R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Best brushless 3.5 motor to use with LRP Sphere TC Spec ESC

Have already ordered the LRP Sphere TC Spec ESC and now wondering which brushless motor is best to use with it, for touring car purposes of course. I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 turn brushless.

Would using a 'dedicated' LRP Vector X11 motor have any advantage over say a Novak or Orion?

Any recommendations? Would appreciate reasons why it's better also.
Lplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplate View Post
Have already ordered the LRP Sphere TC Spec ESC and now wondering which brushless motor is best to use with it, for touring car purposes of course. I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 turn brushless.

Would using a 'dedicated' LRP Vector X11 motor have any advantage over say a Novak or Orion?

Any recommendations? Would appreciate reasons why it's better also.
Orion or NOVAK
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

LRP's own motors since they're obviously tested, tuned and trimmed with the TC speedo. Other brand motors are fine, but LRP's own X11 line of motors are the most smoothest.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Orion or NOVAK
I say orion or LRP.....

Much better motors IMO, especially when it comes to the removable sensor wire, over the fruit loop thats permanent on the novak, and cutting it voids warranty's.....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
I say orion or LRP.....

Much better motors IMO, especially when it comes to the removable sensor wire, over the fruit loop thats permanent on the novak, and cutting it voids warranty's.....
when have you ever run a 3.5 motor? You can't give mod answers with only stock experience lil one Having tested with all of them the Orion was the worse to me and there are a few others at our track that have said the exact same thing. That's why the Orion is the loaner motor when someone wants to run mod with us. The LRP and Novak motors just like the Orion come down to personal preference. The Orion does seems to suck a bit more battery life compared to the other two but not enough to make you dump (if you have good batts) Having the replacement harness is a plus but the world won't end without it. Your help is appreciated but if you're going to help and answer someone's question....make sure that you can answer it and you're not preaching bias personal opinions. I'll catch you at a track soon and show you how well the ORANGE works. Don't let one bad experience stop you from trying something again.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
when have you ever run a 3.5 motor? You can't give mod answers with only stock experience lil one Having tested with all of them the Orion was the worse to me and there are a few others at our track that have said the exact same thing. That's why the Orion is the loaner motor when someone wants to run mod with us. The LRP and Novak motors just like the Orion come down to personal preference. The Orion does seems to suck a bit more battery life compared to the other two but not enough to make you dump (if you have good batts) Having the replacement harness is a plus but the world won't end without it. Your help is appreciated but if you're going to help and answer someone's question....make sure that you can answer it and you're not preaching bias personal opinions. I'll catch you at a track soon and show you how well the ORANGE works. Don't let one bad experience stop you from trying something again.
Well I was trying to state what I think.......... I dont run mod, but stock and 19T...... I like the orion more, but I would like to run LRP..... Novak was nice, no debut there, but I dont like the wire..... But hey, mod IS different..... Scotty runs the orion in 19 doesnt he? And Andy Moore run them ETC, there not bad, just different

You can out drive me, I dont know what the novak will do better then my orion will other then get hotter, and be quieter..........
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey, i run an Orion Vortex and it is awesome. It is the 4.5 version though..
For 3.5 i run the LRP Vector X11 3.5. It has been very good to me and i have had no issues what so ever and lots of power! All in all i would go for Orion 3.5 also if i had the chance!

Good Luck

Regards, Ryan
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would say the Novak 3.5. According to Marcos J who is pretty much "God", he says pound for pound, the Orion is a better choice and nicer feel. Power consumption aside (unless you are running an enduro, but who would do that with a 3.5?), he says it runs harder than the Novak. The non-removable sensor harness is a drag, but, I've come to live with it.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Tech Adept

I heard the Orion Vortex has air holes/open ends that unfortunately allow dirt to get in sometimes. Is that true?
Lplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

Yes it does because it aids immensly in cooling. You just have to open the thing up every once and again and run a brush through it.
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplate View Post
I heard the Orion Vortex has air holes/open ends that unfortunately allow dirt to get in sometimes. Is that true?
until they get that fixxed i'll just stick to my sealed brushed motors.

sorry couldn't help it, just joking around.

the only brushless motors i have used are the novaks, i can tell you from personal use the novak 3.5 with lrp tc spec speedo is a blast, it was smooth, powerful and had good braking, and nothing makes me smile like passing a nitro car on a nice long straight and then out braking em.

btw, 19t isn't mod.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
btw, 19t isn't mod.

I know, but if I were to run mod (I wish I could) id do orion

And from the sounds of it, im not the only one
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
I know, but if I were to run mod (I wish I could) id do orion

And from the sounds of it, im not the only one
Andy Moore is sponsored by Orion so you won't see anything else in his car but Orion. You're losing sight of the question and the point I was trying to make. The question was specific on the 3.5 motor and I know that you have played with stock and 19 turn motors but never a mod. Scotty does have the Orion 19 but he just wanted to try something different. I know that everyone at Norcal with the Orion mod motor has gone back to Novak or LRP. What works for Andy Moore may not work for us. Maybe with more testing they can get the Orion to work better. It has a ton more drag brake than all the other motors. You racing at Norcal this weekend? Come out and have some fun.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Andy Moore is sponsored by Orion so you won't see anything else in his car but Orion. You're losing sight of the question and the point I was trying to make. The question was specific on the 3.5 motor and I know that you have played with stock and 19 turn motors but never a mod. Scotty does have the Orion 19 but he just wanted to try something different. I know that everyone at Norcal with the Orion mod motor has gone back to Novak or LRP. What works for Andy Moore may not work for us. Maybe with more testing they can get the Orion to work better. It has a ton more drag brake than all the other motors. You racing at Norcal this weekend? Come out and have some fun.
I know........ If it was me, I would but the orion..... Good experience with there 10.5, would make me want there other motors......

Orion makes smaller rotors, which would get rid of the drag brake, I think someone said they come with a 14mm or something really big mm rotor.... Novaks are not that big, all I know is the new one is 13.5 mm...

Im not going to argue with you because I know you in person lol...... So I will stop

If your taking me, shure I will..... My parents wont drive that far for me to race yet, I am going to race at stockton, but for now its speedworld, since its only 10 mins at the most away
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
I know........ If it was me, I would but the orion..... Good experience with there 10.5, would make me want there other motors......

Orion makes smaller rotors, which would get rid of the drag brake, I think someone said they come with a 14mm or something really big mm rotor.... Novaks are not that big, all I know is the new one is 13.5 mm...

Im not going to argue with you because I know you in person lol...... So I will stop

If your taking me, shure I will..... My parents wont drive that far for me to race yet, I am going to race at stockton, but for now its speedworld, since its only 10 mins at the most away
Novaks rotor is 13mm