Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Old 04-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

oh at stormerhobbies they are $34.95 plus 6.95 shipping!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey i have a ????? pro4 racers

What springs work in car does the pro3 springs work i hear that associated springs work in car???? let me know! thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Just about every spring out there will work from Assoc to the Losi and of course the HPI springs.

The diff kit and the one-way kits do include the pinion gear as well as the ring gear. I have spares now.

I too read the article in R/C Car where it says the spur gear is metric but my car came with a std 64p gear. I use Robinson aluminum pinions and they meshed perfectly.

As far as the tweak issue. I have ran sedans for close to 12 years. I had many different brands. Some chassis remained absolutely flat and some had some pitch in the rear/front corners after some usage from wrecks and such. I found that there are so many other issues that can cause a cars handling to go bad that a slight tweak can be thrown in with things like toe-in/toe-out, right height, length of shocks, droop settings, clean or dirty bearings, suspension pin slop, bodies mounted crooked, tires out of balance-glued inproperly,weak servo savers, imbalanced shock packages, springs not being identical in tension and the list could go on. This may sound crazy but I never checked mine while building it and I have to say the first weekend out the car was an absolute dream to drive. I took it to a track that I normally have struggled on in the past and had a very successful weekend.

I guess all I am getting at is, give the car a chance after you build it and see if your fears are founded. If so, see if you can get some manufacturer support to rectify the problem but if the car handles fine, dont worry about it. Have fun and race!!! Its not like we are getting paid to do this nor are we winning giant purses.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Hey Pops...

Originally posted by popsracer
Yes the Chassis sits nice and flat without the Upper Deck. I am building step by step per the Kit manual, so I haven't made it to the Shocks yet.

Everything that mounts to the Chassis was tightened in a cross pattern. I even tried leaving the Camber link mounts loose on the Gear Boxes (thinking warping was here) but to no avail.

Going to contact HPI and see if they will warranty the Deck. I hate to pay for another one and have the same problem occur.

Thanks,
You're here in or near Corona, right??? If you want to borrow my upper deck to see what's going on, let me know...or give me a call (909)515-1205. I haven't gotten to "race" it (wink-wink) yet, so it's still like new.

I'm also out in the 949 pretty regularly (right by HPI), so I can go by there and get a new one for you if you're going to get it under warranty.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know someone that is selling there car because of the tweak problem. The chassis is tweaked on the the left side and guest what the car spins out turning left and pushes turning right. The car is a good car but the chassis tweak sucks
Old 04-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default car

do u think the pro4 would work better on a bmi conversion chassis
Old 04-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tweaked Pro-4

Guys;

First of all I have built enough Cars to know what is right and what isn't.

The whole lower chassis assembly built up without a hitch and lays perfectly flat on my Set-up Board. There is definately some missalignment going on here and I am not one to accept anything but perfection in my Cars.

Anyways, I ordered another Upper Deck from 'Tower' yesterday. Could be a month before I would get a replacement from HPI and money has never been an issue for me.

Last edited by popsracer; 04-10-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Pops,

I hope the new upperdeck will works out for you....I'm sure HPI will warranty the one that came with your kit if the new one fits.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:18 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well I ran the Pro4 tonight in 19 turn and it was pretty good. I will say the transmission is just as smooth and free as can be. Adfter one run it spun a long time even with foams on. Couldn't beleave have nice it was.

I built the car with 40wt oil and the #3 pistons. Car seemed a little too soft with tha oil setup. I did run the Rayspeed springs (Grays at 19.90lbs) and car leaned a little more than I wanted even with the stock front swaybar on. We run foams on an indoor asphalt track. I was thinking of going to 60wt oil to help with take away some of the lean or maybe going to the #4 piston and like 50wt.

Any suggestions? Overall the car was very nice to drive and alot of fun. No stripped parts like my other shaft car.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
Well I ran the Pro4 tonight in 19 turn and it was pretty good. I will say the transmission is just as smooth and free as can be. Adfter one run it spun a long time even with foams on. Couldn't beleave have nice it was.

I built the car with 40wt oil and the #3 pistons. Car seemed a little too soft with tha oil setup. I did run the Rayspeed springs (Grays at 19.90lbs) and car leaned a little more than I wanted even with the stock front swaybar on. We run foams on an indoor asphalt track. I was thinking of going to 60wt oil to help with take away some of the lean or maybe going to the #4 piston and like 50wt.

Any suggestions? Overall the car was very nice to drive and alot of fun. No stripped parts like my other shaft car.
WYD,

Try raising the roll center by taking away the spacers under the arm mounts or at the inner camber link. This should make the chassis flatter through the turn, and give it a stiffer feeling. Also try Hara's DHI setup, that should get you into the ball park.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Thanks. I did take out one of the front spacers on the camber link and it did help a little. I'm impressed with the car. Have alot of stuff I want to try on it thats for sure. Like my new BMI chassis set next week.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default Leaning too much

wyd;

You could try stiffer springs if the grip is there.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:32 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Default Re: Leaning too much

Originally posted by popsracer
wyd;

You could try stiffer springs if the grip is there.
I think I will do that. I will have to try a different brand spring as the Rayspeed Gray is their hardest spring at 19.9lbs. Maybe a Xray spring.

Hope you get your car tweak fixed. When it is truely messed up from material error that sucks. Sucks more to have to wait a month for a simple toplate.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What springs should I run?
I never ever played around with springs before... (pro2, xxx-s, tc3)

Sorry to bring up the never ending question, but what set up is (should be) right for me? I run on indoor carpet with foams tires (very tight with turns as seen in my movie...) addition of a body and tire traction compound would give me alot of traction. Right now i am running 100% stock settings but #4 pistons instead of the #3s...
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-122_2203.jpg  
Old 04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-121_2198.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.