R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

JUST TO CLARIFY: When I couldn't get the 9.6 amps was on a repeak, It only hit like 1 amp. I tried it today and when the battery is drained it charges at 9.6amp. I read this was safe from the orion tech guys. No one is even sure that there is a decrease in longevity, but one would assume there is. The pack doesn't get any warmer than at 4.8 amps.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #17

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840
Default re-peak

mike -- on a re-peak you are probally not going to get the full 9.6amps because of the way that the LiPo's charge. They decrease the amprage toward the end of the charge and then us small current and high voltage to finish the pack. So there was probally no problem at all of what you were seeing, just the charger doing what it is supposed to.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc9840 View Post
mike -- on a re-peak you are probally not going to get the full 9.6amps because of the way that the LiPo's charge. They decrease the amprage toward the end of the charge and then us small current and high voltage to finish the pack. So there was probally no problem at all of what you were seeing, just the charger doing what it is supposed to.
Yeah that is what I figured. Anyways I only got a little of time on the pack, but the voltage of these things feels awesome. That coupled with the lower weight made for a lightning quick 13.5 car.

I am waiting on a part for my tc5 right now, but hope to have more track time wednesday.

talk to you later

Mike
Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
If your charger isn't designed to charge at 2c for your pack mah, you are asking for trouble. You will get away with it for a while, but the law of average's will get you in the end. After all, we're only human. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't do it, but should you do it?
Don, The charger in question (The ORION ADVANTAGE Carbon Edition) is designed for this battery - has the proper settings...and works really good...

If you watch it when you are charging (the 3200's batteries) the amperage stays at 6.4 amps until the voltage hits 8.4 volts, then the amperages starts dropping quickly for that last 5% or so of the charge until the amperage just falls to nothing.

...something to remember if/when doing the 4800 packs... It contains MORE cells than the 3200 packs do. So unless I'm mistaken, even if you set the charger to 9.6 amps...I believe you have to break that amperage down per cell to see what each battery is actually taking.

With the 3200's having 2 cells, @ 6.4 amps, I believe each cell is only receiving 3.2 amps per cell. On the 4800's, where it has 4 cells, I believe each cell is only receiving 2.4 amps per cell (which would make sense, because I believe each cell in the 4800 pack are 2400 mah batterys)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Do you know how I can charge a MaxAmps 8000 LiPo on an Advantage Carbon? The max capacity is 5500 mAh. Any way to dupe the charger?
Yub, yub, cmdr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Tell the charger it's looking at a 9600 mih 2 cell and hang on to your hat. The charger still detects the same peak values so it's not an electrical disaster waiting to happen. People down our way are having good results with no damage showing.

Post the results if you survive !!

VV
Quote:
I have a duratrax ice and it is stuck at 1C charging rate too. Like was posted earlier, I have to increase the pack mah on the ICE for it to charge faster, but at the same time I lower max capacity charge.

For instance, when I charge my maxamps 4400mah pack and I want to charge at 6A, I have to set the mah to 6000 and I just set max capacity to 75%.

This is what I'm referring to.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote