Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #422
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sorry Timmy
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #423
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Question for the Rev 5 guys. How are most of you attaching the servo to the chassis, I'm not the guy with the steady hand to drill out the chassis for the mounts.

So my question is who's just servo taping or shoe goo'ing the servo to the chassis and how many are using the mounts?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #424
Tech Master

Most of the team guys in our area and Dumas run these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGHA2&P=7
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #425
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L View Post
Most of the team guys in our area and Dumas run these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGHA2&P=7
You would still need to drill the chassis for those. He wanted to know what are people using without needing to use a drill.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #426
Tech Champion

Well it's more of a bunch of local guys telling me they use servo tape instead of the mounts and they don't have an issue.

I'm a bit more apprehensive because I'm a hack and I don't know if that's going to hold up well enough.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #427
Tech Master

Adam my best advise is to drill and mount with some sort of mount. If you want I'll trace bottom of my chassis for you as temp let. You will need jr 3650 servo
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #428
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can shoe goo the servo to the chassis. I ran it that way for 1 year. but I can tell you that the first big race you go to with it that way and the thing will pop the shoe goo in your main. or at least that is what would happen to me. You should have had bruce drill the holes for you before he shipped. hell he build it for you. hahaha

btw, those are assoc mount. which are metric. not sure that bruce owns any metric drivers. lol

easiest way I have found to mount the servo is to shoe goo it where you want it and then find the mounts that you want and then drill the holes using the mounts as a template. also if you run the futaba servo, the mount holes are not as critical because the mounts for the futaba can be shifted a little.

before you start drilling, run the med kimbrough servo saver. it will mount a little different on the chassis. actually a little further rear then running the small servo saver.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #429
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
...You should have had bruce drill the holes for you before he shipped....
easiest way I have found to mount the servo is to shoe goo it where you want it and then find the mounts that you want and then drill the holes
What do you use (size, where did you buy it) to countersink the holes? Does SM really offer that service (drilling the chassis)?

E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #430
Tech Champion

Well I have plenty of metric, only thing that ticks me off is that I just sold my T4 with those same mounts in them lol

I wonder if the new Schuie ones will fit????????
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #431
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
What do you use (size, where did you buy it) to countersink the holes? Does SM really offer that service (drilling the chassis)?

E
team tamale makes some mounts that are alum that are exactly the same as what comes with the kit. I am having larry shrink the mount a little so that we can use 4 screws to mount the servo instead of the 2 from the stock mounts.

dumas is using something else. i forget the manufacture, but they are not the assoc mounts. I will call him and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Well I have plenty of metric, only thing that ticks me off is that I just sold my T4 with those same mounts in them lol

I wonder if the new Schuie ones will fit????????
adam, if you want the assoc mounts. I have a couple/three sets that I am no longer using. I just hated to have 2 set of wrenches in my bag.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #432
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
team tamale makes some mounts that are alum that are exactly the same as what comes with the kit. I am having larry shrink the mount a little so that we can use 4 screws to mount the servo instead of the 2 from the stock mounts.

dumas is using something else. i forget the manufacture, but they are not the assoc mounts. I will call him and ask.

adam, if you want the assoc mounts. I have a couple/three sets that I am no longer using. I just hated to have 2 set of wrenches in my bag.
I got a local buddy of mine who's gonna give me his set of Assoc ones so i should be good but I'll let you know
Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #433
Tech Elite

here is the image of the team tamale servo mounts

http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/s...target=tlx_new

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #434
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Adam, although I don't recommend it, I have used shoe goo in the past. It did once pop off the chassis like what was mentioned at a regional trophy race... It never popped off again.

Here's the trick, if you must use something other than screws... Pick up some Speed Merchant servo tape (BRP also has the same type, if you must...). Cut out a square that comes short from the edges of the servo by about 1/4". Remove the protective backing, then around the perimeter of the tape, put down a bead of shoegoo just a touch thicker than the servo tape. Center the servo saver over the hole, as mentioned in the manual, and press like hell. You are looking for the goo to form a nice radius like caulking around a bath tub.

The Futaba is the easiest to mount, as mentioned earlier...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #435
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Adam, although I don't recommend it, I have used shoe goo in the past. It did once pop off the chassis like what was mentioned at a regional trophy race... It never popped off again.

Here's the trick, if you must use something other than screws... Pick up some Speed Merchant servo tape (BRP also has the same type, if you must...). Cut out a square that comes short from the edges of the servo by about 1/4". Remove the protective backing, then around the perimeter of the tape, put down a bead of shoegoo just a touch thicker than the servo tape. Center the servo saver over the hole, as mentioned in the manual, and press like hell. You are looking for the goo to form a nice radius like caulking around a bath tub.

The Futaba is the easiest to mount, as mentioned earlier...
I'm using a Futaba 9650 so that should be easy enough, I'll try and when my buddy gives me those mounts I'll get Yang and AWD to mount them for me cause they're so freaking Captain awesome