R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Now that Cleveland is finished hopefully they can get the website updated. I e-mailed Speed Merchant the other day asking about getting a front suspension kit and have yet to hear back from them. Hopefully I'll hear something soon because I want to put that front end on my Darkside.
Good luck I ordered and paid 6 weeks ago, no car, sent 2 E-mails, no answer, similar with 2 other racers in my area. If the 4.5 wasn't so good I'd look elsewhere. Guess I'll give it a few more days and then pursue pay-pal grievance. Especially since they shipped to shops for the shelves with pre-paid customers waiting

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #107
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Good luck I ordered and paid 6 weeks ago, no car, sent 2 E-mails, no answer, similar with 2 other racers in my area. If the 4.5 wasn't so good I'd look elsewhere. Guess I'll give it a few more days and then pursue pay-pal grievance. Especially since they shipped to shops for the shelves with pre-paid customers waiting
Yea, good luck. I had similar results and I bailed on the Speedmerchant. I figured if service was this bad before the sale, how bad after? This was back a few months ago.

Sort of glad now, checking out Dumas's car in Cleveland, even he was not using the new front suspension, old Associated front end on his Rev car. Looked like the plastic bulkheads were gone as well.

Feel bad for you.. I am lucky that I did not pay for one only to wait.
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #108
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Morning Guys,

Just a couple comments based on some of the posts recently.

Hung out with Bruce last weekend at Cleveland, and he's pretty much caught up with the back orders for the rev 5. For anyone who still is waiting, it will be out shortly. This sort of thing happens every time the new car is out, and as soon as the first spike of orders is shipped the shortage issues are over.

Dumas at Cleveland... he had electronics issues. 3 different speedos in the car, and it still seemed to thermal. Using identical motor and gearing setups as the other Trinity dudes, were all scratching our heads. Time for a fresh batch of elec's, and to start fresh. Dumas felt some inconsistencies with his car (not centering, and just felt weird) so with this being a huge event with limited time on the track Bruce decided to send him out with his old car, with rev 5 rear end. The issue ended up being a cracked servo case, and not the front end at all. Chris Mockerman proved that the new front end is dialed, as he preferred it to the old skool and I think he ran the kit setup.

Both Chris and Dumas were testing aluminum pod plates made by team tamale. This was the first tests for the mod guys with aluminum plates. ALL of our stock guys use and prefer the delron units as they offer a nice look, and some weight savings.

YO DONNIE!

Bruce said hes headed over to race at your new track. Congrats on your success racing the trucks bro. It was cool to see ya on SPEED. Hope to see you at the nats this year again.

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #109
Tech Adept

Default Dumas Speedmerchant Car at Cleveland

As Bevis said, I ran parts on the car that I was comfortable with, after having electronic problems for a couple races before Cleveland. By using the older front end I put myself at a disadvantage on the track due to limiting myself of not being able to adjust the front end accordingly for track conditions.

I feel the new Rev 5 is a step forward in the performance of the Speedmerchant car. The front end is way more adjustable and durable compared to any other front end on the market.

The rear end of the new car is great due to more room for wires to and from the brushless motors. I used the aluminum pod plates because Team Tamale is going to produce them for the new car. It was the first pre production aluminum plates made for the Rev 5. They did work great but for stock or 19 turn the delrin plates are most likely more than suitable.
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can attest to how good the Rev5 is. I am not a "team driver" - just a privateer that has loved the 4.5 and I just got my 5 on the track 2 weeks ago, and I can say it is just as good, if not better than the 4.5. The old skool was great, but you were extremely limited on what you could do with that style of arm, and the BL was a PAIN to get in....

The new front end is a beast and can take a beating with no tweak issues. Our current track layout can reach out and "bite" you if you aren't careful - and it bit me more than a few times with the 5 - but no tweak issues whatsoever.....

I actually have some of the rear pods Tamale has made, but I have yet to try them. I don't think they are necessary for stock and 19T, but with the crazy amount of torque some of these mod motors can put out - they might be needed....

I am going to run the Tamale rear pods this weekend to see if I can feel a difference at all....

With all that said....i am diggin' my Rev5
Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #111
Tech Rookie

This was my first race with the formula front end and I am extreemly happy with it. I only ran about 2 battery packs of 12th practice before I went to Cleveland this year so I was really behind on testing.

At the champs I ran the both the old skool front end and the formula so I could get a good comparison between the two on a high bite track. I found it much easier to do fast laptimes with the formula and the main was only my 5th battery through the new front end. It seems to generate more overall steering(especially high speed 180's), but you can run less throw so it's also less twitchy. I only ran the long camber links as I didn't have time to test them short or with reactive caster.

My car was VERY good in the main and here is the setup I ran.
Aluminum rear pod plates
blue shock spring
40wt losi shock oil
jaco dbl pink rears 1.76
jaco dbl pink fronts 1.65
4.5mm ride hight in rear
4.0mm ride hight in front
.23 side springs just above the links (I do not tweak the car)
.018 front springs
long camber links (kit setup)
3 degrees caster
2 degrees camber
Novak 4.5 w 13mm rotor geared 19/100
protoform body
cmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #112
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmock View Post
This was my first race with the formula front end and I am extreemly happy with it. I only ran about 2 battery packs of 12th practice before I went to Cleveland this year so I was really behind on testing.

At the champs I ran the both the old skool front end and the formula so I could get a good comparison between the two on a high bite track. I found it much easier to do fast laptimes with the formula and the main was only my 5th battery through the new front end. It seems to generate more overall steering(especially high speed 180's), but you can run less throw so it's also less twitchy. I only ran the long camber links as I didn't have time to test them short or with reactive caster.

My car was VERY good in the main and here is the setup I ran.
Aluminum rear pod plates
blue shock spring
40wt losi shock oil
jaco dbl pink rears 1.76
jaco dbl pink fronts 1.65
4.5mm ride hight in rear
4.0mm ride hight in front
.23 side springs just above the links (I do not tweak the car)
.018 front springs
long camber links (kit setup)
3 degrees caster
2 degrees camber
Novak 4.5 w 13mm rotor geared 19/100
protoform body
Mockerman is one hell of a racer and can throw down the Jose Cuervo 1300 Gold Margaritas!!!
M2_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #113
Tech Rookie

I'm guessing M2_Driver is Mike Maloney. Hi Mike.
cmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer

speedmerchant - one of the best 12th scales, poor customer survice and all that stuff. it shows its a one man show there.
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreameracer View Post
speedmerchant - one of the best 12th scales, poor customer survice and all that stuff. it shows its a one man show there.
As irritated as I am I don't have my 5.0 yet, I must agree with this statement. The 4.5 is the BEST I have ever driven.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

miller tyme,
Let me tell you its well worth the wait. The car is dailed. I'm traveling down to 360 this weekend with Bruce if you pm me your info I see whats up with your shipment.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #117
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
miller tyme,
Let me tell you its well worth the wait. The car is dailed. I'm traveling down to 360 this weekend with Bruce if you pm me your info I see whats up with your shipment.

don't do any good if you cant get one, i have had few of my friends order and never get one, had to get there money back . after 3-4 or more months of waiting and never getting a stright answer or a reply at all gets old. no matter how good the car is with out good customer service it takes all the great out of the car. if it don't inprove my next 12th scale will be crc or bmi.
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
miller tyme,
Let me tell you its well worth the wait.
Just drive your 4 until the 5 gets to you. I'm in the same boat expecting it this weekend. The great thing about you coming to 360 is in addition to Bruce, Kenny, Donnie and Sal, they're will be at least 10 guys running them to help with setup no matter which Rev your driving!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #119
Tech Adept

What is going on with this team and car...

Boice and Brown are not running the car anymore. Also heard that Baker refused to run the car and didn't even try to defend his title at the champs... guys are running the old front end and customer service is know where to be found...

Bruce. What is going on?
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
What is going on with this team and car...

Boice and Brown are not running the car anymore. Also heard that Baker refused to run the car and didn't even try to defend his title at the champs... guys are running the old front end and customer service is know where to be found...

Bruce. What is going on?
I'm pretty sure that Barry isnt allowed to run the car anymore. With the new contract and all.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote