Like Tree10Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Reply

Old 06-24-2004, 09:12 AM
  #5746  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,212
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Skill
I've ordered some alloy steering knuckles and C-hubs from AsiaTees purely for durability purposes. They are Jet ones so hopefully they will hold up well as they look much stronger than the Square ones.

I'll let everyone know if I have any problems.
The jet ones should be more durable...has more metal where the screw goes into... I'd order some as well...but I'm broke...
rc-zombies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
  #5747  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (8)
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Just got my pro4, and what are the must haves?
I've had good luck with the car in stock form. The only thing I've added is the Square transponder mount and the front diff.
Darkseid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 AM
  #5748  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
Super Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

You guys break c hubs?

I even bent out the pivot block but never broken a c-hub on the pro 4!

I have bent front aluminum body posts. They are bad for running outside i think... (I was running my pro 4 with friend's b4 and we collided head on and he bent my body posts. I bent it back a bit but it's useless) lol

PPL with body posts, do you cut them down?
Super Steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:08 AM
  #5749  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,212
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Super Steve
You guys break c hubs?

I even bent out the pivot block but never broken a c-hub on the pro 4!

I have bent front aluminum body posts. They are bad for running outside i think... (I was running my pro 4 with friend's b4 and we collided head on and he bent my body posts. I bent it back a bit but it's useless) lol

PPL with body posts, do you cut them down?
the stock plastic body post I trim down to about 2-3 holes higher than the body. the Aluminum ones I leave alone..but they can be cut down with a dremel or hack saw.
rc-zombies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 AM
  #5750  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
RCBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,962
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Just got my pro4, and what are the must haves? Or do I have it all RCBuddha?
I think you have it all! You may want to get:

1. new 1.1 version gears
2. HPI Backing plate (if your going to use the oneway)
3. extra arms etc....

You should already be pretty well set-up....
RCBuddha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
  #5751  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
rc-zombies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NorCal. Napa area
Posts: 7,212
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by RCBuddha
I think you have it all! You may want to get:

1. new 1.1 version gears
2. HPI Backing plate (if your going to use the oneway)
3. extra arms etc....

You should already be pretty well set-up....
for tuning get
new Pro4 springs and swaybars.
rc-zombies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:43 AM
  #5752  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
RCBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,962
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by onnetz
is that still true with progressive springs?
Progressives should be different, They get harder as they compress, so yes, you could use progressives if you can find them....I'm reffering to regular springs....
RCBuddha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
  #5753  
Tech Master
 
onnetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,727
Default

I knew you were referring to linear springs, but I was curious about progressive ones.
I found a few from HPI at towerhobbies...
onnetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 AM
  #5754  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by RCBuddha
Progressives should be different, They get harder as they compress, so yes, you could use progressives if you can find them....I'm reffering to regular springs....
Progressive springs won't work. They're too long (29mm)! Unless you're looking to run Rally.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:30 AM
  #5755  
Tech Master
 
onnetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,727
Default

Originally posted by kewdawg
Progressive springs won't work. They're too long (29mm)! Unless you're looking to run Rally.
yeah I found that out the hard way.. Its what I get for not paying attention when I ordered them.
they didnt work at all for my pro 4 but they do work nicely on the front of my tc3..
I think it depends on how you have your shock geometry set up.
onnetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
  #5756  
Tech Addict
 
Skill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 537
Default

Originally posted by Super Steve
You guys break c hubs?
I've broken several, all in the same way. Once the steering knuckle breaks it puts force on the C-hub and just snaps it, not of the bits I've broken have been a knuckle and C-hub together.

So far I've only ever broken one arm.
Skill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:41 PM
  #5757  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Skill
I've broken several, all in the same way. Once the steering knuckle breaks it puts force on the C-hub and just snaps it, not of the bits I've broken have been a knuckle and C-hub together.

So far I've only ever broken one arm.
Yeah I've broken them too. I've never broken a c-hub without at least stripping the hole for the kingpin screw in the knuckle.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM
  #5758  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

yeah, and that little flanged sleeve for the screw gets broken too.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:58 PM
  #5759  
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default

Originally posted by rc_square24

just a question...in situations where i need a stiifer suspension but have no harder springs.....will cranking the preload and leaving everthing else the same give abit of a stiifer sus. feeling? like for emergencies?
The shock pre-load collars are for adjusting ride height. The spring rate remains the same unless you use different springs.

If you use the droop screws to limit ride height, then the Car will end up handling very poorly.

Sway bars control chassis roll and in general cause that end of the car to have less side bite.

Springs are fairly cheap, buy a few sets in different rates.
popsracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
  #5760  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,596
Default

tsolokoy
Do share!!
Doug Gaut is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service