R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side
Default Loose TC5, Help!

I just finished and raced my TC5 last night what a dream. The only problem I have is the rear end is very very loose. I will come through a corner and just lose it. The front sticks like glue. I am newer to the race scene and not sure of "tweaking" the car, any suggestions and helpful tips on how to change the running performance of my car. As a basher I just ran my other stuff now i see the importance of a GOOD SETUP.
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Side View Post
I just finished and raced my TC5 last night what a dream. The only problem I have is the rear end is very very loose. I will come through a corner and just lose it. The front sticks like glue. I am newer to the race scene and not sure of "tweaking" the car, any suggestions and helpful tips on how to change the running performance of my car. As a basher I just ran my other stuff now i see the importance of a GOOD SETUP.

What tires are you using? Ill assume your running the kit included diff? Im not really shure why your loose we just had 5 TC5 debute in the last 2 weeks at our carpet track, none where loose, some had the diff the others oneways. We run Sorex 28r or Takeoff cs22 on our track..

My guess is its a tire issue? Double check your rear toe settings though, one of the guys had a bum set of rear bearing carriers and instead of zero degrees he had positive, he had to shim the rear end ot fix the problem... Your looking for 2 to 3 degrees of rear toe, (some on both sides)
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Renuco612

I finally got my TC5.dialed in. Some of the guys suggested to run 2 different tires... I'm actually running RP 30s on the front and RP 24s on the back and some guys even took off the rear sway....and that was amazing how big of a difference that was.....so give that a try and I hope that helps ...... oh yeah that is on carpet though
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
I finally got my TC5.dialed in. Some of the guys suggested to run 2 different tires... I'm actually running RP 30s on the front and RP 24s on the back and some guys even took off the rear sway....and that was amazing how big of a difference that was.....so give that a try and I hope that helps ...... oh yeah that is on carpet though
juho levanan uses 3.5 degree toe in on the rear of his car..

i have found the tc5 like a stiff back end myself...
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

watch what shims you have in the rear arm mounts. you have a shim in all four moutns in the front, but you should only have the shims in the rear two mounts for the rearend. I actually had all four in the back end and it gave me 0 degrees of toe and that gave me a very loose car.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I had this problem when I took my TC5 for it's first drive. The car felt so loose that it was difficult to keep it under conrol on the straights. Luckily it was easy to fix. I adjust doop to one mm. in the front and two mm. in the rear. Give that a try. Make sure that your droop and spring rate are the same left to right; this is very important. Droop is often overlooked yet it has a dramatic effect on car handling.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no oneway?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am lookin at my TC5 right now...not sure what surface your running on but mine is set up for carpet....I am running basically out of box setup w exception of the sways mine was loose I removed them and made a big difference....my ride height is 4.5 frnt and 4 Rear...Droop 1mm frnt 2mm rear and make sure you check your tweak that will create several issuies....Tires I am running Dbl/pink rear and dbl/pink/orange Frnt.....you could run pinks in the rear or try stiffer Frnt springs......Craig Drescher setup on associated web site is close to mine and my car is nailed to the track......My 2CENTS hope it helps...
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

sorry I haven't responded been away for the week. I am running it out of the box set up. I run double pink rears and purple fronts on carpet. SOmeone suggested stiffer springs in front. What about softer spring in rear? Any others suggestions. I am running the box diffs, I have a oneway on the way but will it help?
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

check your rear droop if its too little the tires will actually loose contact on a turn or when your breaking

try five mm of droop..
give it a whirl
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Tech Master

you car would probably feel better if u ran dbl pink orange instead of purple fronts. try a longer rear camber link with 1-2 mm washer under rear hub 30lbs front sprng 17 to 20 lbs rear spring . rear camber link full long middle hole on tower otter hole on rear hub so car doesnt rotate as quick. shocks 3rd hole front and rear, and move rear shocks on the a arm to outter hole.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to TurboT

Quote:
sorry I haven't responded been away for the week. I am running it out of the box set up. I run double pink rears and purple fronts on carpet. SOmeone suggested stiffer springs in front. What about softer spring in rear? Any others suggestions. I am running the box diffs, I have a oneway on the way but will it help?
Take the one-way out and put a diff with a slightly tight setting in first. The one-way give you crazy steering into corners. I actually don't know ANYONE who runs a one-way with foams.

If it still feels lose, decrease your rear droop. If you're getting a rear tire off the ground under braking put stiffer springs up front to keep the nose from diving and you can also try setting the front up with anti-dive, as per the setup tips in the manual.

Softer springs in the rear can also help.

My guess is the one-way, though. Foam cars don't need one-ways because you have enough traction already to keep the corner speeds up. Rubber is different because you scrub speed off by sliding more, so a one-way is good to keep the front tires moving and keep up the speed.
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Victory....get those purples off the front...dont even think of the oneway on carpet w/foams unless you have a track with monster sweepers....Take off the sways if you havent....Run purple frnt springs and red rears....you can run softer rears and keep the cooper fronts but I went for the purple fronts and it really helped also I am running the DNA1 body and the body will also help settle the car down.....Run the Dbl/pink/orange fronts....I had the same problem at first but doesnt take long to get this car dialed....4.5 front ride height....4 rear also check your chassis for tweak if you've ben hittin the boards...easy way to tell is if it is loose right and pushes left your tweaked...
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Renuco612
Default Is my setup okay?

I am having some problems on the carpet. My TC5 is loose around the track. So I decided to try to set up my car like JUHO has his setup.

I am running rubber on carpet. I pretty much have his setup.

The one thing a don't have is a one way. I am running the spool right now. But I'm pretty sure every thing is else is pretty close. Do I need to run the one way, or should I put my diffs back on?
Futaba S9550
Orion 3200 Carbon
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Do you have anyone that has been around the block racing with you? If this is your first r/c car it's important to have someone who has experience check your work. Touring Cars are extremely complex and as others have said, the smallest things make a huge difference. Most local fast guys are more than willing to give any car the once over. Hope this helps.