R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #316
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
To polish the balls I find putting a screw thru the middle and chucking it into a drill and using polishing compound or toothpaste and cloth works well.
I got my balls polished.

Seriously, the drill and screw trick with metal polish worked beautifully.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #317
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Is there a pod in the works that will balance out the rear end with a brushless motor installed?

Most of the other companies have already done this and I just would like to know if this is something I can expect for my own Rev5.

Thanks
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #318
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

EvilGrafx- I'm not sure if Bruce is working on a different rear pod for the Rev 5. I can honestly say that with both my World GT and Rev 5 there haven't been any issues with getting the car to balance out using the balance pins. The results from Lia's past couple races show we are definitely not at a disadvantage with our current chassis layout.

I'll post if I hear an update on this topic.

Thanks
Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #319
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
EvilGrafx- I'm not sure if Bruce is working on a different rear pod for the Rev 5. I can honestly say that with both my World GT and Rev 5 there haven't been any issues with getting the car to balance out using the balance pins. The results from Lia's past couple races show we are definitely not at a disadvantage with our current chassis layout.

I'll post if I hear an update on this topic.

Thanks
Beavis
I don't feel hindered by the current pod, I just feel a great car could still be made better. Most of the other drivers of the other cars felt their cars were perfect before their upgrades but, afterward felt their cars were even better.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #320
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Donny doesn't need a better car. The one time this year I was ahead of him in the main the damned alarm clock woke me before the main ended and I couldn't fall back asleep...

You KNOW a guy is fast when you can't even beat him in your dreams...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #321
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

im running a rev5 . when i put it on the tweak board i have to crank the right tweak spring about 2-3mm down more than the right just to get it good. is this normal.
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #322
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie10 View Post
im running a rev5 . when i put it on the tweak board i have to crank the right tweak spring about 2-3mm down more than the right just to get it good. is this normal.
Hey Eddie. Sounds like somethings not right. You need to disassemble and reset your links, including polishing the link balls, check the center ball for play, and check the front end for binding.

There are very few scenario's where any of our setups call for actually tweaking the car. Most of the time with .23 springs we run the tweak springs all the way backed off, allowing some free play before the spring begins to touch the link. This works as long as all of the links are free, electronics are balanced, and front end is not binding.

Personally I will usually only run "tweak" in the car when I run the softer .21 spring on really low bite. Its not good to preload a progressively wound spring more than you have to, and if your screwing down one side more than the other your effectively running a stiffer spring on that side.

75% of the time a tweak problem can be found in the front end, so that's usually where I start. Its usually a collapsed front end spring or a kingpin that needs polished.

Hope that helps.

Beavis
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #323
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default agree

i agree with beav, most likely in your front end, a good check is take both your front tires off and measure the height of your axle off of a flat pit board. if each height is off more than .5-1.0 mm there is a problem. if your tweaking with pennies, your front end has to be dead on for it to work.. good luck.
nazman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #324
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LIPO

hey
Does anyone have pics for a good electronics layout for 1/12 lipo in their rev5. and im trying to find a good lipo Rx pack too...
MrSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #325
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Click HERE for a pic of a GenX with a pretty nice layout. Not a Rev5, but close enough to get a good idea...

Try THIS for a receiver pack... comes with a charger and not too spendy. pic below:

Last edited by Trips; 01-26-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #326
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I have a Rev5 listed in the For Sale thread
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #327
Tech Adept

First off I would like to give a special thanks to the Team Speedmerchant Owner, Bruce Carbone. As always, Bruce was working hard again to make my car get around the carpet track at the Snowbird Nationals. I would also like to thank Timmy, Kenny and Beavis for the additonal help this past weekend.

Congrats to Donny Lia for the wonderful display of driving in 12th 17.5 class. Because of his driving and the good handling car, he aquired the Top Qualifying honors and a win once again.

It was also nice to see everyone again.

Last edited by Mike Dumas; 02-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #328
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dumas View Post
First off I would like to give a special thanks to the Team Speedmerchant Owner, Bruce Carbone. As always, Bruce was working hard again to make my car get around the carpet track at the Snowbird Nationals. I would also like to thank Timmy, Kenny and Beavis for the additonal help this past weekend.

Congrats to Donny Lia for the wonderful display of driving in 12th 17.5 class. Because of his driving and the good handling car, he aquired the Top Qualifying honors and a win once again.

It was also nice to see everyone again.
Thanks Mike great job to you too finishing up in the top 3 after not racing for a year..awesome.

I also want to thank Bruce for all the help as well as Timmy..you the man Timmy.

A big congratulations go to my bud and partner Sal Amato for sticking his Rev. 5 in the 17.5 A, as well A main finishes in 17.5 Rubber and Foam (with a 3rd) . Awesome job to him, going from never before making an A at a National event to making the A in every class he entered, nice!

Sal and myself ran the exact same setup at the race in 17.5 1/12th on our Rev. 5's. The track really threw us for a loop with a ton of steering and the cars really on the nose, so there are some changes to what I normally run in my cars:

Front:
Jaco Prizm Lilacs trued to 1.60" glued all the way up
Camber and Caster arms in the middle, stock ballstud height
-1 dg. Camber
3.5 dg. Caster
Front tires shimmed out .040"
.20 Front springs
Green Spooge on kingpins
3.25mm Ride height

Mid:
30 wt. Oil in Shock
Red Center Spring
Old school associated antenna mount with long ballstud
Blue Tube spooge
.21 Side springs turned down just touching the links
3.25mm Ride Height
1.5mm Pod droop

Rear:
Jaco Prism Yellows Trued to 1.70" glued only at Rim
3.5mm Ride Height at rear of pod
172mm Rear width

Both cars ran Black Art body, 41/72 Gearing with Tekin RS 189 Software at full timing in sensored only mode with Speedpassion 17.5

I had fastest lap of the event with 10.2 and Sal had 2nd fastest lap of the event with a 10.3, both cars were dialed.
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #329
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice job all of you.

Now when are you getting into the big car?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #330
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Nice job all of you.

Now when are you getting into the big car?
Hey Jim
My 09 plans aren't done so can't answer exactly. Looking like a limited schedule (15-20 races)in the trucks (can't mention team yet) and full time in the mods goin for the title again. Cya at the track, thanks for askin
Donny
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote