayed on heavy. The outside temp was around 75-80 degrees. Hope this helps.

PS- SirSpeedy, Speedo or Trips, If its possible, could one of you change the thread name to Tire and Insert Thread on the Electric On-Road page. To me, inserts are just as important as tires are when select tires/inserts for a certain track. Thanks for an awesome r/c forum-Proudwinner.

Trips 12-09-2001 01:35 PM

Originally posted by proudwinner
could one of you change the thread name to Tire and Insert Thread on the Electric On-Road page. To me, inserts are just as important as tires are when select tires/inserts for a certain track. Thanks for an awesome r/c forum-Proudwinner.
Done.

Trips

ZER01 12-09-2001 01:40 PM

Thanks Trips:)

BHenderson 12-09-2001 01:50 PM

tire and insert selection

I prefer to use tires and inserts that will make my car run like a scalded dog. So far, I have found that the sorex 36r's in our hot track conditions this seems to work the best.

Just remember that 2nd place is the first loser.

ZER01 12-09-2001 01:56 PM

Anyone know which insert on the market is the thinnest? I've been using HPI's red's and green's with sorexes and that combo has worked great for me. I did try sorex's med. type-B but that insert did'nt work well with sorex on parking lot. I beleive its because the sorex type-B insert is a little thicker than the HPI's. I've found that medium inserts work great if you have a gap between the tire and insert on parking lot.

PS- Anyone know how thin the cs take-off inserts are compared to hpi's?

Type S 12-09-2001 02:16 PM

takeoff cs-27 on hpi 26mm 5 spoke wheels with the included inserts. with the tires on these wheels there is a verry small sidewall (about 2mm or less) it is barelly noticeable.

next outdoor season ill get some sorex's to see how they run. but i still have alot of rubber left on the takeoffs (after 3 full racedays) you have to clean them after every round and rotate them so they last.

daniz24 12-09-2001 09:09 PM

Sorex 32R/36R with Yokomo firm inserts works great for me :D :D :D

MissX 12-10-2001 02:50 AM

I use HPI 27R or 33R tires.

For insert, I make my own from mouse pad. Go find a 5-6mm foam mouse pad, you can buy easily from computer shops. Sometimes there are soft, firm or hard mouse pad selections.

Cut them into strips size 22mm wide and 17cm length. Make sure you cut with sharp knife cutter at 45 degree angle. It will take sometime before you can cut nicely. Tips: Don't cut all at once, but it's better to cut three times in a row in light pressure. Glue them with yellow glue don't use CA as it will harden. Wait until the glue settled and slide into the tire.

One mouse pad can be cut into 14 strips of inserts. That's 3 sets of tire with 2 spares!. The good thing is one mouse pad costs less than a dollar in here. Now I don't have to care about tearing my tire and get the inserts.

This foam mouse pad insert is very light, all combine with a tire and a rim weight 26 grams compare to a normal rubber insert + tire= 32 grams.
If you have any questions PM me.

MikeR 12-10-2001 02:30 PM

Anyone know which insert on the market is the thinnest? I've been using HPI's red's and green's with sorexes and that combo has worked great for me. I did try sorex's med. type-B but that insert did'nt work well with sorex on parking lot. I beleive its because the sorex type-B insert is a little thicker than the HPI's. I've found that medium inserts work great if you have a gap between the tire and insert on parking lot.

PS- Anyone know how thin the cs take-off inserts are compared to hpi's?

The take-Off inserts are now rounded on top so they are thicker. They are still pretty soft though even though they rate them as a medium. They're much softer than the red echo's and pretty similar in softness to HPI reds.
http://www.powers-international.com/...ex-english.htm has a list of their inserts.

Trips 12-10-2001 02:34 PM

Anyone know which insert on the market is the thinnest?
I don't think I've ever seen an insert thinner than the Jaco.

Trips

ZER01 12-10-2001 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, That mouse pad trick is neat, Thats the idea of what this hobby is about. Trips, Thats what I was looking for, I'll check into that. Inbetween post I found out two things regarding super-thin inserts. Team trinity's insert is really thin, but their 24mm inserts looks like a 22.5mm insert. I heard on a forum somewhere, maybe here-can't really remember, you can cut an insert and trim it 2-5mm, glue it back and the insert is now somewhat thinner plus its fitting more snug to the wheel. Now if I can just get my hands on some Jaco's.

Mike-R, Thanks for the link, I've been there before but forgot to save it into my favorites and have been looking for it ever since. Those SS Worlds Special take off's look nice, they cost a little more than the CS's but I like em.