Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Skill
What exactly is the advantage of having the delrin outdrives? I know they look nice, but are they any lighter? I know they'll be stronger, but has anyone actually toasted a stock outdrive?
When I had my Pro3... I weight the stock graphite one and the HB delrin diff.. the delrin diff was slightly heavier.. probably due to the aluminum half on one side. Seemed like the Delrin diff ran smoother.

I see the Pro4 delrin diff to be all delrin and no aluminum half at all... this should make for a very light, strong and smooth diff.

I have a friend visiting the UK next week.... I've got 3 on hold ready for pick-up at Apex....
Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, I had the HB diff on my Pro 3 too..but that was to solve the issue with the outdrives as they were slightly longer than the stock ones.

If they are lighter then that is good, I can't really see how they can make the diff smoother as none of the actual delrin touches the balls etc.

Before I get some I'd like to see what they actually look like and what you get, I wonder if the diff is built slightly different?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Yea, I had the HB diff on my Pro 3 too..but that was to solve the issue with the outdrives as they were slightly longer than the stock ones.

If they are lighter then that is good, I can't really see how they can make the diff smoother as none of the actual delrin touches the balls etc.

Before I get some I'd like to see what they actually look like and what you get, I wonder if the diff is built slightly different?
Most like will look similar to the Pro3 delrin diff with the purple retainer rings..without the aluminum parts..

or it may look something like this from Atlas:

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...39104424521.33

or this one made by Excel for the SD:

http://www.powers-international.com/...xcel/ey001.htm
Old 07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Delrin outdrives usually spin truer than composite drives. i dont think hes talking about the actual differential action but it might have a small contribution to that i dont know..
Old 07-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Diff issue revisited

Originally posted by Rotary Racer

I've just done this and it feels great! Gonna road test it soon.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Is there a reason why we can't use the AE outdrives???
Old 07-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by sponger
Is there a reason why we can't use the AE outdrives???
Yeah HPI uses Metric bearings and the TC3 uses Standard bearings. So you would need a bearing thats metric on the outside dia. and standard on the inside dia. Im sure they are out there but where to find them?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Delrin is a metal replacement. Hence it maintains the strength and wear resistance as good or better than metal at a fraction of the weight.

http://heritage.dupont.com/floater/f.../floater.shtml

Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Diff issue revisited

Originally posted by Pit-racer
I've just done this and it feels great! Gonna road test it soon.
SWEET!! Yep when I did that I did one full race day, did not slip. Then I did some thrashing in front of my house to test my new motor and speed control, still did not slip. I will be doing another full race day tomorrow so I will let you all know how it goes.

I am going to head to the hardware store and try a couple of other things on Sunday. I will let you all know my findings and hopefully when my new Derlin outdrives arrive from the UK I will do a write up w/pictures on how to do the modification . Rock on!!

- Dana
Old 07-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default GPM

Has anyone used the aluminum GPM front or rear knuckles on the pro 4? They say on the listing that they fit most rs4 cars including the pro 4. When i compared them to the stock knuckles they look slightly different. Hard to tell from pics. Will they still work? Does anyone know?
I will try to post some pics of the gpm's.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default GPM

GPM pic
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-sn4021.jpg  
Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

GPM pic
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-nrs3022.jpg  
Old 07-16-2004, 11:50 PM

Default drive shaft

hi boy and girls , i just got my 2nd pro4 . when building my car i find that i did not have MIP but had dog bone's eek: , has any one had the same thing but we are getting MIP .
Other thing's different are the shock tower's.

IRS
MY TOYS racing
HPI PRO4
YOKOMO drift car
NOVAK
Old 07-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: GPM

Originally posted by infrontracing
Has anyone used the aluminum GPM front or rear knuckles on the pro 4? They say on the listing that they fit most rs4 cars including the pro 4. When i compared them to the stock knuckles they look slightly different. Hard to tell from pics. Will they still work? Does anyone know?
I will try to post some pics of the gpm's.
sorry to say that those are for the old hpi cars. the new knuckles on the pro4 are completely different.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Don't buy GPM products .... you'll regret it later on... they use a very weak alloy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.