Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by cartmen34
I'm still considering getting this car, and the only thing that has stopped me is this gear breakage and lack of parts. Since the car is new, I'm sure the parts will be out eventually, that is not a problem. But I have a question about this method of boiling the gear....

Why a pyrex bowl? Why can you not let the gear sit in any bowl you have just laying around the house?

And also, and this is directly to rc-zombies, what is this ultralon you are using on the gear? Is it an Rc product (something I could get at the hobby shop)? What purpose does it serve? Iim guessing it's just some kind of lube right?

Thanks ahead of time for the answers guys!

hahaha!! Silly boy-thats so you dont sue me when the bowl you use explodes and glass shards blind you!!

Ray
Old 03-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by CraigH
Erik did awesome job on the car. But I am surprised to see the gear problem because they have really out done themselves with this car.They have thought this one out very well. I can't stop looking at it. People that think Xray makes awesome stuff needs to look at the PRO4. I am not looking for them to fix it overnight. I understand manufacturing as good as anyone,but I just want a diff or some diff gear sets to replace what I break. Its hard to get something this good and NOT want to race it. Sorry for the lak of patience.
RC-zombie-Are you serious?

I'll say!! I was so close to getting an XRay, and within the last second I decided on the Pro 4. I have no race experience yet, but it looks so good and clean right now, I almost don't want to race it This may sound a little crazy, but since I purchased it a couple weeks ago, I always take it into work just to look at it
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
hahaha!! Silly boy-thats so you dont sue me when the bowl you use explodes and glass shards blind you!!

Ray
Oh seriously? I thought it might have something to do with some cool physical properties of the pyrex that allowed the gear to properly soak up the water better...or something like that... ummm... yeah.

As you can probably tell, I have a good imagination...and I'm no chemist major.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Ray
Makes me glad that I work in a lab. Free digital calipers, temp guns, scales, and pyrex glassware
Old 03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Ray you crack me up!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by cartmen34
I'm still considering getting this car, and the only thing that has stopped me is this gear breakage and lack of parts. Since the car is new, I'm sure the parts will be out eventually, that is not a problem. But I have a question about this method of boiling the gear....

Why a pyrex bowl? Why can you not let the gear sit in any bowl you have just laying around the house?

And also, and this is directly to rc-zombies, what is this ultralon you are using on the gear? Is it an Rc product (something I could get at the hobby shop)? What purpose does it serve? I'm guessing it's just some kind of lube right?

Thanks ahead of time for the answers guys!
Parts are entering the US now...just a matter of the distributors getting it out to the shops as quickly as they can.

Any bowl will work...

yea..it's a lube made by paragon...the stock lube that comes with the kit will do just fine... with the ultralon it dries on the part itself.. very thin lube...and may get obsorbed by the gear. I use it other parts of the car... it doesn't attract dirt... got mine from Tower...but your LHS should be able to get it....
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT02&P=7
Old 03-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rc-zombies
Parts are entering the US now...just a matter of the distributors getting it out to the shops as quickly as they can.

Any bowl will work...

yea..it's a lube made by paragon...the stock lube that comes with the kit will do just fine... with the ultralon it dries on the part itself.. very thin lube...and may get obsorbed by the gear. I use it other parts of the car... it doesn't attract dirt... got mine from Tower...but your LHS should be able to get it....
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT02&P=7
Excellent. Thanks zombies!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Any tips on filing down the battery slots?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default how this ray

Okay guys-lets see some laptimes and some comparison data between your old ride and the Pro4's!!! LIke I did 12.4 w/ my TC3-put the motor in the Pro4 and went yada, yada, yada!!!

YOu all have had them long enough!!!
I was working on the setup this week on my pro4 I am still running it in stock as parts are still scarce.

Some of the local guys and two hot shoes (mark smyka and mike haynes) were running 19t at rcmadness I was able to get within .2 running a stock motor!

check out this link and look at race #5 heat 4 and race #7 heat #1...the numbers do not lie and this is no b.s.

This car rips on a club race on thur I went .2 faster with a stock motor in my pro4 than I did with 19t in my losi.

I had a bad run at cleveland with my losi so I bailed on the nationals and now I am kicking myself for not signing up and getting the time off from work.

Now if I could get some tuning parts for front and rear toe and carbon driveshaft and lightweight input shafts this car would be deadly!!!

Jamie
Old 03-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default oops link:

http://www.rcmadness.com/350_JLap.asp
Old 03-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Beeb
Any tips on filing down the battery slots?
Not sure if this is the best way, but I just used a small fine tooth file at a 45 degree angle. I tried to make all of the edges look the same. It doesn'ttake much to file it down. I just tried to maek it look like the manual. Make sure to seal it with CA.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default pro 4

ok thats it i am getting my on friday!!!!! cant wait anymore!!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by dreambrother
I'll say!! I was so close to getting an XRay, and within the last second I decided on the Pro 4. I have no race experience yet, but it looks so good and clean right now, I almost don't want to race it This may sound a little crazy, but since I purchased it a couple weeks ago, I always take it into work just to look at it
even though you have no race experience...come watch the race on sunday and see how things are run. There is a beginner/rookie class...most of the racers are friendly and don't be afraid to go up to them and ask questions...we're all there to help each other out. Before you know it...you'll get addicted to racing and can't get enough of it....
and btw..you're not the only one that take their car to work... I tinker with mine before, during, my lunch break... just don't tell my boss....
Old 03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Toni, I just has 4 more come in and parts will be here on thursday.

Luis
Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: pro 4

Originally posted by trcmaddness
ok thats it i am getting my on friday!!!!! cant wait anymore!!
Finally some competition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.