R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Congrats to Steve Boice for his win last weekend at the IIC. He drove awsome all weekend in every class and deserved the win.

My Rev. 5 was very good and as fast as any car (couldnt quite put together 8 minutes all weekend but you really cant blame that on the car since Steve, Jarrod and Jeff could, lol). If you want to flame go ahead but you are missing out on a great product...
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats on the win in stock at the IIC. Stock is where most of the regular Joe's run there cars and that shows the car is solid performer for the customer class of drivers not just the pro's.
clinehobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Speedmerchant Rev 5---

The new Speedmerchant design is great... The Rev 5 won stock in Vegas where corner speed makes all the difference. In modified we obviously had some issues with items such as electronics and power situations. My opinion of the car is it is really good and extremely durable. Trust me I put it to the test in Mod hitting a car at full speed down the straight a couple of times and trying to move the center section of the track with the car. lol... The car never went out tweak and didn't break.

Obviously the front end is durable and different making it very adjustable, but the rear end is also different. The rear end of the car gives you more than enough room to use any motor from brushed to brushless and accessibility to drop the motor in from the top of the car.

Congrats to Steve B for winning the 12th scale stock A-Main at the IIC of 07.
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The Rev 5 is just a well engineered 12th scale car. My car was super easy to drive all weekend with no traction roll issues whatsoever. The car was so planted with tons of cornerspeed that I didnt even need superglue on the tires. All I can say is that Bruce has designed a winner.

Thanks again Bruce for all the help last weekend!

Steve

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #50
JCB
Tech Addict

ok guys,

when will the rev 5 be available to the public???
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #51

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The car is awesome. I was amazed how much corner speed it has, it just hooks around corners like it's on rails. The front end is very easy to manage and adjust. I also did some durability testing with the car, my radio had issues all week and I piped the car hard - full frontal crash into a solid corner board - the impact was enough it ejected a brush from my motor, split my speed control in half, and broke my battery pack. Car came off with no tweak or repair needed to the front end, didn't even split the carbon.

I did find the caster would walk a little and after 10 or so runs instead of having 3 degrees I had 1... but keeping on top of adjustments and rechecking the links after a crash is the solution to that. Doing entire front end adjustment takes just a couple minutes once you are familiar with setting it up.

Adjusting the car is easy. Having super easy access to the motor is also very nice. I can't wait to club race the car.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Sorry, I'm not a member of the SpeedMerchant ass-kissing society.

You might want to try it sometime... tastes just like chicken...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
The car is awesome. I was amazed how much corner speed it has, it just hooks around corners like it's on rails. The front end is very easy to manage and adjust. I also did some durability testing with the car, my radio had issues all week and I piped the car hard - full frontal crash into a solid corner board - the impact was enough it ejected a brush from my motor, split my speed control in half, and broke my battery pack. Car came off with no tweak or repair needed to the front end, didn't even split the carbon.

I did find the caster would walk a little and after 10 or so runs instead of having 3 degrees I had 1... but keeping on top of adjustments and rechecking the links after a crash is the solution to that. Doing entire front end adjustment takes just a couple minutes once you are familiar with setting it up.

Adjusting the car is easy. Having super easy access to the motor is also very nice. I can't wait to club race the car.
I like link front ends...always have since the EV10...but they are anything but easy to adjust. Turning 1 link adjusts both caster and camber at the same time so every time you adjust one link it alters the adjustment you just made on the last.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #54
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Sorry, I'm not a member of the SpeedMerchant ass-kissing society. I love how you guys get your panties in a bunch whenever anyone says something that isn't flowery nice about a product or a company. What I said wasn't even negative. All I said was that Bruce's "new" front end wasn't "new," but was a 25+ year old R/C design, as everyone including the SM marketing hype seems to want to make it out as something shinny new and original.

How's this sound... I'll go back to lurking, and you guys go back to sucking up to Bruce.
More like 10 or so year old design. Previous upper link suspensions were different in that they were an independant suspension not a ridgid lower arm.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #55
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
While the overall design isn't new, THE SIGNIFCANT IMPROVEMENTS made to the durability, and ease of adjustment are definitely NEW. Not having that Crappy plastic clevis on the top should make the front-end significantly better in a number of ways.

Why does everybody have to say something negative?
The plastic clevis was plenty durable. I had even ran mine with a nylon screw and it didn't break. I did upgrade to the aluminum ones though just because I wanted to.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #56
Tech Champion

The few pics I found have the upper links mounted on the inner most holes for the longest arm length. Do you find the car works better with the reduced camber change of the long arm?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

New Kits should be available from Speedmerchant in the next 2 weeks.

We sent 4-5 new kits home with Team Brood from the IIC, so they could sell them. You can probably call them today and have the new car tomorrow.

The long link made the car work similar to the old skool we were all so fermiliar with. Dumas used a shorter link in the Mains last sunday, and we were pleasantly surprised at the results. I havent tested the shorter links, but will do so in the next couple weeks.

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Looks as if the front suspension links / turnbuckles are steel? Could someone who has a kit provide the lengths so us must have titanium junkies can order some lungsford Ti rods.

Thanks

Although the front-end may look similar to older models, from what I've heard directly from those who've run the car its appears Bruce has improved upon a good design and made it that much better.

One more question - looks as if the front mounting screws thread into the carbon fiber lower front-end plate? has anyone noticed any play developing in the plate after a few hits? Is the carbon plate tapped or does the screws self thread?

and finally, my only suggestion / observation. It would be nice to have a few servo mounting holes drilled in the chassis for some of the popular 1/12th scale servos. just my 2-cents

Can't wait to crash test during the winter season.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Looks as if the front suspension links / turnbuckles are steel? Could someone who has a kit provide the lengths so us must have titanium junkies can order some lungsford Ti rods.

Thanks

Although the front-end may look similar to older models, from what I've heard directly from those who've run the car its appears Bruce has improved upon a good design and made it that much better.

One more question - looks as if the front mounting screws thread into the carbon fiber lower front-end plate? has anyone noticed any play developing in the plate after a few hits? Is the carbon plate tapped or does the screws self thread?

and finally, my only suggestion / observation. It would be nice to have a few servo mounting holes drilled in the chassis for some of the popular 1/12th scale servos. just my 2-cents

Can't wait to crash test during the winter season.
This is correct, the front end on this car is really easy to set-up, despite the geometry from similar past models.

Turnbuckles are 1 3/8".

Yes, the screws self tap into the carbon plate. My car took some serious hits (ran over at the end of the straight by a mod sedan, drove the car into the wall at the IIC...). The lower arm plate did not move or even loosen at all.

Some I have seen some prototype servo mounts that were machined from the same delrin as the pod plates. They allow for the servo mounting holes to be drilled slightly off. I don't know what is exactly shipping with the kit. Bruce has also devised a fairly easy way to align the servo prior to drilling. With the servos all having slightly different sizes it is important to drill for your specific servo. Side to side alignment is important.

Side note: I used shoe goo to mount mine. It has not moved (yet). This can also be done without modification to the chassis, as there is a clearance slot for the servo saver already milled into the chassis that allows the servo to be mounted absolutely flat.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #60

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We did get 4 cars from Bruce, and I've already sold them. I may have one available, but it's pretty much spoken for as well. All I had to say was "Rev5" and they were gone.

I also mounted my servo with shoe goo after breaking the servo ears. It held up just fine, Garrett also glued his in. Aligning and drilling the servo holes is very easy, they have a notch in the front plate for aligning your servo and some very easy to follow instructions - the only hard part is counter sinking the screws which is solved with a $5 countersink and a drill.

Quote:
I like link front ends...always have since the EV10...but they are anything but easy to adjust. Turning 1 link adjusts both caster and camber at the same time so every time you adjust one link it alters the adjustment you just made on the last.
I will have to disagree, while some other front ends may be harder to adjust I found that adjusting this front end is pretty simple and only takes a minute. I found setting the camber first, then the caster on one side at a time was all that was needed. While it is more work than a car with a molded front end it is not hard. I'm not just being a fan boy homer here, I really didn't find the front end hard to setup and get symmetrical.

Bruce describes how he does it on the site and that seems to work the best. Put a carbon rod through the link pin with the wheel removed - adjust camber, adjust caster, and move to the other side. Use a standard RPM camber gauge for all adjustments. Adjusting caster DID effect camber, but if you worked your camber first there was no issue.

Quote:
Yes, the screws self tap into the carbon plate. My car took some serious hits (ran over at the end of the straight by a mod sedan, drove the car into the wall at the IIC...). The lower arm plate did not move or even loosen at all.
Same here. I did find it a bit tricky to have the screw thread through the plastic plate AND the carbon plate evenly without creating any air gap. Possibly drilling this out and running a longer screw with a nut might be the key here, but could create tweak if the plate shifts. But as long as you paid attention to what you're doing it's not really a big deal.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote